Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 09:13 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
No, you ignoramus. YOU aren't quite getting it. I have never done anything to hold back black people. 1 There are FAR FEWER African Americans than black Americans. Just because their skin is dark does NOT mean they were born in Africa, so you can start by getting that through your head. 2 Secondly, why is it you think all white people are out to get the blacks? 99.999999% of whites have never said a hateful word about blacks or done anything hateful against the ethnic group. How hard is it for you to understand that I do not need to go to an art show, or read a book to have knowledge of the struggles of the poor? Just because someone is poor, does not mean they are oppressed, it does not mean they have less opportunities to learn and grow. In fact, there are more programs to help poor people in this country, and people of color, than there are to help rich, white kids, who may still have deadbeat, dirtbags for parents. Don't you see that people like you keep perpetuating these myths of hatred and anger, and in doing so, are pushing the cause for advancement of blacks backwards? You are doing nothing but slowing down progress by being a narrow minded idiot and demanding that white people "stop and admit, take a look around and immerse themselves" into a culture that they may not care about, and why should they? If they don't want to be involved in the black art scene, then so what? If they don't want to read works of literature by black writers, then so what? People are allowed their individual preferences, and that DOES NOT make them racist or hateful. FWIW, I grew up poor, low income, in a bad part of town, I played sports at the YMCA with plenty of black kids, played baseball with plenty of black kids. The kids that played sports are the ones who had parents that gave a ****. It is not the fault of a race, it is the fault of parents, for what kids grow up to become. Good parenting=good children=good adults. You can place the blame of poverty on white people, or the fact that there are more blacks in jail, whatever you want, but get some real facts, and a little common sense.
1 They were not born in Africa.....and they were also not born black (this font is black).....so whats your pont? Why is your misnomer more valid?

2 So let me get this right. Lets just take the white population born before 1960. That is probably like 60 million white folks who are age 50 and over. Many, if not most, of these people were alive during the era of segregation and all the ugliness of the South (and North) and pre civil rights. This was an era of accepted racism and bigotry....and we are to believe your claim that few of these people every said negative things about blacks....or discriminated against blacks....or worse? Where were you educated?

Old 04-30-2010, 09:15 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Of course you are not liable for your father’s crimes unless you benefitted from them. If he robbed banks and you knew he robbed banks and you willfully accepted the proceeds of the robbery, then you are indeed liable as well. If you lived in a home that your father paid for through his crimes of bank robbery……..should you be allowed to stay in the home?
I'm not sure yours add up either...I don't think white people nowadays benefited from the tragedies of exploiting the AA back then. Plus, how can one be liable for something when one was not even born during that time period?

Old 04-30-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
My family dates back to the early 1700's in the n.western and s.western Pennsylvainia area and never lived south of the Mason/ Dixon line. We never owned slaves, so, according to what you're saying I owe nothing, Correct?
Did your ancestors fight in the revolutionary war to free this nation from England? If not.....you should be a citizen of England and not America, Correct? Did any of your ancestors help write the constitution? if not, you should not be be entitled to any rights from it, correct? Did your ancetors............., etc, etc, correct?

Old 04-30-2010, 09:33 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,191 times
Quote:
Did your ancestors fight in the revolutionary war to free this nation from England? If not.....you should be a citizen of England and not America, Correct? Did any of your ancestors help write the constitution? if not, you should not be be entitled to any rights from it, correct? Did your ancetors............., etc, etc, correct?
I am not sure about the revolutionary war, but I know for sure my GG grand father fought on the side of the north at the battle of Gettysburg, so I want payment for your freedom since you benefited from him fighting.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:42 AM

