Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 09:48 AM

686 posts, read 1,767,208 times

Advertisements

Here is some information from my research into vehicle inspection in NC and NH. I think this information throws light on a few points made in earlier posts in this thread.

First, I fully agree with earlier posts that when buying used vehicles, it is not prudent to depend just on the vehicle passing a state-mandated vehicle inspection. An inspection by an independent mechanic is recommended, and might even suffice in some cases.

When a vehicle is bought in one state for use in another state, completing an inspection defined by the first state can be helpful when the inspection-process is compatible with (super set of, if you are a stickler) the process in the second state. The thought is that passing an inspection in the first state can give the out-of-state buyer an idea of whether the vehicle might pass inspection in his/her state.

That said, here is a summary of what I found out about NC and NH inspections:

North Carolina: Administrative Code 19A 03D Section .0500 documents the Vehicle Inspection Guidance http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/CR...nforcement.pdf. The code addresses the following ten areas (the numbers in brackets denote the relevant paragraph in the code):

1. Brakes [.0532]
2. Lights [.0533]
3. Horn [.0534]
4. Steering mechanism [.0535]
5. Windshield wiper [.0536]
6. Directional signals [.0537]
7. Tires [.0538, .0539]
8. Rear view mirrors [.0540]
9. Exhaust emission controls [.0541, .0542, .0543]
10. Window tinting [.0551]

The NC code does not cover body, chassis, fuel system, instruments (odometer, speedometer), on-board diagnostics, and defrost. Unsurprisingly it also does not cover rust.

The NC code explicitly defines emission standards (Carbon Monoxide and Hydrocarbon content in emission) without reference to EPA standards.

New Hampshire: Administrative Rule Saf-C 3200 relates to vehicle safety-and-emission inspection Saf-C 3200. Saf-C 3203.01 lists 13 "primary areas" of inspection. Not enumerated in the rule (for some strange reason), but emission requirements are covered in Saf-C 3220.

1. Registration, plates, registration certificate and vehicle identification number [3210]
2. Steering, front end and suspension [3211.07]
3. Brakes, including parking brake [3212]
4. Odometer and speedometer [3213]
5. Electrical system, horn and defroster [3214]
6. Lights and reflectors, including headlight aim [3215, 3216]
7. Glass, glazing and mirrors [3217]
8. Wipers [3217.2]
9. Exhaust system [3218]
10. On-board diagnostics system [3222]
11. Body, chassis and bumper height [3221]
12. Fuel system [3219]
13. Tires and wheels [3211]

The NH rule references EPA standards related to OBD equipment, but it is silent on EPA emission standards. My three calls to NH DMV on this topic yielded no useful information, except that the person who might know about EPA emission standards is on leave. (Maybe this is how they got me off their back ) So, until I learn otherwise, I assume NH's emission standards are comparable to NC's (and probably not as demanding as CA's).

BTW, NH does not require emission test for cars with model year prior to 1996.

Opinion: For being the "Live Free or Die" state, the NH inspection process is quite extensive; definitely more involved than the NC process. (In case you are not familiar, NH does not require seat belts for people over 17; needs no proof of insurance in most cases; and motor-cycle riders don't need to wear helmets. You know, Live Free or Die. )

On surface, the NC inspection requirements appear to be a sub-set of NH's requirements. In areas where NC and NH requirements overlap, it appears that a vehicle passing NC inspection in those areas is likely to also pass NH inspection in those areas. For example, NC requires at least 1/3rd travel left when brakes are fully applied; NH requires at least 1/5th. Thus, meeting NC needs for brake-pedal travel also meets NH's needs for brake-pedal travel. I assume the same applies to emission standards.

Because NC requirements are not as extensive as NH's, passing an NC inspection does not provide much confidence about passing NH inspection (but it does help you spend some hard-earned money).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 11:08 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUR View Post
Assuming buying a car in NC for (transport to and then register and) use in NH makes sense...
It doesn't make any sense.
Wherever you buy a car... NC or ND or NV... when you get it to NH you'll still have to pay all the
NH fees and do all the NH certifications and such just the same as if you found the car there.
Plus all your expenses while shopping and the transportation fees to get it there.

So unless you have an Aunt Bee in Mayberry giving the car away... forget it.

hth

Old 08-30-2012, 11:39 AM

97 posts, read 315,434 times
Hi SMUR, that document contains some outdated information. NC requires a private vehicle pass a visual safety inspection, the emissions inspection (requirements differ in some counties) and the OBD inspection. If the check engine light is on the vehicle will not pass inspection. If the battery cable has been disconnected to temporarily turn the light off, the vehicle still will not pass the OBD test. The form you found refers to inspection stickers which NC hasn't used in years. It's pretty confusing if you're out-of-state trying to get current information on NC inspection requirements. Unless you've just given up the idea altogether, you could Google NC inspection stations in the county you're wanting to buy the vehicle in and call one or two to get some feedback.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:41 PM

248 posts, read 754,248 times
You are correct the cars in the Piedmont of our state don't rust The mountains and the coast are another story and plenty of out of state cars so you have to carfax it to verify where it is from. It usually takes 2-3 weeks to find a good used car aorund here that is local rust free and in good running condition from the 95-2000 era but they are around but you have to look for them

Old 09-19-2012, 09:07 AM

686 posts, read 1,767,208 times
Update: My wife and I did some initial car shopping in NH to get an idea of how buying a used car from a private party might work. (The NH experience wouldn't transfer fully to NC, but many core parts do: dealers posing as private parties; unregistered cars; and so on.) We concluded that we might get a rust-free car in NC for use in NH, but the process will likely take at least 2-3 weeks (the same observation andyselec has made). With no one doing the leg work for us in NC, we simply could not afford to spend that much time in NC.

So, we decided to look for cars in Southern NH. After a month's search, we are now the proud owners of a 2001 Honda CRV with 147K miles on it. It has no rust on the body and it drives quite well. We hope the car will help us get around and continue scouting Southern NH towns for a house we can call home. We hope the car doesn't cost us too much to maintain in the meanwhile.

A big thank you to all who provided inputs in this process.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,469 times
I am selling my car registered in NC to someone in PA. How can this car be tagged temporally for the trip North without the hassle of going through all the paperwork at NC DMV?

Old 02-03-2015, 01:30 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally H. View Post
I am selling my car registered in NC to someone in PA.

How can this car be tagged temporally for the trip North
without the hassle of going through all the paperwork at NC DMV?
It can't. Being "tagged" (even temporally) requires the DMV.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:42 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally H. View Post
I am selling my car registered in NC to someone in PA. How can this car be tagged temporally for the trip North without the hassle of going through all the paperwork at NC DMV?
Some states offer a temporary transport tag. NC doesn't, but perhaps PA does. You should have the buyer contact the PA DMV to see how to handle this, as it's really the buyer's problem to figure out.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,192 times
Ok i have a question, what if you brought a car from NC, with the signature of the seller, and a bill of sell, but on the title it was never notarized...so now your car is back in your state (VA). Will I have a issue at DMV here in Virginia getting it registered?

Old 08-30-2015, 03:50 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaa050 View Post
Ok i have a question, what if you brought a car from NC, with the signature of the seller, and a bill of sell, but on the title it was never notarized...so now your car is back in your state (VA). Will I have a issue at DMV here in Virginia getting it registered?
Call the VA DMV and ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point