Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:40 PM

11,252 posts, read 11,025,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Drug testing costs money and the govt. will surely have to foot the bill.
They won't have to. Let the potential recipient cover the initial charge of the test ($50-60), and when they pass, the cost of the test will be refunded in the form of benifits. If they do not pass the wiz quiz, tough luck. This test will also be of a random, repetitive nature, with the same outcome as mentioned above each time it is administered. I'm sure this kind of a measure would be considered racist, of course. But, can we really expect any less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 11:27 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
let them buy what ever food stuff they want. when the food stamps are gone for the month its gone. poor people can plan their meals without outside interference, they want to blow it all in one week, that is on them, not us

Old 04-30-2010, 11:39 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
I can tell you a story from my own experience many years ago while between jobs. I was in line paying for my groceries with food stamps. The lady behind be started griping because I had 10 pounds of shrimp in my basket. She was upset because I wasn't having to buy hamburger like she was.

I pointed out to her that the hamburger she was buying (the cheapest) was $1.98 per lb while the shrimp I was buying was on sale for $1.09 per lb. She got out of line and went to swap her burger out for shrimp.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:40 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,056 times
Quote:
I think they should all be tested for drugs, but that's another topic.

I agree. Drug addictions are outrageously expensive. If there is money for drugs, there is money for food.

Aside from that, I don't really care what people buy as long as it's food. The food stamp money will run out and they will either learn to shop more frugally or have to buy the rest of what they need out of pocket.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:57 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Condoms!

Old 05-01-2010, 08:44 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I agree with Hothulamaui. They should be able to buy whatever they want. But they can't turn around and whine that they're being deprived nutritionally, when they waste the food stamps on junk food.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:57 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
I was at the grocery store yesterday and overheard a couple ahead of me bickering about the groceries.

The guy had separated the soda from the rest of the food items. The gal asked why. He said there are some things that you just shouldn't pay for with food stamps, soda is one of them. It's like cheating the government. He then said something completely stupid, racist, and the girlfriend snapped back at him and said she was hardly that person just because she buys soda with her food stamps. If the government says it is acceptable, she's buying it.

Made me think, I'm all for people eating well, but really? Do any of you feel people on food stamps shouldn't buy what they enjoy? Are Twinkies and frozen hot wings the equivalent of taking advantage of the government?
The trouble is, how hard would it be to regulate what people can buy with food stamps?

Would it cost more to regulate it, than to allow people just to buy whatever they want?

Old 05-01-2010, 09:09 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The trouble is, how hard would it be to regulate what people can buy with food stamps?

Would it cost more to regulate it, than to allow people just to buy whatever they want?
Good grief, you guys don't even know what you are bitching about, do you? The government DOES regulate what people can purchase. There are stickers on the price tags at the grocery store indicating which items are eligible and which aren't.

Food stamps are designed for one thing only: to keep people from starving to death so that the rest of society won't have to feel guilty about letting people die. They are NOT designed to provide balanced nutrition. Recipients would need three or more times what they receive now in benefits, to truly have a healthy diet.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:20 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Good grief, you guys don't even know what you are bitching about, do you? The government DOES regulate what people can purchase. There are stickers on the price tags at the grocery store indicating which items are eligible and which aren't.

Food stamps are designed for one thing only: to keep people from starving to death so that the rest of society won't have to feel guilty about letting people die. They are NOT designed to provide balanced nutrition. Recipients would need three or more times what they receive now in benefits, to truly have a healthy diet.
My mother has food stamps, she uses them just like cash at the grocery store. She can buy anything she wants, except beer.

She's bought T-bone steaks, Lobster, Sushi, all different kinds of stuff.

Should someone on food stamps be buying those things, no. I tell my mom she is playing the system, and she doesn't care. Its legal, not right, but legal.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:33 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
They won't have to. Let the potential recipient cover the initial charge of the test ($50-60), and when they pass, the cost of the test will be refunded in the form of benifits. If they do not pass the wiz quiz, tough luck. This test will also be of a random, repetitive nature, with the same outcome as mentioned above each time it is administered. I'm sure this kind of a measure would be considered racist, of course. But, can we really expect any less?
My thought is that they probably wouldn't be able to afford that 50-60, if they're applying for food stamps. But that is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I can tell you a story from my own experience many years ago while between jobs. I was in line paying for my groceries with food stamps. The lady behind be started griping because I had 10 pounds of shrimp in my basket. She was upset because I wasn't having to buy hamburger like she was.

I pointed out to her that the hamburger she was buying (the cheapest) was $1.98 per lb while the shrimp I was buying was on sale for $1.09 per lb. She got out of line and went to swap her burger out for shrimp.
LOL! That's funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Condoms!
Though I'm pretty sure I know where this would go, would you mind elaborating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I agree with Hothulamaui. They should be able to buy whatever they want. But they can't turn around and whine that they're being deprived nutritionally, when they waste the food stamps on junk food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I think Memphis meant how much of what they can splurge on. The complaint by so many is that "their money" is paying for stuff they can't even afford, or stuff that isn't even considered real food, like candy, soda, cupcakes and the like. It would be easy enough to limit how much shrimp or filet mignon they could buy, or remove it from the list of acceptable items all together.

Quote:
Food stamps are designed for one thing only: to keep people from starving to death so that the rest of society won't have to feel guilty about letting people die.
I'm sorry, I just don't think society cares that much, especially when they're griping about "their money" and how these people should give up any quality of life they have left in order to receive "hand outs". All the shaming shows just how happy they would be to let these people starve.

Quote:
They are NOT designed to provide balanced nutrition. Recipients would need three or more times what they receive now in benefits, to truly have a healthy diet.
I actually looked up the SNAP website. One person can receive a max of about $200 a month in benefits. I'm a pretty good shopper. I might not be able to go completely organic (and I didn't grow up on organic and managed to live this long), but I could easily make 50 bucks work a healthy diet for a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates