Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 12:42 PM

11 posts, read 150,906 times

Advertisements

We're comin up from Charleston and we'll have a few days in your fair city but where to get really good food? We're not looking for National chains cause we are gastronaughts so we'd like your "local" recomendations. You know, the places where you get really good food at fair prices. And you wonder what style? Italian, Thai, German, French, or typical upstate cuisine.
Now, we're counting on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 05:29 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Once you visit downtown, you'll see that there are more dining options available in any variety of ethnicities than you'll have time to comprehend. Most of these are not National chains so you should easily find what you are looking for downtown.

Now for a few restaurants I would recommend (it is very hard to pick just a few from such a fine selection downtown)...

Italian:Thai:German:French:
  • Paris Cafe & Bakery - 116 N. Main Street
Misc. International:Great Southern Cuisine:
You may want to check when these places are open. Some of them don't open on Sundays for some reason.

Edit: I had to add another restaurant to the list. Seriously, there are so many I would love to recommend, but you'll just have to look around and take your pick. With over 80 restaurants in downtown alone (and several new ones opening soon), it is easy to understand why the dining decisions are so hard. I have said this before, but I'll add it here; "A walk up and down Greenville's Main Street is a culinary trip around the World." And while this is true, there are plenty of great options outside downtown as well.

Last edited by Skyliner; 04-20-2007 at 06:38 PM..

Old 04-20-2007, 08:08 PM

20 posts, read 100,780 times
Default Yes, many options downtown

I would also try High Cotton. It's new, located along the river with great views. Not sure what their pricing is like. But I've heard good things so far about them.
There's also the "Artisphere" going this weekend. Great artists and good music. This will be a good weekend to visit.
Enjoy!

Old 04-20-2007, 08:43 PM

Since you mentioned High Cotton (http://www.mavericksouthernkitchens.com/highcotton_gv/index.html - broken link), there are a few different Charleston-based restauranteurs planning new additions to downtown Greenville as well. Our High Cotton Maverick Bar & Grill is very upscale in appearance and atmosphere with three levels of dining and superb views of the Reedy River and Main Street. Definitely one of the best new restaurant experiences in Greenville. Another developer has disclosed plans for a new "Boathouse at the Falls," which will go into part of an old cotton warehouse next to the Reedy River just above the falls.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Since you mentioned High Cotton (http://www.mavericksouthernkitchens.com/highcotton_gv/index.html - broken link), there are a few different Charleston-based restauranteurs planning new additions to downtown Greenville as well. Our High Cotton Maverick Bar & Grill is very upscale in appearance and atmosphere with three levels of dining and superb views of the Reedy River and Main Street. Definitely one of the best new restaurant experiences in Greenville. Another developer has disclosed plans for a new "Boathouse at the Falls," which will go into part of an old cotton warehouse next to the Reedy River just above the falls.
Something is going on with that post. Please exuse me as I attempt to figure out exactly what.

Edit: Fixed! Yeah!

Old 04-20-2007, 09:05 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
Lemongrass is a trendy, overpriced downtown eatery. Want real authentic thai food and a real authentic price? Thai Restaurant on Augusta Road. Yes that is the name. I guess they figured, "hey, we're thai, we're opening a thai restaurant, let's call it Thai Restaurant". Kate, a chemical engineering student at Clemson from Thailand is a sweet waitress with a constant smile.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:16 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
I'm flabbergasted that someone actually said they like Moes in the other thread!

anyhoo to balance out my bad restaurant list, too which I will be adding to unfortunately, I wanted to counter it with 2 good places that we've eaten at recently.

1) High Cotton is outstanding, food was fantastic, cooked exactly how we ordered it, side dishes were awesome and the deserts were to die for. The waiter and buss boy were so attentive filling our water glasses. The prices were very reasonable as well; my wife, my dad and myself total $99. We only drank water and didn't get apps but we did have 2 deserts and coffee. Well worth it.

2) Prior to moving here from Los Angeles, I'm originally from NJ. During my 8+ years in SoCal I had a devil of a time trying to find a real "east coast" pizza, thin crispy crust that you can fold, real cheese and fresh toppings with great suace. After having Frodos and Bellicinos I was afraid that the same fate had befallen me here in the Upstate. Lo and behold about 3 weeks ago we met a couple from Philly in Rooms to Go and we both discussed our culinary dilemmas. They recommended a pizza place on Haywood called Tony's. Well my dad's been in town visiting for a week and we went there the other night. I can uniquivocally say that it was one of the best pizzas that I've had in a long, long time and rivals anything found above the Mason Dixon line. we ordered the 20' pepperoni Lovers and oh my goodness.... my mouth is
watering as I type this, the crust was thin, crispy and foldable tasted so good not like cardboard,The cheese was top quality and the sauce was delicious. We will be regulars and recommend that everyone try it.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:45 PM

63 posts, read 431,680 times
Default Don't forget

Kan Pai Steakhouse! Great Sushi.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:56 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Mumbles View Post
Kan Pai Steakhouse! Great Sushi.
any chance they are hiring, upstate NY sushi chef here, looking for a job as I move to the greenville area in july

Old 05-06-2007, 07:08 AM

286 posts, read 1,478,001 times
I'm going to have to disagree with Sonrise about Lemongrass. I love it!

I'm very sensative to trendy overpriced restaurants, and Lemongrass doesn't feel that way at all to me.

Try the "Seafood Clay Pot".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area