Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 03:37 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,028,157 times

Advertisements

As the whole "green" thing has become commercialized (I have already stated my position which is that less consumption is the greenest thing to do) I have seen more and more silly products come to the fore.

One which particularly stood out was a plastic frame on which to put ziploc bags into the dishwasher. It never seemed to click that dishwashers themselves are a massive waste of water and energy. Or that the energy and resources that went into manufacturing, packaging and shipping the frame were wasted too.

What other commercialized and absolutely redundant "green" items have people seen out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 10:25 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,004,056 times
AnthonyB wrote:
less consumption is the greenest thing to do
I agree with this statement 100%!

I see so many people jumping on the green bandwagon who go out and buy all of the latest green gadgets even though their current gadets are working just fine. Though many of these new green gadgets are truly greener than their older counterparts, alot of the hullabaloo is just a marketing ploy to separate the gullible from their hard earned dollars. IMO those who most exemplify a green consciousness are those who find ways to CUT consumption rather than buying more gadgets, green or not..

Old 04-28-2008, 10:31 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,067,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
I have already stated my position which is that less consumption is the greenest thing to do)...

What other commercialized and absolutely redundant "green" items have people seen out there?
Here here! But you're not going to see any commercials telling you to buy less crap.

The worst violator I've seen is a little battery-powered temperature sensor that screams at you when the fridge gets too warm. Oil for the plastics, gold/silver/copper for the electronics, then the ecological nightmare of the batteries...

Just shut the darn door fast, idiots! Unplug the little lightbulb too.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:50 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Sometimes you need to stop and think. Smart manufacturers are getting top dollar for "green merchandise". Why? Because people need to feel good about doing something to save the planet and will spend money on "green merchandise" to feel good.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:15 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I find that my reasonably new dishwasher uses less water than I would at the sink. It also does a better job and helps heat the place in the winter. In the summer I let it air dry the dishes.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:52 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,432,819 times
Dishwashers use much LESS energy than washing dishes by hand. A regular size dishwasher uses about 15 gallons per cycle...it would take much more than that to wash all of those dishes by hand. We have a condo size dishawasher and it uses 6 gallons on the normal cycle. Overall, dishwashers are not a massive waster of energy, but are quite efficient.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:07 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,004,056 times
You might be right about the H2O use of dishwashers in general, but any dishwashing machine would be hard pressed to use less H2O than I use washing them by hand. I am a water miser. Additionally, my sweat equity puts no extra strain on the power grid or on my wallet.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:05 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Dishwashers use much LESS energy than washing dishes by hand. A regular size dishwasher uses about 15 gallons per cycle...it would take much more than that to wash all of those dishes by hand.
Ok. How can a dishwasher use less energy. Do you mean human energy, because I dont have to plug into an electric socked to do the dishes. I also dont see how you can use 15 gallons of water to wash the supper dishes.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:45 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,432,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Ok. How can a dishwasher use less energy. Do you mean human energy, because I dont have to plug into an electric socked to do the dishes. I also dont see how you can use 15 gallons of water to wash the supper dishes.
Think about how much a full size dishwasher holds...it's more then one supper setting for most. For an average size family, it probably holds 3-4 supper settings. To wash one supper setting for a family of four would probably use 5 gallons. Multiply that by 3 as a conservative estimate, and you're already at 15 gallons. it also takes energy to heat the water you are using to wash the dishes (gas or electric) whereas a dishwasher's water is heating internally and much more efficently than water from a water heater. To give an example, my next door neighbor and I have the exact same size and style townhouse. Same water rates, etc. We wash as much as possible in the dishwasher. We run it about every 3 days (again ours is a condo size smaller machine as hers is). There are two people in our house, but she is the only one in hers, yet her water bill is about 10 dollars more and about 2000 gallons more per month. Neither of us have watered our lawn in a year because we can't and we can't wash our cars, and we both only flush toilets when necessary. She doesn't seem to have any leaks either.

Here is some evidence:

Dishwashers and Environment: Are Dishwashers Good for the Environment?

"Dishwashers More Efficient Than Hand Washing
Scientists at the University of Bonn [pdf] in Germany who studied the issue found that the dishwasher uses only half the energy, one-sixth of the water, and less soap than hand-washing an identical set of dirty dishes.

Even the most sparing and careful washers could not beat the modern dishwasher. The study also found that dishwashers excelled in cleanliness over hand washing.

."

If your dishwasher was made after 1994 it uses at most 10 gallons per cycle.

Once again, machines are more efficient than humans.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:12 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,375,333 times
Some dishwashers, like Bosch, don't even have heating elements - they let the residual heat from the wash cycle dry the dishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living