Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 01:32 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times

Advertisements

Based upon the percentages (odds) etc there are bound to be a few here that are the end product of a out of wedlock or a one night stand that goes back some generations that we are not privy of.

At the most a 3rd or 4th generation is about as far as we can go back assuming the info was obtained honestly.

History has shown so much "Hanky Panky" that makes a person wonder who they really are.

As for me (a great grandfather today) can trace my grandad back to Hungary in the Late 1800's. Before that have NO idea what transpired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 02:51 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
All of the studies show that children benefit from good parenting. The reason that two parent households show more benefit is mainly money, more money will be spent on the child in a two parent home. However, if both parents just sit their kid down in front of the TV all day and night, and never take notice of them, well, the kids grow up to be bad adults.

However, if a single mother pays her child extra attention, then that child is more likely to grow up to be a good adult.

Two parents has nothing to do with it, except money.
You don't think a child benefits from seeing their parents together in a stable and loving relationship? You really think that with all other things being equal, a broken home is on par with one that's intact?

As dysfunctional as my parent's relationship was, we still fared better than most of the people I knew who grew up in single parent households. My dad didn't make a lot of money either and my mom was a SAHM. In fact, I know more than a few single parent households that were better of financially than we were. Yet their kids ended up in jail.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:01 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
You don't think a child benefits from seeing their parents together in a stable and loving relationship? You really think that with all other things being equal, a broken home is on par with one that's intact?

As dysfunctional as my parent's relationship was, we still fared better than most of the people I knew who grew up in single parent households. My dad didn't make a lot of money either and my mom was a SAHM. In fact, I know more than a few single parent households that were better of financially than we were. Yet their kids ended up in jail.
Please. Now you want to opine that my child will end up in jail?

I'll put MY kid up against YOUR kid any day. Nah Nah.

That's what we're down to here.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:13 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post

Depends on your definition of "stable"

If stable is one man, one woman, with a stable financial situation, then no.

I know and knew to many people who were raised by stable financial households, but the parents hated one another after 10 years of marriage, and screwed up their kids. I also know parents who are raising kids now in dual parent homes who financially are fine, but yell, scream, and hit one another in front of the kids. I also know people who have the "silent" marriages. You know the ones who go to separate rooms and never talk. They are roommates with kids.

Those seem to be the "normal" households today. And no, they are not beneficial to their kids. Kids are better off in a emotionally stable one person home, then in the countless dysfunctional homes with multiple parents that are all across this country.

The idea of the leave it to beaver family is asinine.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:07 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:

I know and knew to many people who were raised by stable financial households, but the parents hated one another after 10 years of marriage, and screwed up their kids. I also know parents who are raising kids now in dual parent homes who financially are fine, but yell, scream, and hit one another in front of the kids. I also know people who have the "silent" marriages. You know the ones who go to separate rooms and never talk. They are roommates with kids.

Those seem to be the "normal" households today. And no, they are not beneficial to their kids. Kids are better off in a emotionally stable one person home, then in the countless dysfunctional homes with multiple parents that are all across this country.

You know you're cherry picking your examples to suit your POV don't you?

Old 10-28-2010, 08:19 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You know you're cherry picking your examples to suit your POV don't you?
Really, how many families do you know that aren't somewhat dysfunctional?

Over 50% of marriages are ending in divorce, its obvious it isn't a perfect world. I'm happy for the people who meet their soul mate, but most people just don't get that far.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Please. Now you want to opine that my child will end up in jail?

I'll put MY kid up against YOUR kid any day. Nah Nah.

That's what we're down to here.
I'm just posting about my experience. Don't be so self-absorbed. It's not about you.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:

And how many of those single parent homes are emotionally stable? I'm sorry but most of the single parent households I have seen were wrecks. I'm not asking for a "Leave it to Beaver" marriage, I just want people to be more choosy with whom they decide to have children with. I don't think that it's asking too much for people to hold off on having children with someone they're not sure they want to commit to for the long-term.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Really, how many families do you know that aren't somewhat dysfunctional?

Over 50% of marriages are ending in divorce, its obvious it isn't a perfect world. I'm happy for the people who meet their soul mate, but most people just don't get that far.

Well the concept of a soul mate is ridiculous and that's part of the reason why the divorce rate is so high.

Unrealistic expectations are what's killing marriage today.

Last edited by yayoi; 10-29-2010 at 08:05 AM..

Old 10-29-2010, 07:58 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
Denying that children in single parent families are statistically at a disadvantage is analogous to denying that height is an advantage in basketball. Sure, there are Spud Webb types in the NBA, but statistically tall players are more prone to professional success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates