Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2019, 07:18 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times

Advertisements

Roy Carroll sent out a tweet saying he will make an announcement and reveal "Carroll at Bellemeade South" within 30 days which will wrap around the future city parking deck south of the ballpark. Hopefully we'll see some sort of tower even if its 12 to 15 stories. I'll be happy. Fox 8 said there will be 3 or 4 mix uses in the project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 07:37 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,377,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Roy Carroll sent out a tweet saying he will make an announcement and reveal "Carroll at Bellemeade South" within 30 days which will wrap around the future city parking deck south of the ballpark. Hopefully we'll see some sort of tower even if its 12 to 15 stories. I'll be happy. Fox 8 said there will be 3 or 4 mix uses in the project.
I wonder which will happen first...you start collecting social security or Roy completes "Carroll at Bellemeade South"?

Old 03-08-2019, 09:19 PM

Carroll said 3 to 4 uses. Its expected it will include residential, office/retail and another hotel. I wonder if he'll include a convention center? There is enough land. The development site stretches a block down to Friendly Ave. Carroll tweeted a message about two months ago saying "I'm thinking about building a convention center downtown". Collectively there would be quite a bit of ballpark development. Four apartment complexes, two hotels, retail, a parking deck, two office projects (Project Slugger and Carroll at Bellemeade South) and maybe a convention center. It would be the only place he could build it. He only owns one other site downtown and that's the lot next to Center Pointe which Carroll plans a future tower there (probably for Project 561 when its back on the table) If he builds a convention center, it would be feasible to build a slightly larger hotel maybe around 200 rooms or more. In addition, a convention center on site would also mean we would see a taller residential/hotel project because it would take up quite a bit of land. Guess we will find out within 30 days.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 03-08-2019 at 09:46 PM..

Old 03-09-2019, 03:47 AM

32 posts, read 27,793 times
If Roy builds a convention center at Carroll Bellemeade South, what does that do to the News/Record site next to the Westin? I thought the speculation was that the News/Record site was best suited for a convention center because of the size of the lot, proximity to the Westin, train/transportation center, etc. Maybe Bellemeade South is a better site because it will have more hotel rooms close by(new hotel, Hyatt Place, and the downtown Marriott)? I hope that Roy, the Westin developers, and city are working together to come up with the best location.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRay324 View Post
If Roy builds a convention center at Carroll Bellemeade South, what does that do to the News/Record site next to the Westin? I thought the speculation was that the News/Record site was best suited for a convention center because of the size of the lot, proximity to the Westin, train/transportation center, etc. Maybe Bellemeade South is a better site because it will have more hotel rooms close by(new hotel, Hyatt Place, and the downtown Marriott)? I hope that Roy, the Westin developers, and city are working together to come up with the best location.
Interesting question. If Carroll builds a convention center at Carroll at Bellemeade South, then there would be no convention center at the News and Record site. That means the developer who is purchasing the site could get more creative on the News and Record property. Most of the hotels would be on the north side of downtown so there is a logic putting it on Carroll's property. DGI in partnership with the city could provide shuttles or trolleys to get people from nearby hotels to the convention center.

Hopefully this mixed use project will be interesting architecturally. Id like to see something modern, sleek and cosmopolitan even more so than Carroll at Bellemeade. Enough of the retro/semi retro bland architecture. The area around the ballpark, particularly along Eugene Street won't be recognizable in the upcoming years. There is also another development opportunity on the southeast corner of Bellemeade and Eugene St across from Hyatt Place which is currently a parking lot. I think its owned by a law firm.

As far as the News and Record site, obviously we'd see residential, some office and retail and possibly another hotel there. But there needs to be an anchor project that would attract jobs to the central business district. I'd also like to see a public plaza there with staging areas for events like the North Carolina Folk Festival. City leaders need to keep that in mind because as more parking lots get developed, they'll need staging areas. Currently most of the staging areas for the Folk Festival are set up in parking lots. The market will drive what gets built on the News and Record site but city leaders also mentioned an office tower is possible. There needs to be some attractions to help activate that stretch of Davie Street day and night.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 03-09-2019 at 07:06 AM..

Old 03-09-2019, 06:14 AM

32 posts, read 27,793 times
The big question will be “if” Roy builds a convention center at Bellemeade South. If he does, in addition to nearby hotels, there will also be many attractions- baseball park, Tanger Center, Center City park, Lebauer park, GSO historical museum, Cultural Center, Etc. Looks like we will find out in 30 days.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRay324 View Post
The big question will be “if” Roy builds a convention center at Bellemeade South. If he does, in addition to nearby hotels, there will also be many attractions- baseball park, Tanger Center, Center City park, Lebauer park, GSO historical museum, Cultural Center, Etc. Looks like we will find out in 30 days.
I agree. Very exciting things happening downtown. The Tanger Center is in part responsible for the latest surge of new development involving hotels. Anchor projects do attract development as we clearly see happening around the ballpark. We have a baseball stadium and soon a performing arts center. Now a convention center is possibly on the table which will also attract future development. We may end up with a better development then the first one Carroll proposed with the tower on top of the parking deck. Carroll has more land to play with to add other uses like a convention center. It will be interesting to see if the hotel involved will still be an Aloft.

20 years ago it made no sense to build a convention center downtown. But with the new array of hotels, restaurants, the performing arts center, cultural attractions, parks and entertainment attractions, the time has now come for a downtown convention center. We don't need a large convention center competing head on with the Koury Convention Center at I-40 which has about 275,000 square feet of meeting space. A downtown facility, the size of the Benton Convention Center in Winston-Salem is feasible, about 75,000 to 100,000 square feet. There are enough conventions going around for Greensboro to have both a large and small convention center. Our central location and great highway system, makes Greensboro a natural fit being a convention destination. I don't think its a matter of if a convention center gets built downtown. Its a matter of who builds it, where it gets built and when it gets built. We'll find out within 30 days if Roy Carroll decides to build one within his Carroll at Bellemeade South project. IF and I say if Carroll builds a convention center there, expect a mixed-use highrise development. Maybe not as tall as originally planned but nevertheless some sort of highrise project due to the amount of land needed for a small convention center and then fit in a hotel, residential, retail and office. He'll probably downsize the office component from what he originally planned to get this project off the ground sooner.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 03-09-2019 at 07:53 AM..

Old 03-09-2019, 10:53 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,053,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I agree. Very exciting things happening downtown. The Tanger Center is in part responsible for the latest surge of new development involving hotels. Anchor projects do attract development as we clearly see happening around the ballpark. We have a baseball stadium and soon a performing arts center. Now a convention center is possibly on the table which will also attract future development. We may end up with a better development then the first one Carroll proposed with the tower on top of the parking deck. Carroll has more land to play with to add other uses like a convention center. It will be interesting to see if the hotel involved will still be an Aloft.

20 years ago it made no sense to build a convention center downtown. But with the new array of hotels, restaurants, the performing arts center, cultural attractions, parks and entertainment attractions, the time has now come for a downtown convention center. We don't need a large convention center competing head on with the Koury Convention Center at I-40 which has about 275,000 square feet of meeting space. A downtown facility, the size of the Benton Convention Center in Winston-Salem is feasible, about 75,000 to 100,000 square feet. There are enough conventions going around for Greensboro to have both a large and small convention center. Our central location and great highway system, makes Greensboro a natural fit being a convention destination. I don't think its a matter of if a convention center gets built downtown. Its a matter of who builds it, where it gets built and when it gets built. We'll find out within 30 days if Roy Carroll decides to build one within his Carroll at Bellemeade South project. IF and I say if Carroll builds a convention center there, expect a mixed-use highrise development. Maybe not as tall as originally planned but nevertheless some sort of highrise project due to the amount of land needed for a small convention center and then fit in a hotel, residential, retail and office. He'll probably downsize the office component from what he originally planned to get this project off the ground sooner.
Perhaps something similar to the Virginia Beach Town Center Westin would be what we get (on a smaller scale). The VB Westin is the tallest building in Virginia (just over 500 feet) and has the Westin on the bottom 20 or so floors and condos on the top 10-12 floors. No office component at all. Connected to the building at ground level, there are a few restaurants and there's also a parking garage attached (but not taking floors space from the main structure I don't believe).

With the land, he could probably build a 6-8 story hotel (perhaps a replacement of the current Marriott since I'm not sure that downtown needs a new hotel anytime soon with all the hotels being built recently) with 6-8 stories of condos on top. Put both of those on top of some ground floor retail (maybe even making two stories worth of retail/restaurant space) and you could have a 15-18 story tower that may be more in line with the Greensboro market. The convention center could also be an attached structure, but separate from the tower footprint.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Perhaps something similar to the Virginia Beach Town Center Westin would be what we get (on a smaller scale). The VB Westin is the tallest building in Virginia (just over 500 feet) and has the Westin on the bottom 20 or so floors and condos on the top 10-12 floors. No office component at all. Connected to the building at ground level, there are a few restaurants and there's also a parking garage attached (but not taking floors space from the main structure I don't believe).

With the land, he could probably build a 6-8 story hotel (perhaps a replacement of the current Marriott since I'm not sure that downtown needs a new hotel anytime soon with all the hotels being built recently) with 6-8 stories of condos on top. Put both of those on top of some ground floor retail (maybe even making two stories worth of retail/restaurant space) and you could have a 15-18 story tower that may be more in line with the Greensboro market. The convention center could also be an attached structure, but separate from the tower footprint.
I agree, that sounds about right. If Carroll doesn't include a convention center, the project might be more spread out like Carroll at Bellemeade. In that case we are talking about a midrise project between 6 and 8 stories. But I guess it depends on how the development is configured on the property. But a convention center on the property, particularly if it's close to 100,000 square feet would almost guarantee a highrise upwards to 18 stories max and a minimum of about 12 or 14 stories for the other mixed-use components. Again that all depends on how its configured whether or not its 12 stories or 18 stories. A look at an aerial of the property and it's easy to see it will be a highrise with the convention center included in the project. But Carroll building a convention center is no guarantee until he reveals his plans. He only tweeted he was thinking about building a convention center. But my guess is that he will follow through with it. We will soon find out. It would certainly attract more activity around the ballpark and with enough convention business, it could spark more hotel development after a convention center is built. Winston-Salem has more hotels in its downtown than Greensboro and that's thanks to the Benton Convention Center. Convention centers create demand for nearby hotels. Which is why there are a cluster of hotels surrounding the Sheraton Four Seasons/ Koury Convention Center. When you attract more heads in beds downtown, that leads to more downtown visitors which leads to more restaurants, cultural, entertainment attractions, ect. Convention Centers can indirectly help attract office development to a certain degree, particularly headquarters projects. Many companies have conventions or corporate workshops, so having a nearby convention center is beneficial.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 03-09-2019 at 12:13 PM..

Old 03-09-2019, 06:22 PM

3,000 seat Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts in downtown Greensboro.

Tanger Center vs DPAC

Steven Tanger Center

3,000 seats

111,000 square feet

Architect: H3 Hardy Collaboration Architecture

Sound System: Meyer Sound Constellation electronic acoustic enhancement system.

Cost: $89 million

DPAC

2,712 seats

103,000 square feet

Architect: Szostak Design

Cost: $48 million

Last edited by gsoboi78; 03-09-2019 at 07:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point