Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 07:01 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times

Advertisements

I think this little exchange between skyliner and sojones shows just how different two people can view the same thing. As they say in politics, "Where you stand depends upon where you sit."
Racial bias? Easy there, cowboy. Everyone is biased based on there own experiences. I've heard sojones view of Spartanburg from others as well. You two clearly don't hang with the same crowd. Just because your bias is the bias of the majority doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It just means that most people will accept it as the "truth."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Sojones that is not at all the truth. Show me where Spartanburg has more entertainment than Greenville. Your racial bias is clearly showing in your posts. As someone who lives and works in both Greenville and Spartanburg, I know each city very well and if Greenville is conservative then Spartanburg is ultra-conservative where the churches do dominate the entertainment scene. Let's not even get into the "cultural diversity" debate because a visit to either city would be enough to show Greenville's clear advantage. It isn't very hard to see the obvious acceptance of all cultures if you open your eyes and mind even slightly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 07:35 AM

609 posts, read 1,619,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Sojones that is not at all the truth. Show me where Spartanburg has more entertainment than Greenville. Your racial bias is clearly showing in your posts. As someone who lives and works in both Greenville and Spartanburg, I know each city very well and if Greenville is conservative then Spartanburg is ultra-conservative where the churches do dominate the entertainment scene. Let's not even get into the "cultural diversity" debate because a visit to either city would be enough to show Greenville's clear advantage. It isn't very hard to see the obvious acceptance of all cultures if you open your eyes and mind even slightly.
well........... just use the site you're on.........

What entertainment does Greenville have?

Anything here, I can proimse you Spartanburg has two for everyone one greenville has.... Fun Parks to Lounges/Cafes/Clubs....

Interesting downtown venues/events such as Spartangburg's downtown alive run circles around what Greenville does for their 'downtown alive'.... The concerts at that one big park downtown, I forget the name.. they are usually awesome.

Greenville is just a very restrictive place that religous politicians (because preachers do preach alot about who to vote for here loL) have a huge hand on.

I don't know what stats you look at but Spartanburg's 'Black' & Hispanic population togethor is greater than the white population. Just facts, not a racial thing at all. Your views must be very conservative to make a statement like that? And that's my point. Also why I'd assume you live in Greenville.

Greenville's white population is the majority by far and easily seen.

HISTORICALLY, Spartanburg was a major city for those of African-descent (Afro-Americans, Cubans, Ricans, Native American Mixes, Gullah, etc). As it became extremely successful, whites came and burnt it down literally... Eradicating community built businesses, homes, churches, etc.
^ A fact..................... and it hasn't change quite yet and I doubt it will ever. It's a beautiful city with a lot of culture, just needs more career options.

With all the student life in Spartanburg, I believe if it had career-options readily available, it could easily catch Greenville's population.

The adidas super-factory opening there soon, which will bring an estimated 15,000 jobs I believe is going to make the population jump there something tremendous.

I've also known people who've moved to Spartanburg from other states and honestly they tend to stay there moreso than those that move to Greenville. But it's not like I know the majority of people who move here so it's just one man's life. Not to judge everyone at all.

The Bi-Lo center does have one upper-hand on Spartanburg as it allows for larger concerts and venus but still, Spartanburg has a nice circuit of entertainment from underground rock n' roll to hip hop to comedy lounges to plays.

Not to mention, it's got 2 of the nation's hottest high school sports teams.... Dorman and Byrnes High School. There sending out Top recruits every year now and even Visa sponsors their team with a card. The city really loves those schools and it's great entertainment as well.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:05 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
^^1,800 jobs for Adidas, not 15,000. What I have to put up with sometimes. Jeez. Sojones, go to the doctor and get your head examined.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:04 AM

26 posts, read 107,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
well........... just use the site you're on.........

What entertainment does Greenville have?

Anything here, I can proimse you Spartanburg has two for everyone one greenville has.... Fun Parks to Lounges/Cafes/Clubs....

Interesting downtown venues/events such as Spartangburg's downtown alive run circles around what Greenville does for their 'downtown alive'.... The concerts at that one big park downtown, I forget the name.. they are usually awesome.

Greenville is just a very restrictive place that religous politicians (because preachers do preach alot about who to vote for here loL) have a huge hand on.

I don't know what stats you look at but Spartanburg's 'Black' & Hispanic population togethor is greater than the white population. Just facts, not a racial thing at all. Your views must be very conservative to make a statement like that? And that's my point. Also why I'd assume you live in Greenville.

Greenville's white population is the majority by far and easily seen.

HISTORICALLY, Spartanburg was a major city for those of African-descent (Afro-Americans, Cubans, Ricans, Native American Mixes, Gullah, etc). As it became extremely successful, whites came and burnt it down literally... Eradicating community built businesses, homes, churches, etc.
^ A fact..................... and it hasn't change quite yet and I doubt it will ever. It's a beautiful city with a lot of culture, just needs more career options.

With all the student life in Spartanburg, I believe if it had career-options readily available, it could easily catch Greenville's population.

The adidas super-factory opening there soon, which will bring an estimated 15,000 jobs I believe is going to make the population jump there something tremendous.

I've also known people who've moved to Spartanburg from other states and honestly they tend to stay there moreso than those that move to Greenville. But it's not like I know the majority of people who move here so it's just one man's life. Not to judge everyone at all.

The Bi-Lo center does have one upper-hand on Spartanburg as it allows for larger concerts and venus but still, Spartanburg has a nice circuit of entertainment from underground rock n' roll to hip hop to comedy lounges to plays.

Not to mention, it's got 2 of the nation's hottest high school sports teams.... Dorman and Byrnes High School. There sending out Top recruits every year now and even Visa sponsors their team with a card. The city really loves those schools and it's great entertainment as well.
Look, I'm from Spartanburg and love my town. But some of your facts aren't quite right.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:50 PM

301 posts, read 804,152 times
Spartanburg is slowly dying. Most people are moving out and away. Greenville is growing and has a bustle and a 'feel' to it. Greenville is great for basicly all of your needs. However, if you want a small, diverse, (practicly) dead community, come to Spartanburg. It suits some people well.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:16 PM

7 posts, read 23,350 times
I love both Greenville and Spartanburg, but I'm biased towards Spartanburg since that's where I live.

Spartanburg often gets overshadowed by Greenville, but Spartanburg is quickly growing and becoming more prosperous.

Spartanburg certainly isn't dying. Slowly but surely downtown is being revitalized, and the developement on the west side of town is amazing.

BMW North American Headquarters, Denny's Headquarters, Advance America, Extended Stay America Hotels, QS1 are all in Spartanburg.

USC Upstate, Converse, Wofford, Spartanburg Methodist, Spartanburg Community College, etc.

Look at all the activity on the west side. The area around Westgate Mall and the Dorman Center can certainly rival Greenville.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:21 PM

153 posts, read 715,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsscholar View Post
Look, I'm from Spartanburg and love my town. But some of your facts aren't quite right.
Ditto to that. Jeez. Those facts are waay wrong. I like that you love Spartanburg so much but you really need to get your facts straight, sojones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogax3Girl View Post
Spartanburg is slowly dying. Most people are moving out and away. Greenville is growing and has a bustle and a 'feel' to it. Greenville is great for basicly all of your needs. However, if you want a small, diverse, (practicly) dead community, come to Spartanburg. It suits some people well.
Wrong. Spartanburg is a growing place. Its neither dead, nor is it dying. If anything, the word renaissance means more today than it ever has. If you don't believe me then you either live in a cardbord box in Una or you are just looking to bash Spartanburg. Go downtown, Roebuck, Boiling Springs, Zion Hill, Reidville Rd, Duncan, Lake Bowen, or any of the other places that are growing like mad around town and see if you feel the same way.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:08 PM

20 posts, read 57,681 times
I used to live in Greenville and moved to Spartanburg. I know both pretty well and I prefer Spartanburg. I also know several other couples that have done the same and they don't regret the move either. Some of the basic reasons are:
-Travel, We have easy access to GSP and Charlotte's airport is only 50-60 minutes with much better everything (except landscaping).
-The interstate system is much better, I-85, I-585, Business 85 and I-26, More roads and less traffic.
-The cost of living is less
-The people seem more friendly and less arrogant
-More colleges and diversity
-2 really nice recreational lakes within 15 minutes of downtown (Bowen and Blalock)
-Many nice international and cultural festivals
-Great historical sites and neighborhoods
-The East and West sides of town are both very nice and balance the growing and resurgent downtown.
-Great biking routes and events
-Enough shopping and dining, with a lot of mom and pop places left.
-Several great golf courses and country clubs
-1 hour to Charlotte, Asheville and 3 hours to Charleston
-My children love Cleveland Park and the park Train.
-2 really good Hospitals.
Spartanburg has so much activities for families, most events are free and you feel welcome when you attend.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:25 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
I've been focusing my attention on Greenville and the surrounding towns (Mauldin, Simpsonville, Travelers Rest) but I was looking on the MLS and saw some very lovely homes in Moore priced reasonable. When a city/town is a suburb or a larger area like Spartanburg, is it isolated or just a short trip down the road? It's odd that in one article I will read that Spartanburg is a dying city and in another article I will read there are many cultural activities and it's growing rapidly.

On a personal note, would you say that an "outsider" would feel more or less comfortable in a larger area like Simpsonville where there are more newcomers? (I won't "stick out" so much!) I like the idea of being in a country setting, but I also don't want to drive an hour just to go to a store.

What I've seen on this board seems to be a similar to "do you like Naples or Fort Myers better? in Florida a few years ago. Naples is priced (overpriced) much higher than most areas of Fort Myers and is very snooty. Although they are only 30 to 40 miles apart (depending on your starting point) you will never in a million years get someone in Naples to say he/she prefers Fort Myers or vice-versa.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:52 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Just visit both places in person more than once before making a decision. Some will choose one over the other and vice-versa. Some will not care a great deal about the differences. Personally, the two places are similar in climate, but not at all similar in lifestyle and available options - Greenville easily wins hands down in every category for my family. I'm fairly certain though that both can be enjoyable places to live. Take your time exploring the area and determining what you are most interested in for yourself and/or your family. Consider all aspects of living, including how/whether location will play a key role in your lifestyle as it relates to neighborhoods and travel distances. If you need additional help in specific areas, just ask and we will do our best to provide satisfactory answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area