Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 04:07 PM

12 posts, read 29,813 times

Advertisements

We just visited the wonderful Winston Salem area We want to live in Clemmons. We loved the Clemmons West subdivision and are looking at homes on Bridgewood Rd. or Drumheller Rd. and will be moving to the area before school starts for 2010-2011. I will be working in downtown Winston-Salem.

Can anyone answer some questions for me?

--Is this as nice of an area as it seems? It was beautiful to us. Is Clemmons West safe? Can we walk at night?

--I am a single mom with 2 children. One will go to the Clemmons Elementary School and the other to Clemmons Middle. Where will the bus pick them up? I did not see any shelters for bus stops. Does the bus come to the house?

--Schools--Will the area schools offer classes for above average students in elementary and middle?

--I will be transferring from Scranton, PA. Will we stick out as "Yankees"? We are friendly and quiet people.

--Are there many school-aged children in Clemmons West? We saw plenty of older people, but no young kids. Where do they congregate?

--What are your water bills like? Right now I pay about $170 every 3 months. How does that compare?

--Summer--How hot? Is it unbearable? Do people work outside?

--Lawn Service--Who do you suggest and how much does it cost monthly?

Any other information about Clemmons West (good or bad) will be very welcome.

My thanks to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 04:45 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Hi CtoC, welcome to Clemmons! I live in Clemmons West, so I'll try to answer your questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingtoClemmons View Post
We just visited the wonderful Winston Salem area We want to live in Clemmons. We loved the Clemmons West subdivision and are looking at homes on Bridgewood Rd. or Drumheller Rd. and will be moving to the area before school starts for 2010-2011. I will be working in downtown Winston-Salem.

Can anyone answer some questions for me?

--Is this as nice of an area as it seems? It was beautiful to us. Is Clemmons West safe? Can we walk at night?
Yes, yes, yes. Very safe--you'll find many people out walking the neighborhood in the evenings and at night.

--I am a single mom with 2 children. One will go to the Clemmons Elementary School and the other to Clemmons Middle. Where will the bus pick them up? I did not see any shelters for bus stops. Does the bus come to the house?
The elementary school bus comes early, around 6:50 am. It stops every couple of blocks, so you may need to walk just a bit. Unfortunately there are no shelters.

--Schools--Will the area schools offer classes for above average students in elementary and middle?
Yes, moreso in middle school than elementary, but they do test kids for "gifted-ness" and there are a number of options, including accelerated classes and highly gifted magnet schools.

--I will be transferring from Scranton, PA. Will we stick out as "Yankees"? We are friendly and quiet people.
Yes, you will definitely stick out. KIDDING--there are all kinds of people in this neighborhood. No one cares where you come from.

--Are there many school-aged children in Clemmons West? We saw plenty of older people, but no young kids. Where do they congregate?
Lots of young kids in the neighborhood. You'll see them hanging out around the pool in summer.

--What are your water bills like? Right now I pay about $170 every 3 months. How does that compare?
Our water bills average around $70-80/mo. for a family of four.

--Summer--How hot? Is it unbearable? Do people work outside?
I suppose it's all relative depending on what you're used to. Summer temps can easily reach the mid to high 90's, but usually it cools off considerably when the sun goes down. Yes, many people do work outside.

--Lawn Service--Who do you suggest and how much does it cost monthly?
Sorry, can't help with this one as I don't use a lawn service.

Any other information about Clemmons West (good or bad) will be very welcome.
Most everyone I know loves it here. I think you will too!

My thanks to you

Old 04-02-2010, 12:10 PM

Wow! Thank you so much for your well thought out reply. You answered all of my questions, and I really appreciate that.

I did have one more question....

It seems like many of the homes in Clemmons West have septic instead of public sewer There is a "public option" from what I understand. But, we looked at many homes that had private septic.

I have NO problem with having a septic system ( I actually prefer it), but many of the developments around here started forcing residents to hook up to to public sewer It costs some big bucks and my friends have no choice. They MUST hook up to public sewer

So, my question is--Have you heard of any "talk" that they will be forcing Clemmons West residents to hook up to public sewer in the near future?

Would people protest this? Would they even dare ask you to do this? I don't want to buy a house and have a big ticket item within a few months/years.

Thank you again for your help

Old 04-03-2010, 06:34 AM

I'm not aware of any septic tank issues...I didn't even know there were any septic tanks here. My house was built in 1979 (it's in the "older" section of the neighborhood) and we're on the public sewer. I assumed everyone else was public sewer too since most other houses are newer than ours. I have never heard of anyone being "forced" to hook up to the public sewer, so I don't believe it will be an issue for you. I know sometimes they require a minimum number of hookups when new sewer lines are run, to justify the cost. But in our case the lines have been here for years and they're already paid for, so there's no reason to force anyone to connect.

If you have more questions, just ask!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,972 times
arbyunc, you seem to be "in the know"!!! Are there any K-8 schools in the area? How many elementary schools are in the area? Which schools would you recommend? What about neighborhoods? Any recommendations? Any neighborhoods we should be sure to steer clear of?

Old 04-14-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaschultz View Post
arbyunc, you seem to be "in the know"!!! Are there any K-8 schools in the area?

If you mean K-8 at the same school, no. Elementary schools are K-5, middle schools are 6-8, high schools 9-12.

How many elementary schools are in the area?

There are 3 public elementary schools that serve the Clemmons area--Ward, Southwest, and Clemmons Elementary. All have excellent reputations. Most of the kids from these schools feed into Clemmons Middle School, although some feed to Meadowlark Middle. High schools are West Forsyth (most Clemmons kids go here) and Reagan--both have excellent reputations and are among the best in the county.

Which schools would you recommend?

You won't go wrong with any of them. I will say that Clemmons Middle doesn't have the stellar reputation of the elementary schools. It's not that it's "bad", it just isn't quite as good as the elementary schools because some teachers and the administration aren't as strong. I'd still recommend it, though.

What about neighborhoods? Any recommendations? Any neighborhoods we should be sure to steer clear of?

There are a number of large, well-established neighborhoods--Clemmons West, Salem Glen, Asbury Place, Meadowbrook, and Waterford to name a few. There are no bad neighborhoods.
Hope this helps!

Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 PM

9 posts, read 15,775 times
Coming to Clemmons: My husband and I are being relocated to Winston Salem. We are looking at houses in Clemmons West this weekend! I noticed you are from Scranton, Pa. I grew up in Matamoras, PA, the next town over from Milford! Did you move to Clemmons?

Old 09-03-2010, 11:50 AM

We did move to Clemmons! But not Clemmons West I regret that. We moved to Meadowbrook. And, while it is nice and so are the people, I now have Clemmons West Envy. I drive over there to pick up children in our carpool and I wish we would have paid a bit more and purchased a house there.

Carafaythw, do you have children that will be in the public school system here?

My older child made it into Hanes (gifted), but I may transfer him to Clemmons Middle. The drive to Hanes is not an easy one from here and it looks to me like Clemmons Middle is on its way up They built a new school and it took away some of the congestion at Clemmons Middle.

I get this information from all of the chatty moms

Matamoras I know where Milford is! What will bring you to NC?

I really like Clemmons. My only regret is that I did not buy in Clemmons West.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:23 PM

^ I tried to tell ya!

Old 09-03-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ I tried to tell ya!

Yes you did

It was only a matter of $20K.

Clemmons West would have been worth it for sure. It just seems cleaner and more of a community there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point