Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for or against a 1 cent increase in sales tax to repair Greenville County roads?
Yes, I am FOR the tax increase 39 50.65%
No, I am AGAINST the tax increase 38 49.35%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 10:09 AM

826 posts, read 1,126,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
What has not been mentioned in this thread is that the state of South Carolina has one of the largest state maintained road networks and one of the lowest gas tax. That equation does not add up.
Yep I read somewhere awhile back that at current funding levels state roads are on 80+ year repaving cycle. Kind of mind boggling that some people don't think there is a problem. Raising the gas tax is probably the best solution to the problem, but our state politicians are more concerned about keeping their jobs than doing the right thing. At the local county level this is really the only option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 10:42 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
Yep I read somewhere awhile back that at current funding levels state roads are on 80+ year repaving cycle. Kind of mind boggling that some people don't think there is a problem. Raising the gas tax is probably the best solution to the problem, but our state politicians are more concerned about keeping their jobs than doing the right thing. At the local county level this is really the only option.
I've been leaning NO, but am still on the fence. Never happy about raising taxes, even though I am blessed with a good paying job, I know a lot of people who need every dollar they can get.

You make a good point though.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:03 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,594 times
Lots of gridlock out there on Woodruff Rd, thanks to the intersection blockers ... is voting YES a good idea or not? Greenville PD

Quote:
Traffic Congestion!
There is a lot of traffic congestion on Woodruff Road due to a few wrecks and lane closures on I-85. Please avoid Woodruff Rd if at all possible for the next few hours.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In Orange View Post
If you are at Walmart and there is only one checkout lane open, do you want them to try to improve the efficiency of that one checkout lane, or would you prefer them to open up more checkout lanes? What is truly going to ease wait times? More checkout lanes.

This guy took your suggestion and "opened up a new lane". He just pulled into this lane. The next left turn is about 1/2 mile down Woodruff road.

A bit of gridlock:

More gridlock:

I don't think we need to improve the Woodruff Rd situation for the new retailers: the latecomers knew what they were getting into when they built. But my view is that ordinary citizens who have to go this way on business waste a huge number of hours waiting in line. Not to mention that emergency vehicles couldn't penetrate parts of Woodruff Rd at all if somethign came up.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:31 AM

This ought to clear up some of the FUD surrounding the referendum:

Group says false statements made about November Roads Referendum

Old 10-29-2014, 05:08 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
This ought to clear up some of the FUD surrounding the referendum:

Group says false statements made about November Roads Referendum
It is interesting that two parties still see the referendum differently. I don't know what AFP has to gain in this, but obviously the city council and others have much to gain.

The city council will need to be good to its word using the money only on roads and following through the proposed changing of the language to exempt groceries. If they go against this later down the road, they will kill any future tax hike ever. Transparency will be the key.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:53 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
It is interesting that two parties still see the referendum differently. I don't know what AFP has to gain in this, but obviously the city council and others have much to gain.
What Americans For Prosperity (the Koch Brothers) gains is an ignorant electorate which will help them advance their libertarian goals, which in the end means even more wealth (for them). Their flyers spread false information, that you have then spread yourself. I've received at least two flyers from them, both lying and/or misleading.

Very little of what Americans for Prosperity says has historically been accurate. Check out their politifact file:

All statements involving Americans for Prosperity | PolitiFact

They have the wealth to continue to misinform Americans all throughout this country, even on such local issues. To the point that some people think that any tax, or any regulation, at any time hurts us somehow, no matter the reality or history or absurdity of that notion is.

I'm not sure how we fix roads without, you know, spending money on the roads. What is the alternative to paying for road improvements?

Am I supposed to rally the people on my block to pitch in and hire some people to fix our road? Do we need to go buy trucks, asphalt and some shovels? Then have every other block and business do the same? Aren't having decent roads just one of the easy, basic and legitimate functions of government?

What does the county (not city) gain by fixing the roads? Other than better governance (and better roads)?

What do they "obviously" gain?

Old 10-29-2014, 05:59 AM

292 posts, read 344,721 times
Default Vote No!

Do not vote to increase taxes! We are already paying enough taxes as it is, and with the economy being so poor we need to hold on to every penny.

There is more than enough money in the state and local treasuries to fix our roads. The problem is mismanagement of this money, and lack of efficiency/incentive in government to allocate it to the roads. Giving the government more money will just mean they have more to mismanage.

And they are already talking about increasing gasoline taxes on top of this increase in sales tax. And if anyone believes that this increase will be used solely on Greenville county roads, I have a nice bridge to sell them that runs across the East River in NYC.

-----------------

http://notaxhikesc.com/wp-content/up...etterRoads.pdf

Opinion: Vote

No Legislative Fix for Greenville Grocery Tax

Old 10-29-2014, 07:15 AM

20 posts, read 27,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post
Do not vote to increase taxes! We are already paying enough taxes as it is, and with the economy being so poor we need to hold on to every penny.

There is more than enough money in the state and local treasuries to fix our roads. The problem is mismanagement of this money, and lack of efficiency/incentive in government to allocate it to the roads. Giving the government more money will just mean they have more to mismanage.

And they are already talking about increasing gasoline taxes on top of this increase in sales tax. And if anyone believes that this increase will be used solely on Greenville county roads, I have a nice bridge to sell them that runs across the East River in NYC.

-----------------

http://notaxhikesc.com/wp-content/up...etterRoads.pdf

Opinion: Vote

No Legislative Fix for Greenville Grocery Tax
This is about the most ignorant comment in this whole thread.

Questions have been asked numerous times about where the extra money can come from.

I saw something on the news yesterday that a Clemson study said the average household will only see about $120 a year in additional taxes.

Please tell me where $2.30 per week is going to hurt seniors or the poor.

A gas tax increase is what the state as a whole need to do to address the shortfalls in transportation funding every year, but the likely hood of this passing is not very good.

Go to Spartanburg and buy stuff to avoid the taxes, but please don't spend more than $2.30 in extra gas to get to the stores.

A little extra county spending would probably help the "poor" economy in Greenville.

How many times do you have to hear that the county CANT spend this proposed tax revenue on anything BUT roads. You voted county council into the positions that they have now. If you CANT trust them then shame on you for putting them in the positions they currently hold.

Last edited by PiKappEL251; 10-29-2014 at 07:25 AM..

Old 10-29-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKappEL251 View Post
Go to Spartanburg and buy stuff to avoid the taxes, but please don't spend more than $2.30 in extra gas to get to the stores.
Taking into account the wear and tear on your car, it works out to a minimum of $0.50 / mile. So don't drive more than 2 1/2 miles to get to Spartanburg shopping per week or you will have blown past more than the tax money on a round trip to Spartanbug.

Most people mentally discount vehicle operating expenses because it's just sitting in the driveway ready to go. One can make a trip and return but not have to insert any bills or swipe a credit card, but car expenses still have to be paid over the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area