Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 06:08 PM

11,239 posts, read 11,015,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Don't most states now use the cards to keep the past problem with those being able to use individaul food stamps as anther currency to by drugs?
I have known some people who let others spend $100 on their welfare card in exchange for $50 in cash. 2 for 1, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
HIPSTERS ON FOOD STAMPS

They're young, they're broke, and they pay for organic salmon with government subsidies. Got a problem with that?

Hipsters on food stamps - Pinched: Tales from an Economic Downturn - Salon.com
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
seems many people prefer poor people and their families to live on top ramen and government cheese. after all they are poor low class and don't deserve a decent meal, if they did they would go to work and earn a better living. seems a cruel way to look at humanity if you ask me
There is a big difference between a decent meal and $9/lb. organic chicken vs. $2/lb. regular chicken that MOST people eat. I made this argument earlier with using benefits to acquire food from Schwan's home service vs. shopping at Winco and Wal-Mart and getting the same item for 1/4 the cost. I'm not saying that you settle for trash food. I'm saying you buy modestly and smartly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 11:07 PM

378 posts, read 424,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post

There is a big difference between a decent meal and $9/lb. organic chicken vs. $2/lb. regular chicken that MOST people eat. I made this argument earlier with using benefits to acquire food from Schwan's home service vs. shopping at Winco and Wal-Mart and getting the same item for 1/4 the cost. I'm not saying that you settle for trash food. I'm saying you buy modestly and smartly.
Initially, I was appalled by the story of the "hipsters" on food stamps buying gourmet food. I'm not saying good people who have to get food stamps should be forced to eat hamburger helper, but I thought the money should be used in moderation and for sensible purchases.

On the other hand, considering that the government perpetually assists lazy, career welfarists and breeders, I think why the hell shouldn't someone who is responsible and smart but falls on hard times take whatever they can from the government?! I'd much prefer my tax dollars be used on a "hipster" eating salmon than on some damn illegal alien or lazy-ass breeder stealing those tax dollars.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:42 PM

64 posts, read 33,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
please so poor children don't deserve a twinkie every now and again?
Humanity has survied for the overwhelming majority of its existance without Twinkies, so I am sure they can survive without them. However, if they are deemed essential, they can be bought with non-food-stamp "money".

Old 05-02-2010, 05:49 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooster View Post
Are Twinkies and frozen hot wings the equivalent of taking advantage of the government

I would proffer that such purchases made with food coupons are taking advantage of your fellow countrymen. A shamefull and disgraceful thing, I thing any rational fellow would affirm. Food coupons should provide nutrition, not convenience, "comfort food", snacks etc., Just basic nutrition. To do otherwise is to steal under colour of law.
It's called taking advantage and they don't care. the guy that lives down stairs from me is on SS disability, sec 8 pays his rent and he gets food stamps. He is also a crack head. So he has no incentive to work and is free to smoke crack and listen to music all day. This is all courtesy of Uncle Sam. I think now that I am retired I will apply for food stamps.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:56 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
hmm, so she's paying for beer w/ food stamps? if that's the case, you're lying since food stamps don't cover alcohol.

you sound very bitter and jealous. the car may not have belong to them. the jewelry could have been a gift. they could have been fairly well off before the recession and come upon a lot of obstacles that put them on gov't aid. until you know the whole story, don't judge. your whole post comes off as sour grapes. when my house burned down, I had to use gov't aid. I have no doubt people saw me walking around w/ my nice mini disk player (which I'd left in my locker at school so it wasn't destroyed), Timberland boots (left outside the front door so weren't damaged), and purebred dog and assumed I was some welfare queen abusing the system, which was far from the truth
Need is one thing, but some people think they should be entitled to food stamps for the rest of their lives. Some of these idiots are drug dealers and since the money they make isn't reportable income, they qualify for the freebie give away programs and yes it does pizz off the middle class working man and rightfully so.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:08 PM

378 posts, read 424,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
But, I will buy whatever I darned well please with the funds I have paid into; my money. I don't answer to anyone but the government.
Unless you exceed in expenditures what you paid in - then, you're living off the tax dollars of others.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:29 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I was at the grocery store yesterday and overheard a couple ahead of me bickering about the groceries.

The guy had separated the soda from the rest of the food items. The gal asked why. He said there are some things that you just shouldn't pay for with food stamps, soda is one of them. It's like cheating the government. He then said something completely stupid, racist, and the girlfriend snapped back at him and said she was hardly that person just because she buys soda with her food stamps. If the government says it is acceptable, she's buying it.

Made me think, I'm all for people eating well, but really? Do any of you feel people on food stamps shouldn't buy what they enjoy? Are Twinkies and frozen hot wings the equivalent of taking advantage of the government?
Not really. If the government says you can buy soda with food stamps, I don't think it would be immoral to do so. For example, I was part of a government-funded program for disadvantaged undergrad college students that were thinking of attending grad school or getting a doctorate. Part of our funds were allocated to travel food, and when we traveled, we ate at a sushi restaurant, had ice cream from an ice cream parlor right afterwards, etc., all on the government dime. Your taxes at work At least for me

But whether you SHOULD be restricted from buying some items with food stamps is another matter. If you look at the statistics, you'll see that sufferers of obesity tend to have lower incomes than the general population. These are the kinds of people who tend to get government food assistance. In my opinion, the government should not subsidize food purchases that will have serious consequences for our health system years down the road. Because these people are low-income, and a lot of them will likely be low-income in years to come, their medical care as a result of their obesity will likely be funded by taxpayers.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:02 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
Unless you exceed in expenditures what you paid in - then, you're living off the tax dollars of others.
I guess we can nickel and dime this. All of my money goes towards a select few, or it is spread out in silver among many, for however long. Either way, it is hardly enough to entitle me to dictate what all these people should put in their grocery carts or what they should and shouldn't own. What we put in hardly makes us their gravy train but to hear some of these people with the "my money" argument, you'd think we were. So, by that logic, they would not be paying my way if I end up on welfare, I'd be paying my own, as are so many others who have paid into this.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:39 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times
I'm just curious to this point, have any of you naysayers ever had the need for government assistance?

If someone wants to buy soda with foodstamps, then a person with common sense would buy the 78cent store brand 2 liter, someone scamming the system, and comfortable with doing so, will be buying a 24pack of cocacola cans. You know a 3lb bag of shrimp for 5.99 can make about 8 pasta dinners for 4 people? Alfredo sauce and linguini, and you got 8 meals for less than 20 bucks, amazing, huh? I don't believe there are enough limits on government assistance, and not enough is done to curb abuse, but some things are glaringly obvious, like the woman who gets out her escalade, two babies in tow, 26" rims, lots of gold, strolls in and applies and is approved, but the poor white woman who borrowed money to take the bus and had to leave her 3 kids at home, is denied.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:11 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
hmm, so she's paying for beer w/ food stamps? if that's the case, you're lying since food stamps don't cover alcohol.

you sound very bitter and jealous. the car may not have belong to them. the jewelry could have been a gift. they could have been fairly well off before the recession and come upon a lot of obstacles that put them on gov't aid. until you know the whole story, don't judge. your whole post comes off as sour grapes. when my house burned down, I had to use gov't aid. I have no doubt people saw me walking around w/ my nice mini disk player (which I'd left in my locker at school so it wasn't destroyed), Timberland boots (left outside the front door so weren't damaged), and purebred dog and assumed I was some welfare queen abusing the system, which was far from the truth

They may have had cash benefits. The less money you make and the more dependents you have the more they give.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates