Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 08:15 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
I'd say that's a toss up and depends largely on what you're talking about (I was mostly kidding).

? You're getting that where? Your link doesn't back it.

"Older TVs" is rather vague; depends on the year and the make. Our 60s vintage color TV didn't. And even if they did, the point remains that they lasted a lot longer, backing the OP's point. I also find this "throwaway electronics" thing rather bizarre.
The link states that over the last several years, life expectancy has increased by over 20% from 1970, to 1991. From around 5.5 years in the 70's to 7% in the 90's.

http://www.rff.org/Documents/RFF-DP-98-20.pdf

While this link debates the reason why cars are living longer, it still proves they are living longer.

Even if you agree with the argument in the link I just posted, it shows a improvement in car maintenance and lower costs, still increasing a cars life.

In the end, cars last longer today, for whatever reason, then they used to. Which refutes the OP's premise.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:21 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
For a lot of things, the option is still there to get a really well made product. The catch is, it's gonna cost you.
People are short sighted. Wyh buy something that's very expensive when you can have a similar shoddy version for a fraction of the cost? In the long run, buying quality always wins, but people generally don't think long term.
I totally agree with you. As someone who was raised on the cheap, unless you have really had an experience with "quality" items, you have no idea. A couple of months ago I had a temporary gig where I was cleaning condos by the lake. There was this one condo that was owned by a surgeon and had VERY, VERY expensive furniture. Honestly, I had never experienced anything like it before in my life. The little top drawers of the dresser had dark blue velvet in the bottom. It was really something.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-28-2010, 08:58 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The link states that over the last several years, life expectancy has increased by over 20% from 1970, to 1991. From around 5.5 years in the 70's to 7% in the 90's.
Exactly. Which again doesn't back your 200K claim.

Quote:
While this link debates the reason why cars are living longer, it still proves they are living longer.

Even if you agree with the argument in the link I just posted, it shows a improvement in car maintenance and lower costs, still increasing a cars life.

In the end, cars last longer today, for whatever reason, then they used to. Which refutes the OP's premise.
No, it doesn't. The premise was things not made with as much "integrity," which I belive means not as high in quality (OP feel free to confirm/deny).

Old 05-28-2010, 10:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
There are quite a lot of things that are "better" now than they were in earlier decades, but generally, their improved quality comes from technological improvements, rather than better workmanship. Workmanship, by definition, is highly labor-intensive, and labor has increased in cost more rapidly than raw materials. You can still buy excellent, long-lasting things that are made by hand, by skilled craftsmen, but such workers are now paid top dollar, instead of the lowly working-man's wages of the mid 20th century, which has disproportionately multiplied their cost.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:34 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,661 times
Check this out: Video of Romancing the Road by Growing Bolder, at growingbolder.com

Old 05-29-2010, 05:44 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,321,401 times
Quote:
Exactly. Which again doesn't back your 200K claim.

No, it doesn't. The premise was things not made with as much "integrity," which I belive means not as high in quality (OP feel free to confirm/deny).
Yes, that is exactly what I meant. Why should I have to step UP in quality to get the same old quality that we USED to get with the average purchase on the market. Products that are cheap...are cheap and we are not talking about buying cheap on this thread. My reference is really the medium or average quality product of yesteryear when purchased today seems more frequently to be garbage, and I use that loosely across the board of many products, but I am speaking about same company name, same model types (obviously they wouldn't be the same model, but I am comparing average quality to average quality models from then and now) and the moderately cost products. Today, if you don't buy the best on the market...you might as well buy the cheapest because spending the extra for the average is just not worth it...IMO, of course. And...out of curiosity it can't just be what I buy, can it? lol

Old 05-29-2010, 05:49 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,215,209 times
Nope.

Houses are another. They just try to slap them up as quickly and cheaply as possible w/little regard to quality.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Nope.

Houses are another. They just try to slap them up as quickly and cheaply as possible w/little regard to quality.
Workmanship on homes is also on the list. My house has had some major repairs before the 10 year mark that were totally structural and poor workmanship issues. Luckily, I didn't have chinese drywall in the mix. That is a level of garbage all to its own. So, yes - even homes. I have a 2500sqft home that I paid $145,000 for 10 years ago. That would have been Medium costs, so once again...did I waste my money? LOL It's is really sad that we can't expect the same quality we used to get for the same moderate priced product. It's maddening actually.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:06 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,349,473 times
Quote:
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Workmanship on homes is also on the list. My house has had some major repairs before the 10 year mark that were totally structural and poor workmanship issues. Luckily, I didn't have chinese drywall in the mix. That is a level of garbage all to its own. So, yes - even homes. I have a 2500sqft home that I paid $145,000 for 10 years ago. That would have been Medium costs, so once again...did I waste my money? LOL It's is really sad that we can't expect the same quality we used to get for the same moderate priced product. It's maddening actually.
That's not universally true, though it might very well be the case most places in the US.

It's also fair to take inflation into account, something many tend not to give it's rightful place.

I really do disagree with the statement that things are worse now though, it might require a more informed buyer to find what's good sometimes (in the medium cost level) but it's by no means impossible.

Clothes for instance, I can go to the store and buy a t-shirt for $45, which is a relatively common price here (Norway), in my experience, those t-shirts are rarely good quality and will often twist, amongst other things. Or I could do the informed thing, and go online and buy very high quality shirts for $5-20 instead, some of which I've had for 6-7 years now with minor signs of use.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
That's not universally true, though it might very well be the case most places in the US.

It's also fair to take inflation into account, something many tend not to give it's rightful place.

I really do disagree with the statement that things are worse now though, it might require a more informed buyer to find what's good sometimes (in the medium cost level) but it's by no means impossible.

Clothes for instance, I can go to the store and buy a t-shirt for $45, which is a relatively common price here (Norway), in my experience, those t-shirts are rarely good quality and will often twist, amongst other things. Or I could do the informed thing, and go online and buy very high quality shirts for $5-20 instead, some of which I've had for 6-7 years now with minor signs of use.
Hey there Viking85 from Norway! Yeah, I get there are some potential bargains on the internet. I am mainly referencing the US goods and I want to put my hands on the merchandise I buy before I buy, so not that buying on the internet is a bad thing, it just is not what I meant when I posted the thread. Welcome your comments though. Maybe I will be forced to do more shopping on the internet so I can better afford the higher quality goods and risk the likes and dislikes of what I receive. Thanks for your post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates