Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:36 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,784,900 times

Advertisements

I've never seen the big controversy. Man has used wind power since the beginnings of civilization.

There is a fairly new array of wind turbines in the mouth of a local canyon. They are huge! I find them very intriguing--engineering marvels for sure. Plus, they are just cool looking. I'd rather see that than a bunch of big smokstacks--nothing much interesting about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 05:24 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,517,543 times
There are a lot of hurdles with wind power right now. My farm has had a wind study done, and it can support (3) 1.5 megawatt wind turbines so I know a bit about this stuff. In addition my uncle has a small residential 5.5 kw windmill at his place and here is the deal with all that.

First, the wind study is replete with bureaucracy. The application is over 400 pages long, requires 3 estimates from wind turbine companies and has a very short time line when that can be done. I am one of few farms that actually went through the entire process, but it was intimidating and daunting...only to have the town say no windmills can be put up. Why, because people here "do not want to look up and see windmills on "their" hills even though my family has paid taxes on these hills for the last 252 years!

As for the residential windmills...its not a viable option. There are no rooftop mounts that I know of, because the vibration from the turbine would rattle a roof apart. My uncles has a pole located just away from the house. It also has a really high pitched whistle to it in gusts of wind. That is annoying! But the worst part is the cost. It cost him 17K and it reduces his 100 buck electric bill by 45%. Now do the math on that, the return on investment is over 17 years away and that is assuming it runs without an issue for 17 years consecutively...a stretch at best.

There is a silver lining. Because of the way the dual meter on his house works, when he is making power, it subtracts the wattage used per month. There is no cash that changes hands...or ever would be. Even if he used no power, and his windmill powered the grid...he would just continue to pile on credits. But since this never occurs, he is actually selling his power back to the power company for retail prices...not wholesale prices! That's a good deal...but still cannot overcome the 17 pay back period.

So as you can see, windmills have a lot of issues to overcome.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:30 PM

The thing is, other countries have a far better alternative. The technology is proven, the waste is 90% less then it was 30 years ago, and while no plants have been made lately, technology in this country has moved forward...

That technology is nuclear power.

Power plants today would produce less then 10% of what the currently operated plants produce in nuclear waste, and even for environmentalists, the worst nuclear catastrophe in history (Chernobyl) was not as bad as anyone thought. In 20 years things have improved immensely because nature has recovered.

In my opinion, building a few more of these plants makes much more sense then anything else. You could simply build some on the sites of old powerplants that were decomissioned like Yankee Rowe and Maine Yankee. I know the towns there would love the rebirth!

This just makes sense, but windpower is more popular and "green", but its got too many kinks. Nclear power is the way to go.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:53 AM

141 posts, read 287,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
U.S. wind power installation slows.
U.S. wind power installation slows | Reuters

They can blame the economy all they want.. It doesn't pay, bottom line. Note how
"The wind industry hopes the U.S. Senate will pass strong mandates for utilities to generate a certain amount of their power from renewable sources like wind and solar power in the climate bill."
When you have to hold a gun to people heads to buy a product something is wrong with said product...

That said, the more they put up the more money/job security I get so bring it on!!!!
well thats not necessarily true, we consume vast amounts of macdonalds and that stuff will kill you.
now it can be said McD does what its supposed to, but its a flawed unhealthy product. wind is a valid thing, its just so alien it will take time to be accepted

Old 08-23-2009, 07:17 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syngar99 View Post
well thats not necessarily true, we consume vast amounts of macdonalds and that stuff will kill you.
now it can be said McD does what its supposed to, but its a flawed unhealthy product. wind is a valid thing, its just so alien it will take time to be accepted
Apples to Oranges.. NO one FORCES you to eat McDonalds (although the fries are a bit addicting) I don't think wind is bad for you from a health standpoint it is merly still cost prohibitive. It will not pay for itself without the goverment forceing people to install the technology regardless of the cost......

Old 08-25-2009, 09:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
All of our energy supply systems benefit in one way or another from government services like subsidized fuel transportation or just being a regulated monopoly to encourage investment.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:31 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
All of our energy supply systems benefit in one way or another from government services like subsidized fuel transportation or just being a regulated monopoly to encourage investment.
Right.

We also need to keep in mind that government subsidizing is usually necessary to get a monumental undertaking started.

Take Rural Electrification Act of 1936, for example. No one single company would have been big enough, or wealthy enough, to pull that off.

I think that the development of wind generated electricity is a bit like that. It's too big an undertaking to run without subsidies.

The tricky part is how long to continue subsidizing something like this.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
IMHO - Because electrical utilities are a "natural monopoly" to avoid duplicating the transmission and distribution lines I think they should all be owned by some level of government. For instance the base load plants could be federally owned along with the high voltage transmission lines. States could own the rural distribution systems and local municipalities the in town systems. Individuals would be allowed to generate their own power and feed any excess into this grid. The development of huge government authorities such as the TVA, Power Authority of NY and Bonneville Power Authority provided the electricity for the Rural Electrification Agency which, by building the uneconomical from a business standpoint, distribution lines, did much to eliminate rural poverty in our country.

I say this because privately owned utilities are primarily used as “safe” investments and tie up vast amounts of private capital that should be running around the private capital markets funding breakthrough industries with very high growth potential. I fundamentally believe there should not be any way to shield capital from risk except a minimal amount of government bonding for long term capital projects such as power plants, transport systems and basic research.

We should be building wind farms but not be doing it with private investment but as part of a government owned energy agency.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:19 AM

I disagree. I have never seen the government do anything they did not royally screw up. When you get politics involved, common sense heads out the window. The subsidy idea does fair better because it is a way of applying public funding and control, without total dominance.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:44 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,005 times
Default Not only an EyeSore but a Complete disregard for Mother Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Are most people bothered by the look of these things? I find them interesting.

Here is an aerial photo of one South of Dumas Texas, photo is looking south. zoom into the top of the photo.

http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/25141194.jpg

I think we will be seeing lots more of these and its probably for the better.

This wind resource map shows areas with good winds.

Wind Powering America: State and United States Wind Resource Maps

Other than Nuking thousands of acres of land Wind farms are a Total and Complete Environmental Disaster whether they are sea wind farms or land based wind farms they are totally inefficient, not cost effective and destroy habitats and implode the land they consume.

Now if you would say why not put one up on your chimney or your garage to augment your current e source that makes sense!

Another practical way to appease the air heads maybe would be to place wind turbines on electrical tower easements throughout the country. Here we already have the easement and this way we would not be messing up any more land and the environment with this crazy eco madness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living