Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:33 PM

744 posts, read 1,209,383 times

Advertisements

The test should include all illegal drugs, and like others have said testing for alcohol is good for applicants to certain positions. I feel that since Marijuana is still illegal it should be tested for. When I was enlisting in the Marine Corps in the summer between my Jr and Sr years in high school the recruiter asked me if I ever smoked pot, I said NO and he said let's answer this question with a once just incase I slipped up I could have a waiver for it. I let him know that I did not plan on breaking the law and using it and I would not lie to say I did. He had a problem with that at first. I understand people's position that Marijauna is not a harmful drug, but at this point it is still illegal and that makes anyone using it a criminal in my book. I do not want to work with people who would break a law just because they do not agree with that law. And before I have all the Pot heads say I probably break laws myself, I will admit occasionally I have caught myself on the highway speeding and once in over 20 years I have been given a ticket. Other than that I can honestly say I do not know of any other laws that I have broken. I say live your life right and who cares what kind of tests you have to take before getting a job, because you will pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 11:30 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
I'm personally against all drug tests for jobs. If a person is bad at their work because they're high it's obvious. You don't need to collect their personal bodily fluids for that. What a disgusting invasion of privacy.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:09 AM

37,122 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I don't mind. But I don't use any type of drugs and this makes my odds of getting hired better.
I know tons of people who use recreational drugs including family members and never say a word about it. But I don't and I feel good about myself because of that. Maybe even a little superior.
I guess the question is should people who don't break the law have a better shot at a job than someone who does? Yup
But I support the legalization of pot and at that point none of this even matters.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:21 AM

744 posts, read 1,209,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I'm personally against all drug tests for jobs. If a person is bad at their work because they're high it's obvious. You don't need to collect their personal bodily fluids for that. What a disgusting invasion of privacy.
What privacy is being invaded? The person is applying for a position to get paid for and the person who is going to paying them requires them to be at their best and not high. Seems reasonable to me. If the druggies do not want their criminal activity known then they should not apply.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:00 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'm surprised to see many of these responses.

In my view, the off-duty, off-premises behavior of an employee, or potential employee, is of no legitimate concern to the employer unless it affects his/her job performance. Consequently, I don't think any employer has any right to screen employees or applicants for any drugs, legal or illegal.

If the employee is not performing adequately, whether it's because of drug use or any other reason, they can be fired for their poor performance. If the employee is performing adequately it doesn't matter what they do in their off time.
It is so refreshing to see some folks still possess common sense. What amazes me is how complacent people have become in accepting policies and laws that legislate personal behavior. Personnally I think recreational drugs are a huge waste of time but, if my co-workers wish to get high on the weekend why should I care? So many people want desperately to control other's behavior, it's annoying. I agree with the poster above, if folks are high at work and unable to perform their duties, fire them for poor performance. What people do in their private lives is private, nobody's business.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:15 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
I'm not a user, but have friends who are, so I really don't have a problem with it. On the job? That's different. I would not want someone running heavy machinery (forkilft, crane, etc) being all stoned and out of it. That's how people get killed.
I was 1 in 50 in a shop where everyone was a pothead. I was the 1, the odd guy out. They made me a bit nervous to work around.
I am for drug testing, yes. A user should have enough respect to stay clean while finding a job, and not get high until they are off the clock.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:53 AM

874 posts, read 2,874,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
It is so refreshing to see some folks still possess common sense. What amazes me is how complacent people have become in accepting policies and laws that legislate personal behavior. Personnally I think recreational drugs are a huge waste of time but, if my co-workers wish to get high on the weekend why should I care? So many people want desperately to control other's behavior, it's annoying. I agree with the poster above, if folks are high at work and unable to perform their duties, fire them for poor performance. What people do in their private lives is private, nobody's business.
Common sense? The original post is asking about pre-employment drug screening. If someone is not able to control themselves enough to not do drugs KNOWING that they may have to take a pre-employment drug screening test coming up, that person either has a drug problem or no common sense and does not deserve a job. It shows how irresponsible the person is right off of the bat. Why take marijuana off of the test? Since users say that there is no addiction it should be easy for them not to smoke it for a few weeks or months while looking for employment.

