Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2020, 03:24 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,865 times

Advertisements

I’ve said from the beginning, Lowes Foods can’t compete with the type of stores they’re opening. Case in point- I spend a lot of time along the coast. I’ve got meetings in Myrtle Beach this week. I was going to visit the Lowes food at 82nd and Hwy 17. Nothing but the Lowes label scar, and interior work in progress. I’m hoping CK will have an update. The word from the barber I visit here is the new Publix just kicked their rear end. No way Lowes Foods competes in the upstate or anywhere else in SC for much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 08:42 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
A Harris Teeter manager told me they wanted at least 5 or 6 stores eventually in the area, which would likely include the suburbs. Perhaps they could acquire certain BI-LO or Lowe's Foods locations, but that is just speculation at this point. While the Lowe's Foods are nice, I'm not really sure how strong they may be performing. Meanwhile BI-LO is failing. But HT has the economic and logistical support from Kroger, one of the nation's largest grocers.
Can we see additional movement from Harris Teeter in 2020 beyond the opening of Harris Teeter #357 at NorthPointe in Greenville?

Old 01-07-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ForksSC View Post
I’ve said from the beginning, Lowes Foods can’t compete with the type of stores they’re opening. Case in point- I spend a lot of time along the coast. I’ve got meetings in Myrtle Beach this week. I was going to visit the Lowes food at 82nd and Hwy 17. Nothing but the Lowes label scar, and interior work in progress. I’m hoping CK will have an update. The word from the barber I visit here is the new Publix just kicked their rear end. No way Lowes Foods competes in the upstate or anywhere else in SC for much longer.
Lowe's Foods' stores do not do well when competing directly with Harris Teeter and Publix. Its updated existing stores and recently opened new stores are nice, but they are not enough to keep up with the positive consistencies of Harris Teeter and Publix's stores.

What is the future of Lowe's Foods' stores in Greenville County? I heard both stores are not performing well. I would not be surprised if a supermarket competitor increasing its presence in Greenville County would acquire both stores.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:28 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,411 times
The Lowe's at 82 Ave only lasted six years,and in an area growing like wildfire.

I'm trying to get my daughters family of three to move to the Pawley's Island area and was relieved to see lowe's still rocking along.My daughter is not a snob but rather is when it comes to grocery stores.

Any updates on Bilo/WD?

Old 01-07-2020, 09:30 PM

84 posts, read 60,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
The Lowe's at 82 Ave only lasted six years,and in an area growing like wildfire.

I'm trying to get my daughters family of three to move to the Pawley's Island area and was relieved to see lowe's still rocking along.My daughter is not a snob but rather is when it comes to grocery stores.

Any updates on Bilo/WD?
That store was a mess, Alex Lee (Lowes Parent Company) and the developer of the shopping center are involved in several lawsuits with each other over breach of contract. It would've closed when the lease ended anyways.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the Lowes in Greer is profitable. I have no information on Simpsonville as of today. Lowes did sell a lot in Greenville they had planned on building a 3rd location on, and has really focused on Columbia and Charleston, so that may be an indicator there. All of their Columbia stores are doing fairly well, especially Lexington. Their newest store in Mt Pleasant has not been a success however, but they have not changed plans to build a second Mt Pleasant location as of today.

Bilo and WD have closed a few individual stores recently, but nothing big, Darlington and Goose Creek being the two I'm aware of in SC, Food Lion already took the Goose Creek location, which was one of their "updated" stores. I expect more to close this year, especially in North Carolina. If I had to guess they'll continue to shrink and then sell their stores to other operators. I'm hoping to see more Piggly Wiggly.

Last edited by BillSmith0711; 01-07-2020 at 09:38 PM..

Old 01-07-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmith0711 View Post
That store was a mess, Alex Lee (Lowes Parent Company) and the developer of the shopping center are involved in several lawsuits with each other over breach of contract. It would've closed when the lease ended anyways.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the Lowes in Greer is profitable. I have no information on Simpsonville as of today. Lowes did sell a lot in Greenville they had planned on building a 3rd location on, and has really focused on Columbia and Charleston, so that may be an indicator there. All of their Columbia stores are doing fairly well, especially Lexington. Their newest store in Mt Pleasant has not been a success however, but they have not changed plans to build a second Mt Pleasant location as of today.
Lowe's Foods' stores have short lifespans when they compete directly against better supermarkets. It is easy to count the number of closed stores near Ingle's, Harris Teeter, and Publix in North Carolina and South Carolina.

Lowe's Foods #263 is far from being profitable. It has customer traffic for grocery sales. It does not have the necessary business for its service departments.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:27 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,411 times
Really, Piggly Wiggly Carolina Company was a player, but the francises and the few company owned stores are pretty much done and filling in the cracks.A rebirth would be cool, but I can't see it.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:46 AM

84 posts, read 60,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Lowe's Foods' stores have short lifespans when they compete directly against better supermarkets. It is easy to count the number of closed stores near Ingle's, Harris Teeter, and Publix in North Carolina and South Carolina.

Lowe's Foods #263 is far from being profitable. It has customer traffic for grocery sales. It does not have the necessary business for its service departments.
It is profitable, I know this for a fact. Not as much as when it originally opened, but not losing money either. Lowes entire model is based on using its specialty departments as a loss leader then making the money on their higher grocery margins.

That's debatable. They did leave the Charlotte market, but have held their own in Raleigh, even increasing market share (granted Kroger leaving has to do with that), and are also doing fine in Wilmington, both have Harris Teeter everywhere, and have had Publix for awhile now. They've never really competed on a large scale with Ingles aside from a few random stores, and their sister company MDI does some of Ingles wholesale anyways. They also drove Harris Teeter out of Hickory and the Publix there is always dead aside from a few people looking for specialty items. They lead both Harris Teeter and Publix in marketshare in Greensboro, and are holding strong in Winston Salem as well. I have friends from Florida who always tell me how much better Lowes #245 is than any Publix they've ever been to, "the grass is always greener..." as they say though. This may change over time, they're smaller, but have little to no debt and plenty of cash on hand, so they can last awhile. As a company Lowes sales are up since 2011. If you look at the stores they've closed, besides Charlotte, its clearly the ones that are smaller and dated. The ONLY updated (Charlotte stores were not their newer model) store they have closed is the mentioned Myrtle Beach location, which as a I said was tangled in several lawsuits.

One las thing, if you go to your average Harris Teeter in the Triangle, and then go to an average Lowes there, the Lowes is miles ahead, not even comparable, most people there shop at HT because its the closest to where they live.

Quote:
Really, Piggly Wiggly Carolina Company was a player, but the francises and the few company owned stores are pretty much done and filling in the cracks.A rebirth would be cool, but I can't see it.
C&S Wholesale owns the Piggly Wiggly name and is also the distributor for Bilo. C&S has already shown it will basically buy closing stores and give them to other operators they distribute to, Piggly Wiggly makes the most sense in SC. Not saying 100s of stores, but I'd expect to see 10-20 over the next 5-10 years added in the SC and eastern GA markets.

Last edited by BillSmith0711; 01-08-2020 at 05:54 AM..

Old 01-08-2020, 06:39 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
Yes. I wouldn't read too much into Lowes closing one underperforming store in Myrtle Beach. They still have other stores in the grandstand area. The Little River store there has been open I would guess at least 15 years.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:56 AM

401 posts, read 379,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Yes. I wouldn't read too much into Lowes closing one underperforming store in Myrtle Beach. They still have other stores in the grandstand area. The Little River store there has been open I would guess at least 15 years.
Not sure why there seems to be a group cheering for the failure of Lowe's Foods. This grocery thread is confusing. One on hand, posts about how Greenville needs more grocery options while the other hand is cheering for the closure of Lowe's Food, BI-LO, and Food Lion. You grocery folks are a hoot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area