Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 05:23 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
It is so interesting to me that the thing I've seen Greensboro "leaders" most passionate about in the last 30 years is a parking deck. "We will build it, we will own it, we will earn the revenue." Well, good for you!

You state that "he (Roy Carroll) will build it at the corner of Eugene St and West Friendly," while the article says nothing like that: "And it gives Carroll a high-profile piece of downtown real estate — the northwest corner of North Eugene Street and West Friendly Avenue. It’s unclear what he will do with the property."

We are hypothesizing about "upgrad(ing) to a highrise again" for projects that never even seem to get a foundation laid.

Roy Carroll better move on to a city that welcomes urban development. Time is money, and where development is concerned, Greensboro loves to waste time. Are you not tired of getting your hopes up? I guess someone has to have faith - not knocking you for doing so.
So does Roy. In that regard, they're a perfect match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 06:51 PM

475 posts, read 685,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Carroll will build something there otherwise he would not buy the property..
If I had a dollar for every time we were so certain. Real estate (land) is usually an appreciable asset. He could sit on it and eventually sell it.

These are never "done deals."

Old 07-19-2018, 07:10 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,056,292 times
Quote:
If I had a dollar for every time we were so certain. Real estate (land) is usually an appreciable asset. He could sit on it and eventually sell it.

These are never "done deals."
Exactly.... Ultimately, I'm sure Carroll has INTENT to build on the site. But as to what will be built, who knows. I think it's safe to say that it won't be of the scope of Project 561.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:50 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,226,364 times
...hello...an Aloft is slated for his development

Old 07-19-2018, 10:47 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,181 times
If Greensboro loses the Westin and the Aloft over all this...

Old 07-20-2018, 04:49 AM

What's with all the negativity? It's almost as if people want these projects to fall through. There is nothing that indicates the projects won't happen. There have been some delays and missteps on the city's part, but they are going forward. I remember reading post with people saying the performing arts center would not happen just because of the delays and now it's well under construction. These are large projects and construction on large projects typically never begin on time.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:04 AM

57 posts, read 51,367 times
On a positive note, we do have some projects in downtown Greensboro that aren’t as big as the above mentioned but still exciting:

1) the city and DGI are combing through data from public surveys on enhancing downtown streetscape The taxpayers passed a $25 million bond to enhance connectivity and refurbish downtown streets to make it more pediesteian friendly.

2) the downtown greenway continues construction with a completion likely in 2020. The final leg of the section will connect to the A and Y greenway and include a creek enhancement near Greensboro college

The great thing about these projects is an enhancement to pedestrian/biker experience, and connectivity with pockets of growth.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
What's with all the negativity? It's almost as if people want these projects to fall through. There is nothing that indicates the projects won't happen. There have been some delays and missteps on the city's part, but they are going forward. I remember reading post with people saying the performing arts center would not happen just because of the delays and now it's well under construction. These are large projects and construction on large projects typically never begin on time.
Reality does not equal negativity. I think most of us who care to visit this forum would love to see Greensboro thrive and take its righful place among mid-sized New South cities.

Similarly, "not beginning on time" and being talked about for decades before coming to fruition (if ever) are not one in the same.

To not recognize the trend is to not face the facts. In an earlier post you said, "he will build..." that is not a fact. There have been an abnormal number of delays, broken promises, political missteps, and never-to-be-built renderings where downtown Greensboro is concerned. Those... are facts.

But do indeed, keep hope alive.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Reality does not equal negativity. I think most of us who care to visit this forum would love to see Greensboro thrive and take its righful place among mid-sized New South cities.

Similarly, "not beginning on time" and being talked about for decades before coming to fruition (if ever) are not one in the same.

To not recognize the trend is to not face the facts. In an earlier post you said, "he will build..." that is not a fact. There have been an abnormal number of delays, broken promises, political missteps, and never-to-be-built renderings where downtown Greensboro is concerned. Those... are facts.

But do indeed, keep hope alive.

I was talking more about the knee jerk reaction to saying a project is going to fall through because of delays. I understand why people think that way and it's because Greensboro really hasn't had a lot of large scale downtown projects of these types so there will be more skepticism. I can certainly understand when a project is first proposed. But what doesn't make sense is to have that same skepticism once they start shoveling dirt for the project. This happened with the performing arts center. As for the deck. It's going to get built and I believe Roy Carroll will build his project. It's not going to be the 28 story tower he first proposed for the development but it's going to happen in some form or fashion. Roy Carroll is not new to downtown development. People quickly forget he turned a 16 story office tower into luxury condominiums which he could have just as easily done from scratch. Then there is Carroll at Bellemeade. So he has some credibility here with large scale downtown projects and his company is one of the largest development companies in the southeast.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-20-2018 at 10:36 AM..

Old 07-20-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Roy Carroll is not new to downtown development. People quickly forget he turned a 16 story office tower into luxury condominiums which he could have just as easily done from scratch. Then there is Carroll at Bellemeade. So he has some credibility here with large scale downtown projects and his company is one of the largest development companies in the southeast.
I can agree with you that downtown seems better off having Roy Carroll, than not having Roy Carroll. Without him, downtown building development would literally be stuck in 1989.

Before him (and when I was in high school and college there), the city leaned heavily on Joseph Koury for the same type of development leadership. If I remember correctly, he was once considering a convention center downtown in addition to Four Seasons. He had that pro-business, "why not us" attitude.

The flip side of that is that one person/developer holds most of the cards. That shouldn't be the case in a city Greensboro's size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point