Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 01:37 AM

34 posts, read 87,969 times

Advertisements

I am searching for an attorney who either be willing to work pro bono or at a reduced cost to assist me with my child custody (which I am seeking sole custody) and Divorce. I am also fighting a Social Security Disability claim and have a lawyer working on that for me; hence I have minimal funds to work with while drawing my unemployment.
I do not qualify for legal aid as there is no 50 B involved but the woman my ex lives with has several CPS cases in the past and currently involved in an ongoing investigation now. I have witnessed her verbally abusing my daughter had her backed in a corner screaming at her and had my little one in tears! If it were not for my older son and fiance catching me in mid flight I would have made her have serious regrets when ever she looked in a mirror!

I have never had a criminal case or CPS involved in my life EVER!

If someone would point me in the right direction I would appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 02:18 PM

583 posts, read 2,803,031 times
if there's abuse, you need to report that and then deal with the custody issues

Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 PM

20 posts, read 147,482 times
When you contacted Legal Aid, did they give you the name and phone number of any local divorce attorneys offer reduced fees? If so, contacting that person is probably your best option. If not, and if you do not have any money to hire an attorney, then (i) ask Legal Aid if they have any pro se materials you can have to learn how to represent yourself or (ii) go to the Guilford County courthouse and ask a clerk in the Office of the Clerk of Court if there are any pro se materials that you can have to learn how to represent yourself.

Many attorneys (I'm one) offer very low fees (a flat fee less than $500) for uncontested divorce and child custody cases. However, it sounds like you are heading down a hotly contested divorce and child custody case, and that type of a case takes an immense amount of time for all involved (parents, attorneys, court personnel, etc.). Because of the time commitment, it will be very difficult to find an attorney that has the time to offer for free (perhaps you can find a retired attorney that wants to donate his or her services).

Most divorce attorneys charge hourly on your type of disputed case, and the amount of hours an attorney will spend is directly related to whether you and your former spouse can come to an agreement or whether every issue will have to be litigated. If you are on a fixed budget, perhaps try negotiating a flat fee with an attorney. This will give you certainty on your legal fee, and also ensure that your attorney won't drop your case if you run out of money for his or her legal fees in the middle of your case.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:35 AM

Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by erineieio View Post
if there's abuse, you need to report that and then deal with the custody issues

No physical abuse but emotional no doubt! CPS only sees it as a problem if there are visible marks. To bad emotional ones can not bee seen. Thanks for the advise

Old 01-09-2011, 06:47 AM

Default Great reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkreger View Post
When you contacted Legal Aid, did they give you the name and phone number of any local divorce attorneys offer reduced fees? If so, contacting that person is probably your best option. If not, and if you do not have any money to hire an attorney, then (i) ask Legal Aid if they have any pro se materials you can have to learn how to represent yourself or (ii) go to the Guilford County courthouse and ask a clerk in the Office of the Clerk of Court if there are any pro se materials that you can have to learn how to represent yourself.

Many attorneys (I'm one) offer very low fees (a flat fee less than $500) for uncontested divorce and child custody cases. However, it sounds like you are heading down a hotly contested divorce and child custody case, and that type of a case takes an immense amount of time for all involved (parents, attorneys, court personnel, etc.). Because of the time commitment, it will be very difficult to find an attorney that has the time to offer for free (perhaps you can find a retired attorney that wants to donate his or her services).

Most divorce attorneys charge hourly on your type of disputed case, and the amount of hours an attorney will spend is directly related to whether you and your former spouse can come to an agreement or whether every issue will have to be litigated. If you are on a fixed budget, perhaps try negotiating a flat fee with an attorney. This will give you certainty on your legal fee, and also ensure that your attorney won't drop your case if you run out of money for his or her legal fees in the middle of your case.
I went through the divorce clinic and have no problem filing pro se in the custody or the divorce. I am willing to do the foot work if an attorney has my back" so to speak. I have both packets to do the filing and can have the filing and service fees waived. But when and if he does contest I will need someone to help me through the steps. Perhaps you would be willing to help in that sort of arrangement. Where I do the footwork and you guide me perhaps?

Thank you so very much for the reply; however I KNOW I will need an attorney. I am just hoping by the grace of the God's There is someone out there who can represent me pro bono or at a very reduced cost. payment plan etc. I just don’t know where to find one; in this case as it is a very tricky. Even though I am confident I can file the process on my own, for sure there will be areas where an atty knows best.
The bottom line, I am fighting disability,(which I have an attorney for all ready) living on unemployment that wont last forever, my ex lives with a woman who has a repeated history with CPS and doesn't’t have custody of her own children, and my ex has zero parenting skills. There are several CPS cases in SC in her past and an ongoing one here in Guilford. I want sole custody and as my daughter has been in therapy for 3 yrs on a weekly basis and her professional councilor will be summoned along with other professionals.
Like most parents I want the best for my daughter, but getting that through the legal system is an unrealistic process for most.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:34 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:

Dang!!!! Where is Bob Cahoon when ya need him?? (I really do know the answer, being retorical)

Old 01-09-2011, 07:22 PM

20 posts, read 147,482 times
Shea - It seems like you've done a lot of work on your case, and you are educating yourself on divorce and child custody law and procedure, so perhaps you'll find that you can handle this on your own. However, if you get to a point where you'd like to talk to an attorney, feel free to message me regarding me "coaching" you through the child custody process.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Shea - It seems like you've done a lot of work on your case, and you are educating yourself on divorce and child custody law and procedure, so perhaps you'll find that you can handle this on your own. However, if you get to a point where you'd like to talk to an attorney, feel free to message me regarding me "coaching" you through the child custody process.

I without a doubt will be in touch
You give us little ppl hope! Thank you so much!:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point