Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:04 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think there are characteristics of "boomers" which are positive and others which are not. On the positive side, our generation:

1. Sought and obtained advanced education.
2. Was interested in high technology and ushered in the computer age.
3. Cared about the environment. (global warming, air pollution, water quality)
4. Was active in political and civic affairs.

Unfortunately, a number of negative characteristics also define the boomers. Here are just a few of these:

1. Were too greedy. This must be broken into subpoints to fully understand it.
a. Allowed the difference between the wealthiest people in this country and the poorest to become ever greater.
b. Stood by while 15% of the population became unable to afford health insurance.
c. Pushed salaries for money managers, business advisors, physicians, and lawyers to obscenely high levels.
d. When it came down to it, really only cared about themselves and their kids. The rest of the country did not matter.

2. Despite participating in politics were completely willing to let bad presidents make dumb foreign policy decisions. Iraq should never have been invaded and if we had the money we spent there, the financial bailout would not look nearly so daunting a proposition. Nor should George W. Bush ever have been allowed to destroy the reputation of this country abroad the way that he did.

3. Cared too much about music, style, youthful looks, and appearance. This detracted from time we could have spent caring more substantive things.

4. Seemed to expect that age-old problems like racism or poverty could have instantaneous solutions. When we didn't get them we either became disillusioned, gave up, or moved on to other things.
On your positive points, I agree with everything except #3. The Boomers sold out on their environmentalist values. They and GenX are the ones who lusted for the biggest SUV's and McMansions the banks would lend them money for. FYI--those 2 things are not part of an earth-friendly lifestyle.

On your negative points:

On #1, in general, I agree with you. As for your sub-points.

1A--a lot of the difference between rich and poor was allowed to happen with the generation older than them on watch. However, Boomers began the trend of divorce and out of wedlock births....which has had a very big effect on creating large gaps between rich and poor (although the liberal media never mention this obvious fact). The rich tend to marry and stay married. The middle and working class tend to get divorced a lot. The poor have kids out of wedlock.

1B--This one isn't completely fair, either. What really messed up health care in the US can be traced back to World War 2. That's when they started giving health insurance as an employee benefit because of wage and price freezes during WW2. Previous to this, people paid out of pocket for their health care. We had a much more competitive, flexible, and cheaper health care system as a result (As a nation, we spent a MUCH smaller % of our income on health care 70 years ago). Between the government meddling and insurance companies, all we have now is an inefficient and bloated system that does not make people healthier and does nothing to try to prevent the chronic diseases that drive up costs. And we have a lot of people who don't take care of their health yet want every life saving drug and surgery when they get said chronic diseases, no matter how expensive. It would never have gotten this out of control if people had to pay the FULL COST of their health care out of pocket. All of a sudden, people would see the true cost of their unhealthy eating and lifestyle habits and a good number would change.

1C. I'm not sure if this is really fair.

1D. I half agree. I think they only cared about themselves, but not their kids. They seemed to think that their kids would be happy as long as they were happy. As in...."Hey the kids will be happy if we get divorced because we think it will make us happy" (NOT!). "The kids will be fine coming home to an empty house every day with no parent to guide them, 'cause we're both happy working full time in our careers." "After all, kids are resilient and will figure it all out themselves" (NOT!). And if we feel guilty, we'll just go out and buy them a bunch of stuff to make up for it (doesn't work!). Or we'll make up for it with "quality time" (more BS).

#2. I'm not even going to go there with you on this one. Let's just say I think you're being overly simplistic.

#'s 3 & 4. Agreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 08:29 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
I think our sorry state of affairs should not be laid on the doorstep of the Baby Boomers.

Our politicians, who decided on globalization, and shifted our jobs off-shore, hollowed out the bulk of our manufacturing in the pursuit of cheaper labor, are to blame. We're to blame for buying those cheap goods produced in those factories overseas. We were happy for the cheap prices.

