Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 06:19 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times

Advertisements

Right, that's pretty much all what I was getting at. And how typically short-sighted in this high-tech society. It's all this ridiculous black and white, bits and bytes, if you "learn" this set of facts then we consider you "educated" enough to move on etc etc. You don't have to be a teacher to see how glaringly stupid that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 07:47 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
What are your thoughts about No Child Left Behind? Do you think it's a good policy and worth continuing? Is it improving the education system in this country? What about teachers and principals - does NCLB encourage accountability or hinder teachers?

Thoughts.
Well I am a literal student that has been experiencing the No Child Left Behind law since I was a kid and I think it's total BS. It hasn't helped or improve the school system at all. Every year things get harder and worse for students. I'm lucky I only have a year left of school before I graduate. I feel for all the elementary, middle, & HS students of the future. They will have it much harder.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:49 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times
Given so much anti-NCLB sentiment, why do you think it hasn't been repealed? Do you think it ever will be?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:33 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
I say if the kid is too stupid or too lazy then leave him behind. Parents need to take responsibility as well. Enough with relying on the state/gov. Rely on yourself.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:59 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
It doesn't need that. States just need to decide not to participate. They just lose Federal funds.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:07 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
We learned in math class about the lowest common denominator was when we studied fractions, as least if you went to school prior to the great dumb down of no child left behind and standardized testing.

The process is the same, find the lowest common denominator in a class, and teach to that level, and no child will be left behind. However, the whole dang country will be left behind in the future as our eduction system is cheating our children, and our country of their futures.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:24 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
If you promote a kid just for the sake of promoting him, what have you accomplished (other than satisfying some paper-pushing, politically correct bureaucrat in an office somewhere)? He was a poor student in the fifth grade, so what makes anyone think he's going to be better in the sixth?

Old 06-05-2010, 07:23 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,883 times
Why isn't our primary education taught the same way our secondary education (college) is taught?

Here is the work, do it...or DON'T! Now, that being said...college offers tutoring services, free. Therefore, if the primary schools did the same, kids who really "wanted" the help could seek it. There would be a learn, or don't learn system. Perhaps have two sets of schools. In order to be in the A school you must "make the grade". Those who don't are in the B school. There is no differentiation of economic class. You are admitted to the A schools if you make the grade, pure and simple. The A school does NOT have to participate in these exams and they are taught with exciting thought provoking and engaging materials. As for the B school, the help is there to make the grade...you have to want it and go get it. Maybe give the B school kids some incentive... A schools are a regular school year. B schools are Year Round schools. More hours, more days, etc. Make the A school a reason to work hard, something to strive for. Oh, and ... tie behavior to that stipulation. Should you misbehave in class (i.e. get into fights at school, bully or the disrespect some students are giving teachers today) you are back to B school.

Maybe start with Kindergarten, everyone is on same plane. First grade...that is the year that will begin to form the division. Then, perhaps at the middle school level, that would be the split...A or B. Okay, maybe my plan isn't the BEST, but...perhaps a variation of something like this could be developed which would get the educational process back on track. So that kids who WANT to learn can ge into schools who give them the ability to use the critical thinking and forget the stupidity of the schools only teaching to the tests.

Somebody needs to do Something!

Old 06-05-2010, 08:35 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Primary education is taught in the same manner. They are trying or were trying to start that testing by first grade, however, they have it at third grade. By fourth grade, the kids are doing Supreme Court cases. In the public school that my son attends there is only a 15 minute recess and there is no talking in the lunchroom.

One of the things that a specific local group of teachers are saying is that they can make sure that there are pencils, and try to keep it quiet in the classrooms and the room is well lit. Their argument is why are the parents not helping the kids. Well, take a real good look around. Parents can stand vigilant behind a kid seated at the dining room table but the material is often more advanced and the parent doesn't know it. Fat lot of good it does.

We have to, get back to a time period where teachers are allowed to teach and kids are allowed to learn. If you take the first hour in junior high and high school, you will see that 10-12 minutes are school announcements, the pledge, roll, the passing in and passing out of papers, you are looking at about 35 minutes of teaching time-barring any latecomers, problems, alarms or blah, blah, blah.

For years and years the focus has been on how it is the teachers fault, no it is the parents fault, no it is the kids fault. It is the system, that needs to be revised. The finger pointing needs to be turned around.

One of the most important elements that is left out is the school board. I think that people off the street who are elected to the school board do the most damage. These turkeys come in and cut teachers by the third year and then make some idiotic public announcement that the teachers didn't make the grade. In reality, they were not going to allow them to become tenured. Because that is what these clowns bank on to get elected.

Another factor, the schools will actively work against kids that should be tested for special education services or that may have a learning disability. Why?

Textbooks. Why purchase textbooks that utilize manipulatives and then not buy the manipulatives?

If you have GLB&T students that thrive better in schools that are created specifically for them, then what the heck is the hold up?

Old 06-05-2010, 06:59 PM

410 posts, read 1,107,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
One of the most important elements that is left out is the school board. I think that people off the street who are elected to the school board do the most damage.
The board is often overlooked in this mess. Check the credentials of the local crew running your schools. It has always amazed me that people without college educations and even, in some cases, high-school dropouts, are allowed to serve on local school boards. School boards should be made up of certified teachers, an education expert or two (perhaps college-level, also certified), and genuine parent reps (meaning people w/ kids actually IN the schools, not some old grandmas and grandpas whose kids graduated 30 years ago.)

Some people just aren't qualified. No shame in that, that's just the way it is. I wouldn't put a person who had never driven before in a car by themselves out on a busy highway.

Same w/ the NCLB fiasco. It has totally been the nail in the coffin for our education system. It doesn't take an idiot to figure out that all children will not succeed academically. That doesn't mean they should be shoved to the side and forgotten, their educational needs should definitely be met and they should be prepared for life, but, really, we are not all going to become doctors and engineers. We need people to dig ditches and make beds and wash dishes. Sorry if that offends but it is the truth. And it doesn't take an engineer to figure out that the test scores of a child who doesn't even understand the concept of what is being tested, one who makes marks all over the paper, or one who doesn't speak English, should be included w/ the rest.

Two things would change all this in a New York minute--
1. Require all principals and administrators to spend every third year or so IN A CLASSROOM. School board members should also have to be present in the actual school buildings and classrooms for some amount of time.
2. Require at least one parent of all students to spend even just an hour a week in the classroom.

But these things will never happen, they make too much sense.

Sorry, but NCLB gets me riled, I'm working in an institution that for the last 10 years has been taking its dying breaths.

Last edited by soonerguy; 06-05-2010 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates