Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:39 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
but I could easily make 50 bucks work a healthy diet for a week.
Really? You can? Then why don't you? I mean if it is really possible, and you're so smart, then you would already be doing this, rather than simply claiming you could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 01:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Don't most states now use the cards to keep the past problem with those being able to use individaul food stamps as anther currency to by drugs?

Old 05-01-2010, 01:51 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Really? You can? Then why don't you? I mean if it is really possible, and you're so smart, then you would already be doing this, rather than simply claiming you could.
Are you arguing that one person can't eat healthily for $50 per week? I spend less than $100 per week to feed my family of four (two adults and two children), and we live in a high COL area. I don't think that $50 for ONE person is a stretch at all.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:53 PM

191 posts, read 457,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I dunno, it really sounds like sour grapes. Those who are on welfare are not living the good life. And if they spend carelessly, they will go without, like anyone else. I say if you qualify, take advantage of what you have paid into.

I agree. I'd have a problem with this as well. Drug testing costs money and the govt. will surely have to foot the bill. But, considering how much they are losing in welfare fraud, it would probably be worth it.
I think it is funny that you assume they ever paid into it. I don't have any great statistics to back up the following statements, but I do have some personal experience.

I have been a teacher for years. I have watched 14 year old girls go on welfare once they get pregnant and drop out. Their mothers, who are approximately only 15 years older than their daughters, are also on welfare. So, those girls have never paid into the system.

Truth is, if the only people who ever went on welfare were those that have fallen temporarily on hard times then this discussion wouldn't need to exist. It is those that choose to stay on welfare for their entire lives, because at the end of the day it pays better than minimum wage. Also, young parents can't afford child care on a minimum wage salary.

Like I said, I don't have any great studies or stats to offer. However, in my little microcosm that is a Title One school, I have seen what welfare has done to families. Truth is, I believe it has hurt as many as it has helped. It encourages complacency and laziness. There is nothing about it that attempts to help people become their greatest selves.

So, yeah, I do think there should be limits on what you can buy. And maybe, if you choose to go and get that minimum wage job, instead of losing all your benefits you just lose some. Perhaps you could even get rewarded with soda.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:57 PM

191 posts, read 457,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I agree with Hothulamaui. They should be able to buy whatever they want. But they can't turn around and whine that they're being deprived nutritionally, when they waste the food stamps on junk food.
Remember, those same people buying junk food, becoming obese, and then developing Type 2 Diabetes are also having their health bills paid for by taxes.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:10 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
My mother has food stamps, she uses them just like cash at the grocery store. She can buy anything she wants, except beer.

She's bought T-bone steaks, Lobster, Sushi, all different kinds of stuff.

Should someone on food stamps be buying those things, no. I tell my mom she is playing the system, and she doesn't care. Its legal, not right, but legal.
and why isn't it right? she's buying meat, protein. protein is a needed nutrient. what, would you rather she buy spam?

I never understood why people care so much what other people buy w/ their food stamps. like kodaka said, people like your mother will likely run out of benefits before the month is out and will regret buying all that expensive food. I agree, food stamps is not there to provide a proper, nutritional diet for recipients. if people want to spend all their benefits buying soda, candy, and other crap, let them. what they're buying doesn't affect you so why do you care so much? (yes, I know people will bring up the health care issue, but people who are buying junk food on food stamps would likely be buying it w/ their own money. it's unlikely they were eating wholesome food before getting food stamps then, upon getting them, said "screw it, it ain't our money, we're buying junk food tonight!")

Old 05-01-2010, 02:12 PM

378 posts, read 424,552 times
HIPSTERS ON FOOD STAMPS

They're young, they're broke, and they pay for organic salmon with government subsidies. Got a problem with that?

Hipsters on food stamps - Pinched: Tales from an Economic Downturn - Salon.com

Old 05-01-2010, 02:33 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
HIPSTERS ON FOOD STAMPS

They're young, they're broke, and they pay for organic salmon with government subsidies. Got a problem with that?

Hipsters on food stamps - Pinched: Tales from an Economic Downturn - Salon.com
hey, can't fault them for eating healthy food.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:48 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
seems many people prefer poor people and their families to live on top ramen and government cheese. after all they are poor low class and don't deserve a decent meal, if they did they would go to work and earn a better living. seems a cruel way to look at humanity if you ask me

Old 05-01-2010, 02:54 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Don't most states now use the cards to keep the past problem with those being able to use individaul food stamps as anther currency to by drugs?

I would think so

busta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates