Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 06:04 AM

50 posts, read 102,378 times

Advertisements

I come from an area where all you'll see are rabbits, squirrels and the occasional groundhogs. It's rare to see anything bigger than that.

What kind of wildlife is common in Asheboro?

Also, how many acres does a house in Asheboro (or NC in general) need in order for hunting on the property to be legal? The reason I ask is we knew of someone in upstate NY who was accidentally shot/injured on his property by a man who was legally hunting on his own property next door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 07:24 AM

16 posts, read 76,047 times
You will see the same critters around Asheboro, but you will also regularly see Opposums ("possums") and racoons too. In recent years coyotes have moved into areas throughout NC. Hunters and farmers are seeing them more and more, so be mindful of your pets. Bobcats are around too, but you may never ever see one.

I don't know the answer to your hunting question. I'm sure you can find it though ... maybe on the NC fishing and game site? Most people, with any sense, wouldn't hunt on a small tract of land, but unfortunately you don't have to prove you have sense to buy a gun.

Are you worried about neighbors hunting around you or about having enough property to hunt yourself?

Old 08-28-2007, 08:20 PM

We're looking to get about 4 acres of property or so, and I wouldn't want a situation where I'd have to worry about stray bullets from the next property.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:52 AM

16 posts, read 76,047 times
I'm not a hunter, but I come from a family where hunting was routine and where neighboring property was leased for hunting.

If the property you are looking at is surrounded by other similar-sized properties that have homes on them, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I'm not saying a neighbor may not go outside of his or her house and shoot a few pesky squirrels from time to time, but no one should be "hunting" on a property that size (nor shooting in the direction of another home).

BUT, if your property is surrounded by large tracts of land where you suspect hunters may have a lease or owners may use it to hunt, then the best you can do is clearly mark the boundary of your property with no tresspassing signs (possibly write "residential property" on it), and then contact those property owners to find out if anyone hunts on their land. If they do, just tell them as the owner of the neighboring property you wanted to be aware if hunters use the land and kindly ask them to remind the hunters where your residential property is related to their hunting lease.

Then, during hunting season, you will be aware if you hear gunshots in the distance. If you have a heavily wooded lot and you plan to be out in it during hunting season (which is usually in the fall/winter months) then I would suggest taking precautions such as wearing a bright orange hat or wear a bright red or orange jacket, just to be on the safe side.

Most hunters are responsible and they don't hunt near residential areas.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:33 AM

I grew up in a town on eastern long island and there were a few small fields near my neighborhood. Hunting wasn't permitted on those fields and yet in the fall you'd see the guys out there and/or could hear their dogs. I guess they were looking for rabbits?
People would report them but you'd always see them out there again. Why they felt it was okay to hunt so close to residential areas, I don 't know.

Anyway thank you for the information.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:52 PM

820 posts, read 1,203,112 times
Here's the state web site for hunting laws:
www.ncwildlife.org

It's a good starting point for laws and hunting law enforcement information.

Hearing shots in the distance might be very hard to avoid in many areas.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:55 AM

535 posts, read 1,742,144 times
I used to hunt on a 5 acre lot, mostly for rabbits. A 410 doesn't go that far so I had no chance of hitting anyone and I never aimed at the property line. Nothing was there anyway.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:15 AM

820 posts, read 1,203,112 times
A gun is like a car , if the operator keeps it pointed in a safe direction innocent bystanders won't be hurt.
A gunshot in the distance is like a car engine sound that's 50 feet away.
Or the sound of an 18 wheeler passing you on a six lane highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point