Many posting here say they do not care if a co-worker gets high on the weekend but if they owned a business would they want someone who is using heroine, crack/cocaine, meth, etc. on the weekends to work for them? How long before that habit can't be confined to only the weekends? Why should an employer whose business relies on the performance of their workers have to wait for a drug addict to screw up his business to fire him or her rather than weed them out during the hiring process?

I worked for the NYPD and am glad that the department had random drug tests on employees throughout their careers. These were truly random with no warning beforehand. Any officer can be told any time during his or her shift that he/she has to go down and take a drug test. This order comes down from police headquarters so the supervisors do not even have any prior knowledge of when someone will be picked.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:22 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
Common sense? The original post is asking about pre-employment drug screening. If someone is not able to control themselves enough to not do drugs KNOWING that they may have to take a pre-employment drug screening test coming up, that person either has a drug problem or no common sense and does not deserve a job. It shows how irresponsible the person is right off of the bat. Why take marijuana off of the test? Since users say that there is no addiction it should be easy for them not to smoke it for a few weeks or months while looking for employment.

Many posting here say they do not care if a co-worker gets high on the weekend but if they owned a business would they want someone who is using heroine, crack/cocaine, meth, etc. on the weekends to work for them? How long before that habit can't be confined to only the weekends? Why should an employer whose business relies on the performance of their workers have to wait for a drug addict to screw up his business to fire him or her rather than weed them out during the hiring process?

I worked for the NYPD and am glad that the department had random drug tests on employees throughout their careers. These were truly random with no warning beforehand. Any officer can be told any time during his or her shift that he/she has to go down and take a drug test. This order comes down from police headquarters so the supervisors do not even have any prior knowledge of when someone will be picked.
If you read the body of my header you would have seen that I am for pre-screening. The tests that are administered these days it can be judged if you're stoned at the time of testing or if you smoked yesterday at noon. And furthermore one CANNOT OVERDOSE on marijuana. One can even die from alcohol poisoning. In other words... alcohol overdose. PLEASE people read the body of the headers before you comment. You don't head into a debate with preconceived notions and half the facts.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:02 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
I love the stereotyping going on that all people that smoke pot are pot heads, and are so irresponsible that they all come to work high. Sure it happens, and the ones that do obviously have no common sense! I would say the same for anyone that drinks on the job, or drinks and then drives! I also love how pot is considered the "gateway drug." If you think about it, cigarettes and alcohol are more "gateway drugs" than marijuana. I've smoked weed in the past, and never had the urge to do coke, heroin, meth, or any of that other crap! EVER!!!! Just hearing and seeing what that stuff does to people scares me. Hell, drunk people scare me, and I drink! Funny, I know, but I've worked in bars as a DJ for years, and I've seen how crazy and stupid people can get when they drink too much.

Furthermore, what about all of the prescription drugs out there that the government is trying to get people hooked on. They have a freakin' pill for EVERYTHING now!

Can't sleep? Here take this.

Can't get an errection? Here is a little blue pill.

Anxiety? Depression? We've got just the thing for you.

And how about the side effects for some of these drugs? Have you ever heard some of the disclaimers? May cause drowsiness, upset stomach, diarhea, stroke and some instances death! OK I'm being funny about the "death" part, but you know what I mean. No thanks!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:29 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBrennanDad View Post
What privacy is being invaded? The person is applying for a position to get paid for and the person who is going to paying them requires them to be at their best and not high. Seems reasonable to me. If the druggies do not want their criminal activity known then they should not apply.
They are taking your bodily fluids and examining them. If someone can't do their job because they're high then it's obvious, so what's the point?

Besides, pot is usually the only thing that shows up since it stays in your system for 30 days, while most hard drugs that actually matter on the job only stay around for a couple days. Alcohol is probably the worst drug to be using on the job, and it isn't even tested for. So what's the point?

Besides, they're examining your bodily fluids. What a disgusting invasion of privacy (yes I repeated myself).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates