Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2009, 11:19 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
. . . .so women do not need jobs. Send the women home, so men can be have the jobs and be the providers. I was told earlier today that women don't make good moms, either (Miu, post #58)---they just go shopping. What's to be done with them?

Maybe we need a thread "What do we do about all the women who are not intrinsically linked to being providers and are also not good moms, and are gumming up the works by either having jobs or staying home raising kids, neither of which they are intrinsically linked to doing competently?" Maybe we already answered that in that prostitution thread that was so active a few days ago.
How many women start and participate in riots as compared to men?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 01:59 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
All men must work

This is basically a religious argument about Mammon's sacred decree that all must work for the glory of god. All men must work so a few do not need to.

Sorry, Mammon's not my god. My god doesn’t care weather I work or not as long as there is enough money coming in. I'll drop out of the workforce in a second it unemployment lasted long enough and paid enough.

As it do not I must still waste good motorcycle riding time working? I really should have held out for sane rich parents.
If you will not work, then you shall not eat. Work makes you free.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:10 PM

25,702 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Work makes you free.
That's a crock (sorry, nothing personal). Being a member of the ruling class makes you free. If you think you are free by working, I don't know what to tell you. I work. I have to. End of story. I'm certainly not free. If I didn't have to work, I wouldn't do it. That doesn't mean I wouldn't 'work.' It's just that I can think of about a thousand ways I could spend my time working more productively. I just wouldn't need to do it for money. Truthfully, I'd probably work way harder than I do now. The time would just be spent doing the things I have a real talent and passion for. In that case, I'd say screw the money. If I didn't need it to live, I wouldn't want any part of it.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:12 PM

Work is a productive use of one's time. You can never spend too much time at work--I'd like to spend more there--even without compensation.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:17 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
If you will not work, then you shall not eat. Work makes you free.
Thank you, God.

Quote:
Work is a productive use of one's time. You can never spend too much time at work--I'd like to spend more there--even without compensation.

You are welcome to be a workaholic if you wish, but you have no right to compel others to join you in your same pathology.

"If work were such a wonderful thing, the rich would keep it all for themselves." ---Labor leader Lane Kirkland.

What man, on his death bed, has said "I wish I had spent more time at the office"?

Last edited by jtur88; 08-31-2009 at 02:26 PM..

Old 08-31-2009, 02:37 PM

Why waste your time on any other pursuit? Really? Even this is just time wasted that I'd rather spend at work...

Old 08-31-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Thank you, God.

What man, on his death bed, has said "I wish I had spent more time at the office"?
That would be me.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Why waste your time on any other pursuit? Really? Even this is just time wasted that I'd rather spend at work...
This IS work. If some people are paid to do this, then it is work.

In fact, I work harder every day composing clever and astute arguments, than the work that some people do for very good salary. There are Americans who today will be paid thousands of dollars, and all they did today was call a taxi to take them to the airport, spend several hours in first class, and then hail a taxi to take them to a 5-star hotel in time for a lavish dinner.. And they believe they worked hard for what they earned.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:43 PM

You work for the website? Even so, you're not being paid to espouse your opinions, you're being paid to moderate the forum.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
You work for the website? Even so, you're not being paid to espouse your opinions, you're being paid to moderate the forum.
Being paid is not part of the definition of work. You said so yourself. You'd work, even without compensation.

I think you need to define work as youu understand it to mean, instead of flippering the word around until you tilt the machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates