Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:05 PM

7 posts, read 18,379 times

Advertisements

Fantastic...these last few posts are a bit more encouraging. Thank you all, I really appreciate it.

gsupstate - you know any single lesbians in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 07:36 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkheart View Post
Fantastic...these last few posts are a bit more encouraging. Thank you all, I really appreciate it.

gsupstate - you know any single lesbians in the area?
I do. I'll PM you to discuss possible e-mail address exchange.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:47 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
I have a question on this subject as I have a major decision to make in the next few months. I am at early retirement age and have considered this area off and on now for some time. Its now time to make the decison and get on with it to a proper retirement locale late this year. This city and area is constantly rated high on the list of top choices in the Eastern USA for retirees. I want to retire on the East Coast as I am a native to the Northeast. I just don't want the climate and high COL there.

With that said I could use some real honest info. I don't spend much time thinking about Im gay, and my life certainly does not evolve around it by no means. However I would not want to be in an area where I had no options to meet other people both gay and st8. I would not want to be in an area where people would shun me If they suspected. I do know what that feels like and I don't want it in retirement years. I would want to know there is at least churches where gay people attend. Such as the MCC or Unitarian churches. Whatever they may be. Just something to know that Greenville is for everyone, because to be honest some comments make it appear otherwise.

Where Greenville has become a hotbed for transplants, Int'l companies and Whole Foods. When a city can attrack SW to its airport, and there is to be an expansion those are signals. Signals that the area is diverse and growing and should be ok for the gay person to settle also. Yet there are overtones its not at least towards gays. Now Im going by what I have read on the forums for sometime. I have nothing else to go by. I have to admit seeing that Whole Foods has a store there is definitely a sign of what life may be like in the area. A good sign. Whole Foods doesn't set up stores in Podunk America so it must see something in the area.

So how is life really like for a gay person in this city, and what would it be like for the older gay person that is not from there. I really could use your most honest replies. I would rather hear it would be a great place to retire for the gay person, but if people honestly felt its a poor choice. Well I'd rather hear that. Im not cutout for Asheville or Ft Lauderdale. I grew up in the small towns in Southern New England not far from the big cities. So I would like to retire in a similiar setting such as Greenville, that is also near big cities but not in them. Plus I want the warmer climate, lower COL and I love all the trails and downtown that Greenville has plus the growing airport. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I have a question on this subject as I have a major decision to make in the next few months. I am at early retirement age and have considered this area off and on now for some time. Its now time to make the decison and get on with it to a proper retirement locale late this year. This city and area is constantly rated high on the list of top choices in the Eastern USA for retirees. I want to retire on the East Coast as I am a native to the Northeast. I just don't want the climate and high COL there.

With that said I could use some real honest info. I don't spend much time thinking about Im gay, and my life certainly does not evolve around it by no means. However I would not want to be in an area where I had no options to meet other people both gay and st8. I would not want to be in an area where people would shun me If they suspected. I do know what that feels like and I don't want it in retirement years. I would want to know there is at least churches where gay people attend. Such as the MCC or Unitarian churches. Whatever they may be. Just something to know that Greenville is for everyone, because to be honest some comments make it appear otherwise.

Where Greenville has become a hotbed for transplants, Int'l companies and Whole Foods. When a city can attrack SW to its airport, and there is to be an expansion those are signals. Signals that the area is diverse and growing and should be ok for the gay person to settle also. Yet there are overtones its not at least towards gays. Now Im going by what I have read on the forums for sometime. I have nothing else to go by. I have to admit seeing that Whole Foods has a store there is definitely a sign of what life may be like in the area. A good sign. Whole Foods doesn't set up stores in Podunk America so it must see something in the area.

So how is life really like for a gay person in this city, and what would it be like for the older gay person that is not from there. I really could use your most honest replies. I would rather hear it would be a great place to retire for the gay person, but if people honestly felt its a poor choice. Well I'd rather hear that. Im not cutout for Asheville or Ft Lauderdale. I grew up in the small towns in Southern New England not far from the big cities. So I would like to retire in a similiar setting such as Greenville, that is also near big cities but not in them. Plus I want the warmer climate, lower COL and I love all the trails and downtown that Greenville has plus the growing airport. Thanks in advance.
I have extensive experience with small towns in Southern New England, and Greenville is nothing like them. As you know, those towns are quaint and suburban, with many people living there and working in NYC. Greenville is very much a city and metro area, so it doesn't feel at all like a Southern New England town. It is very much a contrast in terms of feel, as Greenville feels very new. You don't see new developments in the small Southern New England towns. You see them all over the place in Greenville.

Greenville feels very clean. Being at the foothills of the mountains creates a very comfortable terrain in my opinion. It is a progressive area. Don't assume that because people vote very Republican that the area is close-minded. In fact, I think you'll find that the area is very welcoming and open-minded. If you were looking for a place where the gay lifestyle is celebrated (e.g., San Francisco) then Greenville wouldn't be my first recommendation for you. But Greenville is definitely a place where you can be gay and not feel like you have to hide it.

There are several posters here who have first-hand experience as gay men in Greenville, and each of them has felt more accepted in Greenville than in other places. Hopefully they will add their thoughts here.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:32 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
My partner & I have lived in the area for 11 years now, and love it. There's always something to do (events, games, arts, etc), and we've felt welcomed and included from Day One. We live in a typical suburban neighborhood, and count several neighbors as friends.

Jimrob, you're right in thinking the area is becoming more diverse, and largely for the reasons you mentioned. Hearing a Southern accent while out & about has become a hit-or-miss thing, because so many people have moved here from other places. You're nearly as likely to hear a German or French accent as a Southern one!

The area is attracting more retirees all the time as well, so I'm sure you'll meet others who share your interests & concerns, whether gay or not. I think you'll be happy here.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:50 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Jimrob1, as I had written earlier in this thread, Greenville is a very nice, accepting place. My partner and I have been here for several years and love it. You won't find the rainbow flag waving and parades with leather chaps here, so if that is your scene, you'll be disappointed. What you will find is a strong gay community made up of a good number number of white collar gay couples.

I think the thing I like best about Greenville is the fact that for the first time, I don't see a city I live in as having gay and straight people, but simply a city having really nice people.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:00 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Glad to hear from everyone. Thanks. Im definitely not looking for San Francisco and I sure as hell do not want another Portland. I would not describe myself as a political type person, and the extremes of it on the West Coast are not appealing to me. Greenville is more along the lines of what I would want. Size, location, climate and COL and mixtures of people. New England is a unique place. Im originally from the exurbs of Boston and suburbs of Providence, so suburban towns but the big cities were minutes away. I wouldn't expect Greenville to be exactly like a New England town and thats fine. Greenville has its own appeal.

I love all the pictures I have seen on here of the trails and downtown. People from elsewhere would never think there was such a place. I can see why Greenville has been getting all this publicity and is tops in the retirement magazines. I wonder if Southwest is planning to add flights from there? I will be having more questions in the future. Thanks again. Jimrob1

Old 03-21-2011, 09:30 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Southwest has said it would be at least a year before they seriously look at adding flights. But I'm sure it's inevitable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area