64 posts, read 105,715 times
Aren't most cities in America majority white? It seems the writer of the article is of Asian descent so maybe he feels unwelcome in Portland as opposed to other majority white cities? Certainly looking through the boards some States seem more averse to non-whites than others. Or at least that's the impression one gets reading these forums...how representative they are of real Americans I don't know.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
I am not sure about the revolutionary war, but I know for sure my GG grand father fought on the side of the north at the battle of Gettysburg, so I want payment for your freedom since you benefited from him fighting.
Technically, if your ancestors did not fight in the revolutionary war.....you’re not even a citizen (by your logic), and neither was your ancestor who fought in Gettysburgh. However, I will give you points for that evasive maneuver. The point is that your statement of family personal involvement has nothing to do with how the debts of a society are paid. You tried to argue that you should not be liable because your ancestors played no role in slavery. I countered that your ancestors did not play a role in many of the rights and benefits that you now enjoy today. You could not maintain your argument and was not intellectually honest enough to admit it…..so you did a misdirection/obfuscation. This shows the absence of integrity on your part.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:54 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,861,111 times
Quote:
1 They were not born in Africa.....and they were also not born black (this font is black).....so whats your pont? Why is your misnomer more valid?

2 So let me get this right. Lets just take the white population born before 1960. That is probably like 60 million white folks who are age 50 and over. Many, if not most, of these people were alive during the era of segregation and all the ugliness of the South (and North) and pre civil rights. This was an era of accepted racism and bigotry....and we are to believe your claim that few of these people every said negative things about blacks....or discriminated against blacks....or worse? Where were you educated?

Misnomer, then what shall we call them? We certainly can't call them african americans, blacks, should we call them "people of color" or "darker pigmented citizens" ?? Yes, my misnomer is more valid, it is an accepted term by Americans, and since the majority of these people are not of direct african descent nor were they born there, what would you have us call them? Certainly not "those people" or "negroes"

So, 60 million white folks may or may not have been racist, or made racist remarks, MAY OR MAY NOT. You don't know, you weren't there with every one of them, every time. You are going to use that as a basis for argument? And no, you are to believe that very few of todays citizens, NOT JUST those alive during segregation have said negative things about "people of color", since we can't say black either... So, without personal attacks, this time, give me something that makes sense.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:59 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,861,111 times
Quote:
Technically, if your ancestors did not fight in the revolutionary war.....you’re not even a citizen (by your logic), and neither was your ancestor who fought in Gettysburgh. However, I will give you points for that evasive maneuver. The point is that your statement of family personal involvement has nothing to do with how the debts of a society are paid. You tried to argue that you should not be liable because your ancestors played no role in slavery. I countered that your ancestors did not play a role in many of the rights and benefits that you now enjoy today. You could not maintain your argument and was not intellectually honest enough to admit it…..so you did a misdirection/obfuscation. This shows the absence of integrity on your part.
So wait, if his family didn't fight in any wars, he doesn't deserve to be free? That's about the least intelligent thing I think I have ever read here. Your logic, if you can call it that, is severely flawed. I was in no way, personally responsible for slavery, yet you think I should be made responsible, because I'm white and live in America? That is a minority mindset, along the same lines of "I deserve everything that everyone else has, even if I'm not willing to work for it"

You belong in the loony bin with this broad... Judge in Tampa scolds mother who shows no gratitude for profuse aid given her and 12 kids - St. Petersburg Times

Old 04-30-2010, 11:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
IMHO the problem with all white cities would be cultural boredom.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Misnomer, then what shall we call them? We certainly can't call them african americans, blacks, should we call them "people of color" or "darker pigmented citizens" ?? Yes, my misnomer is more valid, it is an accepted term by Americans, and since the majority of these people are not of direct african descent nor were they born there, what would you have us call them? Certainly not "those people" or "negroes"

So, 60 million white folks may or may not have been racist, or made racist remarks, MAY OR MAY NOT. You don't know, you weren't there with every one of them, every time. You are going to use that as a basis for argument? And no, you are to believe that very few of todays citizens, NOT JUST those alive during segregation have said negative things about "people of color", since we can't say black either... So, without personal attacks, this time, give me something that makes sense.
When you say "Americans" are you referring to Canadians, Mexicans, Brazilians...etc, etc. You do know that there is no country officially caled “America” doesn’t you? We live in the "Americas", a continental land mass named after Italian explorer Amerigo Vespuci. Technically, we are the United States of North America. Canadians, Brazilians, Argentineans, Venezuelan, Mexicans, etc, are all countries of the Americas. Thus, while you ponder whether people should be called Africans or black.....ponder if we should be called "Americans" as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates