Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 04:34 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,960,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Well, the source of the article isn't exactly unbiased. Carroll himself owns it. I wouldn't expect an impartial answer from the Rhino Times.
but then again, pretty much all of the city council said they want to move forward with the carroll plan.

Where as the mayor, who didn't run any cancelations by the city council decided to call him up and just say it was over.

Which had the city(and myself) thinking it was a motion and agreement by the city to go with "plan B"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 04:55 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,226,364 times
Agreed it looks like the call to end negotiations was premature. I think it's a good sign the majority of city council wants to continue building the deck with Roy Carroll so folks it may not be over. Stay tuned....

But I am thoroughly disgusted with the way the city has handled both decks. Incompatence, no transparency, being careless with the taxpayers money and a staff making big decisions like this without city council voting on it. Im pretty shocked because I was under the assumption that city council supported plan B. Thank God they don't.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-03-2018 at 05:17 PM..

Old 05-03-2018, 05:21 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,055,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
but then again, pretty much all of the city council said they want to move forward with the carroll plan.

Where as the mayor, who didn't run any cancelations by the city council decided to call him up and just say it was over.

Which had the city(and myself) thinking it was a motion and agreement by the city to go with "plan B"
Not disputing that, just considering the source of the article. It happens all the time where one side of a story comes out and the reaction is "wow... So and so was soooo wronged and there's no defense for what happened to them"....... Then the other side comes out and everything makes sense.

At the least, it does appear there are some communication issues within the city.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:25 PM

Yes its not just bias reporting. The majority of city council did not support ending negotiations with Carroll and are making efforts to reinstate negotiations. They support his project. So this ends speculation on the forums that the city backed out because they questioned the feasibility of his project.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-03-2018 at 05:43 PM..

Old 05-03-2018, 06:03 PM

32 posts, read 27,811 times
I wonder if Mayor Vaughan had the support of 5 council members before she called Roy Carroll. If not, it seems like a huge mistake on her part. I hope that the council will restart the deck with Carroll, unless he is not able to meet the timeline, whatever that is. I do remember that the city had asked Roy Carroll to build the deck first in order to accommodate Project Slugger. Then he would complete his hotel and office building at a later date.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRay324 View Post
I wonder if Mayor Vaughan had the support of 5 council members before she called Roy Carroll. If not, it seems like a huge mistake on her part. I hope that the council will restart the deck with Carroll, unless he is not able to meet the timeline, whatever that is. I do remember that the city had asked Roy Carroll to build the deck first in order to accommodate Project Slugger. Then he would complete his hotel and office building at a later date.
And thats how the city should persue this. I know someone said it had to do with the spaces set aside for Carroll's office building / hotel. If those spaces don't get used it affects the payment structure of the deck. However if he is not ready for the office component, go ahead and build the deck and hotel on top and then build the office portion on top a few years later. City staff didn't really think this through. They freaked out because they thought Project Slugger would fall through. But there are ways to build the deck for Project Slugger and then let Carroll build his tower in his own timeframe. Its great to see city council members trying to open negotiations again. In the back of my mind I kind of thought something like this might happen. This project is too big to pass up.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:53 PM

The more I look at this the more I like it.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The more I look at this the more I like it.
I have no problems with the deck, it's perfect, I would love it, if it were all all glass. But the slits near the Aloft kill it for me.

But I guess I'm kind of happy considering it's over 27 stories tall, and a highrise is still a highrise.

But a smooth all glass design with a slopped glass top would look eons better.

Edit

Old 05-04-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
I have no problems with the deck, it's perfect, I would love it, if it were all all glass. But the slits near the Aloft kill it for me.

But I guess I'm kind of happy considering it's over 27 stories tall, and a highrise is still a highrise.

But a smooth all glass design with a slopped glass top would look eons better.

Edit
I actually get the slits as to why they are there. They are architectural elements incorporated on the roofs of most Alofts. I thinks its cool and prevents it from being just a square glass box which would be boring. A sloped top would be cool but there are probably enough buildings nearby with sloped roofs. The Hyatt Place has a sloped roof at the entrance and Project Slugger has a sloped roof. The design is certainly more interesting than the Charlotte and Raleigh Alofts. At least Carroll didn't go with a suburban style Aloft. Without a doubt the removal of the spire was a big improvement. There was just too much going on. I like the fact that it is predominantly glass which is something downtown lacks in its towers. The 12 story U. S. Trust Center was all glass until it was reskinned.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-04-2018 at 07:22 AM..

Old 05-04-2018, 09:22 AM

Meanwhile, heres a construction update for downtown projects 2018.

here is the Gpac site currently.
[IMG][/IMG]
Greensboro gpac.(tanger center)

[IMG][/IMG]

And the westin mixed use site undergoing preparations.
[IMG][/IMG]

westin mixeduse building and 6 story multi use parking garage
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Carroll at Bellemeade
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

No activity for project slugger except a design change, starts construction September this year
[IMG][/IMG]

The highly controversial tower(project 561?) Finally reveals design, currently under a TBA.
[IMG][/IMG]

UNCG nursing/biotech complex, going at the corner of south elme and battleground downtown, near where "trader joes" was speculated yo be built.

Completion set for 2020.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by YinXyang; 05-04-2018 at 09:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point