Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 10:04 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,160 times

Advertisements

IS, you think that there are entire school districts that are ALL black? I'd love to see that. And if that IS the case, then why isn't something done about desegregating those schools? I know, because no self-respecting parent WANTS their kid to go to a school full of hoodlums and thugs. If you tried to put 20 white kids into an ALL black school, they'd all be physically assaulted within the first week. But you're all for the racist all black schools, so I guess we should keep it that way.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:18 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I will watch that later at night. If you can summarize it I can comment but I don't have an hour to watch this video.
I thank you for taking the time to watch, let me know what you think. You my be in for an eye opener or not.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:21 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
From reading previous posts, Indentured was raised in inner-city Detroit, graduated from a state college, works as a professional and currently lives in a predominately white neighborhood. Guess racism didn't stop him from achieving the American Dream. Does he think he's special or more able to rise above all the evil white oppressors than the neighbors back home who still live in poverty and eschew education? Why do you give those back home a pass on their personal responsiblity for poor life choices, IS?

Old 05-24-2010, 10:25 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I couldn't get that video to come up, but looking at the writing around it, brought to mind Boyz in the Hood.

Boyz in the Hood (1991), written and directed by John Singleton ( he's black) at the age of 24. It's a quasi-documentary of his life growing up.

In his brilliance, he brought to light just how dramatic a roll nurturing plays in a person's outcome.

Doughboy (Ice Cube) lived with his single mother. She did not respect his father and raised him hard handed, belittling him and not caring whether he made it or not. He was shot down in the streets. He had no chance of getting out.

Ricky (Morris Chestnut) was Doughboy's brother. Their mother respected his father (different than Doughboy's) and tried very hard to raise him to be a success but she did not raise him with intelligence. He was recruited by a college to play football. He was shot down in the street while walking home from buying milk for his baby. His chance to get out was shortlived.

Tre (Cuba Gooding Jr.) was brought up by his no nonsense father because his mother knew the importance of a boy growing up influenced by his father's strength. He was brought up to understand the importance of education and staying out of trouble. He later graduated from college.

Three young men. Three different upbringings. Three different outcomes connected to each upbringing. All grew up on the same block in a black neighborhood.

My older daughter and I went to view this movie many, many times. We discussed it for hours after each viewing.

My young daughter and I watched this film many, many times, and we have discussed it at length. My VHS copy is worn.

I believe black people can save themselve if they want to. They can't depend on white people to save them because we aren't of the same mentality, good or bad. They oppress themselves because it works for them as an excuse to not have to make the effort to overcome.
Try googing Hip Hop Beyond beats and rhymes. the video is 1 hr, but there are shorter versions if you google it. I suggest watching the full video though to get the entire effect of what the hip hop culture is about.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:33 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
Hip-hop culture = ghetto trash. That's all there is to it. It is a cancer, especially for black people. Yes, there are some good, intelligent, upstanding rappers, but they are few and far between, and usually not mainstream.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:34 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Hip-hop culture = ghetto trash. That's all there is to it. It is a cancer, especially for black people. Yes, there are some good, intelligent, upstanding rappers, but they are few and far between, and usually not mainstream.
And over 70% of it is sold to upstanding white youth. Kill the demand and you kill the supply. Its not rocket science.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:41 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
IS, you think that there are entire school districts that are ALL black? I'd love to see that. And if that IS the case, then why isn't something done about desegregating those schools? I know, because no self-respecting parent WANTS their kid to go to a school full of hoodlums and thugs. If you tried to put 20 white kids into an ALL black school, they'd all be physically assaulted within the first week. But you're all for the racist all black schools, so I guess we should keep it that way.
There are a lot of school disctricts in Michigan were the schools are nearly 100% black or minority. Benton Harbor, Detroit, Muskegon heights...etc.

Take this school in the city of Detroit. It ranks 22nd out of 817 public high schools in the state. Why do only 16 white kids go to this school given that it is in the top 95th percentile of schools in the whole state? No thugs...no gang banging....just academic excellence.

http://imgwww3.schooldigger.com/temp/dnc-79908144.png (broken link)

Or Cass Technical High school....another high ranking Detroit public school.

http://imgwww3.schooldigger.com/temp/dnc-1564423724.png (broken link)

Old 05-24-2010, 10:46 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post

FYI, suburban White kids are the largest purchasers of hip hop and gansta rap.

As with many genres of music originated by Black artists (jazz, blues, r&b, doo-wop, etc) - the number of Whites who have embraced and support the music surpasses the number of Blacks.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:10 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
It is still predominately black people producing that dreck. When people think of gangster rap, they don't think of white suburban kids, they think of black thugs.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:16 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,798 times
Jesus Christ people....we are not going to get anywhere by belting out little one-liners about each other's "group" ad nauseum in an attempt to "one-up" the other person. This thread will go on for another 50 pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.