Then we can also blame them for lax oversight on financial institutions that allowed the upside down mortgages and the derivative markets to bankrupt us, are also to blame. We're to blame because we got greedy and bought much more house than we needed and signed up for those crazy mortgages. We were greedy and bought the bill of goods they sold us.

Then there are those current politicians who want to shift more of the tax burden on the classes other than the wealthy class (reduce their taxes)--while removing any sort of social safety nets (social security, health care, social programs, public education) from the public. Will we allow this to happen to us, too?

The Baby Boomers? Hey, we're suffering as much as anyone else. So let's blame the Baby Boomer politicians, but not the bulk of the Baby Boomers.

Who's to blame? Not the Baby Boomers. Let's blame all of us who allowed this to happen. We voted for the scoundrels and sat by while they bankrupted us--and our nation.

Peace out,

Little Dolphin, a Baby Boomer

Old 11-15-2010, 08:15 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Nope they seem to have dojne alright . Its the welfare society that can't take care of themselves yet want to live well that has ruined this country. It doesn't work well when 50% pay nothing to run the country.Its like the healthcare debate now;many want others to pay for their healthcare plus their own. In the meantime they pay for internet access;cellphones and want to save their money to party. Those that are elible for medicaid get heathcare already plus hosuing assistance;food stamps and even heathcare for theirchildren. Its sucking the system dry to keep adding more and more[eople that should be helping pay but many either dropped out fo school;didn't bother to learn a trade that can earn a living( which means a skill someone will apy for) or are just lazy.Some thought that they could so into teh 21st cnetury using a screwdriver to assmble things that their grandfther and father did in times past even though they were told constantly they couldn't.They endup competing with a chinese peasant at that skill level is the truth.
Excellent post, although it's clear to me that the majority of readers might do the hate speech on you, texdav.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:31 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
LittleDolphin wrote:
I think our sorry state of affairs should not be laid on the doorstep of the Baby Boomers.

Our politicians, who decided on globalization, and shifted our jobs off-shore, hollowed out the bulk of our manufacturing in the pursuit of cheaper labor, are to blame.
I agree that it's not an accurrate allocation of blame to blame our sorry state of affairs soley on the baby boomers. The previous generation had a hand in it as do the generations following the boomers. However, blaming it on the politicians is a convenient shift of responsibility, because we the voters of all generations voted the sleeze bags into office, willingly voting for the lesser of two hand picked evils. Although we KNOW in our hearts that nothing is going to change no matter which of the two morons on the ballot we vote for, we allow ourselves to be fooled time and time again by telling ourselves.....this time it will be different.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
LittleDolphin wrote:

Our politicians, who decided on globalization, and shifted our jobs off-shore, hollowed out the bulk of our manufacturing in the pursuit of cheaper labor, are to blame.
I agree that it's not an accurrate allocation of blame to blame our sorry state of affairs soley on the baby boomers. The previous generation had a hand in it as do the generations following the boomers. However, blaming it on the politicians is a convenient shift of responsibility, because we the voters of all generations voted the sleeze bags into office, willingly voting for the lesser of two hand picked evils. Although we KNOW in our hearts that nothing is going to change no matter which of the two morons on the ballot we vote for, we allow ourselves to be fooled time and time again by telling ourselves.....this time it will be different.
I agree in part, but not in whole, with what you said. Both parties are not the same. And I do believe that the average citizen still has some (though it's eroding) control of our political representatives' actions.

What if we citizens get more involved in being watch dogs and following the way our representatives vote on bills that directly affect us?

When's the last time any of us called, emailed, or wrote to our political representatives to let them know where we stood on an issue and asked them to support/vote against the bill/issue? More likely, we complain loudly--and write on forums like this--but we must take direct action in communicating with our politicians.

Right now, it is this apathy that worries me. Apathy, and the need for campaign contribution reform, so that our representatives represent OUR concerns and not the concerns of the corporations (and the wealthy elite). Without campaign contribution reform, both of our political parties/candidates will be beholden to the entities that made the largest campaign contributions, right?

But, to me, there are still major differences between the two political parties.

Remember George W. Bush telling the wealthy attendees at a political fund-raiser:

"Some call you the haves and the have mores--the elite...I call you 'my base.'"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn4daYJzyls

Couldn't be clearer who Mr. Bush and his party represent. I'm not among the elite haves and have more's...are you??

Though an independent, I generally vote for the party that represents the other 98% of the population--those of us who not the 2% of the wealthy elites.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:55 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

Our politicians, who decided on globalization, and shifted our jobs off-shore, hollowed out the bulk of our manufacturing in the pursuit of cheaper labor, are to blame. We're to blame for buying those cheap goods produced in those factories overseas. We were happy for the cheap prices.

Then we can also blame them for lax oversight on financial institutions that allowed the upside down mortgages and the derivative markets to bankrupt us, are also to blame. We're to blame because we got greedy and bought much more house than we needed and signed up for those crazy mortgages. We were greedy and bought the bill of goods they sold us.

Then there are those current politicians who want to shift more of the tax burden on the classes other than the wealthy class (reduce their taxes)--while removing any sort of social safety nets (social security, health care, social programs, public education) from the public. Will we allow this to happen to us, too?

The Baby Boomers? Hey, we're suffering as much as anyone else. So let's blame the Baby Boomer politicians, but not the bulk of the Baby Boomers.

Who's to blame? Not the Baby Boomers. Let's blame all of us who allowed this to happen. We voted for the scoundrels and sat by while they bankrupted us--and our nation.

Peace out,

Little Dolphin, a Baby Boomer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I agree in part, but not in whole, with what you said. Both parties are not the same. And I do believe that the average citizen still has some (though it's eroding) control of our political representatives' actions.

What if we citizens get more involved in being watch dogs and following the way our representatives vote on bills that directly affect us?

When's the last time any of us called, emailed, or wrote to our political representatives to let them know where we stood on an issue and asked them to support/vote against the bill/issue? More likely, we complain loudly--and write on forums like this--but we must take direct action in communicating with our politicians.

Right now, it is this apathy that worries me. Apathy, and the need for campaign contribution reform, so that our representatives represent OUR concerns and not the concerns of the corporations (and the wealthy elite). Without campaign contribution reform, both of our political parties/candidates will be beholden to the entities that made the largest campaign contributions, right?

But, to me, there are still major differences between the two political parties.

Remember George W. Bush telling the wealthy attendees at a political fund-raiser:

"Some call you the haves and the have mores--the elite...I call you 'my base.'"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn4daYJzyls

Couldn't be clearer who Mr. Bush and his party represent. I'm not among the elite haves and have more's...are you??

Though an independent, I generally vote for the party that represents the other 98% of the population--those of us who not the 2% of the wealthy elites.
Both excellent posts and this boomer couldn't agree with you more!

Old 11-15-2010, 11:05 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
LittleDolphin wrote:
At the level of posturing, campaigning, and sound bites, they do seem different. Mostly, both parties talk about legislation, having a snowballs chance in hell of passing. They talk big and act small, knowing they will never have to walk their talk. They make it look like they are doing something for their we-the-people constituents. When the rubber meets the road, the demo-craps ALWAYS sell out to the the left wing special interests that funded their campaigns, and the republi-can'ts ALWAYS sell out to the right wing special interest that funded their campaigns. The will of either parties we-the-people constituents is completely dis-regarded. In that respect, they are two peas in the same rotten pod. And the sheeple in both parties keep getting hoodwinked in one election after the other, always at odds with the sheeple in the other party, failing to realize that they have more in common with each other than they do with the corrupt millionaire leaders of their own party.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 11-15-2010 at 11:29 AM..

Old 11-15-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
LittleDolphin wrote:
At the level of posturing, campaigning, and sound bites, they do seem different. Mostly, both parties talk about legislation, having a snowballs chance in hell of passing. They talk big and act small, knowing they will never have to walk their talk. They make it look like they are doing something for their we-the-people constituents. When the rubber meets the road, the demo-craps ALWAYS sell out to the the left wing special interests that funded their campaigns, and the republi-can'ts ALWAYS sell out to the right wing special interest that funded their campaigns. The will of either parties we-the-people constituents is completely dis-regarded. In that respect, they are two peas in the same rotten pod. And the sheeple in both parties keep getting hoodwinked in one election after the other, always at odds with the sheeple in the other party, failing to realize that they have more in common with each other than they do with the corrupt millionaire leaders of their own party.
There's an old saying, If you argue for your limitations, they shall be yours."

If we believe that we citizens (the non-elite, especially) have no voice in our political process and we call all politicians corrupt, then that will be our reality.

I myself am not there yet; not that pessimistic. I still believe we have a voice and need to get involved.

It's calling ourselves sheeple that creates the sheeple reality.

Remember what Kennedy famously said, "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."

What is each reader on this forum--Boomer or not--doing to make their voices heard in Washington?

I've done some, but I intend to do more. I can do better.

I think being a politician must be the hardest and most thankless job in the world. I want to thank them when they vote aligned with my values, let them know when votes are coming up which way I hope they will vote, and yes, even to let them know when they've voted the opposite of what I hoped.

Writing off the political process makes sheeple of us. I think we Americans have more gumption than that!

Old 11-16-2010, 11:49 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,813 times
Originally Posted by Memphis1979
My problem with the baby boomer generation is that it seems as though they were happy to rely on the laurels of their parents.

The baby boomers parents fought WWII, sent men to the moon, built the greatest auto indurstry in the United States, and many other accomplishments.

However, what did the boomers do? I can think of little that they accomplished on their own, other than the PC. The PC is huge, don't get me wrong, but that is just one aspect of our lives.

There is another way to look at this. When the WW2 generation entered the American scene around the mid 1930s this country was a gem with safe clean cities where people didn't lock their doors, where there were big happy neighborhoods and our cities were family towns where kids could feel safe being on the streets day or night. Even in cities like chicago there was a true American traditionalism that had a solid foundation based on values like morals, ethics etc. Now fast foward to the mid 1980s when the WW2 generation started to retire. Under their leadership every American city turned into dangerous, diseased, dirty places where everyone locks their doors and fear is the over riding element where-ever you are even in your own home or apartment. Our American innocence was lost under the leadership of that corrupt, aimless WW2 generation. Oh, and if you think it is to their credit that they fought in WW2 it was WW2 that put an end to traditional America. The truth is that the WW2 generation was an empty, aimless, corrupt, naive, mindless generation. The boomers followed that (de)generation and anyone who is a boomer was born into a society where traditional American values were not existent, thanks to the WW2 generation. Not that the boomers were any better but to put things right the boomers weren't the starting cause of America going down the tubes.

As far as putting men on the moon it was German rocket scientists that did that. America didn't even have a rocket program when the Germans already had the V2. And I'll add to that the fact that most inventions that we see around us today came from German inventors whoes inventions we stole during our WW2 plunder of Germany

Old 11-16-2010, 12:24 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Sure they are. That's because the Baby Boomers (Of which, demographically, I am one) are pretty much the generation of locusts, consuming the vast wealth that our country had so carefully amassed over the previous 200 years.

Think about it for a second. The savings rate that plummeted to zero. The jaw-dropping consumption. The ongoing runaway Id of the "Me Generation." All that coupled with the Baby Boomer's mantra of expanding the government to take care of every possible social ill, all combined to destroy our prosperity as a country.

From skyrocketing out-of-wedlock births to soaring drug abuse to the eroding expectations of our educational system, these all really began to accelerate when the Baby Boomers got their hands on the controls of this country. Oh the so-called Greatest Generation did have something to do with it. But largely their fault was to coddle the Baby Boomers by fulfilling their every whim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates