Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:32 AM

440 posts, read 776,648 times

Advertisements

So basically, Greenville is a tiny town that surrounded by a giant suburb and you have to travel to Knoxville or Asheville or Georgia to find any decent whitewater rivers? but hey, its got one heck of a pretty town?

is that about right? sounds like all Greenville has got going for it is one really nice sq mile of town area.

I know from reading all the glowing reviews or Greenville there has to more then just that right?

Anyone have pictures or Greenville burbs? or can tell me what I'm obviously missing please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 07:39 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
So basically, Greenville is a tiny town that surrounded by a giant suburb and you have to travel to Knoxville or Asheville or Georgia to find any decent whitewater rivers? but hey, its got one heck of a pretty town?

is that about right? sounds like all Greenville has got going for it is one really nice sq mile of town area.

I know from reading all the glowing reviews or Greenville there has to more then just that right?

Anyone have pictures or Greenville burbs? or can tell me what I'm obviously missing please?
G'ville has the whole gamut of suburbs and suburban development - if that's what you like. At least the city and county both have tree ordnances for new development now, and they're beginning to bury power lines in the area. I also see more adaptive re-use of older buildings here than in any other area of the South that I've lived in. I think the gist of what you've been reading is from people who believe that Greenville deserves better (we're working on it!), but is still a great place to live.

Last edited by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex; 10-06-2009 at 07:48 AM..

Old 10-06-2009, 07:53 AM

440 posts, read 776,648 times
What I see from a geographical standpoint is a 3 cites near each other.
Knoxville is surrounded by rivers and lakes and roiling hills. town not to pretty.
Asheville is a city in the mountains plus rivers and lakes + a beautiful city. to expensive.
Greenville no lakes or rivers to speak of, and is kinda flat but has a small but beautiful town.
take that sq mile away from Greenville and what do you have left?

if the burb wasn't so huge compared to the city that would be different.
Then the city would be your home town where ya eat and shopped.
But to me its like my visit to Orlando. Went there to see disneyworld but didn't look twice at the towns surrounding the main attraction.

Again i need to point out I HAVE NEVER been to any of these places. only info I have is from research.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:59 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
You don't have to drive to Knoxville or Asheville for whitewater. The Chattooga River (http://www.chattooga-river.net/ - broken link) is on the South Carolina/Georgia border. The Nantahala River is a well-known destination in western North Carolina.

I recommend reading/searching some of the threads in this forum for more information and definitely visit before prejudging without experience. There are lots of good things going for Greenville, depending on what you are looking for. If you don't find what you want, try Chattanooga or Asheville. They may have something a little different, but you should visit them as well before making any serious decision.

Greenville is NOT a "tiny town", unless you are comparing it to NYC. The city's actual population of approximately 70,000 is deceiving until you realize the daytime population in the city is approximately 200,000 (not counting the population outside the limits).

One thing you may be missing is the fact that there are several smaller towns nearby, with their own plans and growth.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:17 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
Quote:
Greenville no lakes or rivers to speak of, and is kinda flat but has a small but beautiful town.
Paris Mtn. is like 10 minutes away from the city,Table Rock St. Park is about 45 minutes away, Caesars head is probably even less than that, Keowee Toxaway St. Park isn't far either. Lake Hartwell, Lake Keowee, Lake Robinson, Lake Cunningham, Lake Lyman, Saluda Lake(ok its really small, but its considered a lake), Apalache Lake, Lake Greenwood, they are all within an hour of Greenville. Rivers I can't really think of any other than the Reedy and Saluda, but you get the picture, there are many outdoorsy things to do within a short trip of Greenville, hope this helps a little?

Quote:
wow, thats a little rude. Come and visit, if you don't like it, at least you can say you tried it

Old 10-06-2009, 10:04 AM

843 posts, read 1,431,124 times
Knoxville can't hold light to Greenville when comparing amenities(shopping grocery and such). Greenville's downtown actually feels like a downtown and not just a few large buildings plopped together. Yes Knoxville has the Tennessee River flowing through it, but this is the very start of the river so it is not as large (wide) as in say Chattanooga. There is the National Park close but it is the most visited national park in the country. traffic can be horrible in some parts but fly fishing is so much fun if you know where to go. Greenville is much closer to the ocean. Just some things to think about.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:06 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
What I see from a geographical standpoint is a 3 cites near each other.
Knoxville is surrounded by rivers and lakes and roiling hills. town not to pretty.
Asheville is a city in the mountains plus rivers and lakes + a beautiful city. to expensive.
take that sq mile away from Greenville and what do you have left?

if the burb wasn't so huge compared to the city that would be different.
Then the city would be your home town where ya eat and shopped.
But to me its like my visit to Orlando. Went there to see disneyworld but didn't look twice at the towns surrounding the main attraction.

Again i need to point out I HAVE NEVER been to any of these places. only info I have is from research.
You might also try the following if you haven't already: http://www.greenvillehd.com/; (broken link) http://www.greenvillecvb.com/; (broken link) Greenville, South Carolina Home Page

Old 10-06-2009, 12:08 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,467,794 times
Greenville looks small on paper because how how small the city limits are. It has nothing to do with how big Greenville actually feels. It's not like development and progress stop at the city limit.

Greenville County alone is well over 400,000 in population, and when you add in surrounding counties of the metro area you have sizable population base. With that said, I don't think you will need (or want) to drive to Asheville or Knoxville for anything. Asheville is okay for a weekend getaway deeper into the mountains, but as a city it does not offer the amenities Greenville does. Asheville is a significantly smaller metro, more touristy, and more expensive when it comes to real estate. Knoxville, although larger than Asheville and somewhat comparable to Greenville with regard to population, is not as clean or progressive as Greenville in my opinion. The downtown area can't hold a candle to Greenville's (but very few places can).

Old 10-06-2009, 03:36 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
Quote:

You are somewhat right.....Greenville is the center of most things and is surrounded by Simpsonville, Mauldin, Greer, Easley, Spartanburg etc. Because Greenville is the center of the upstate it is more developed, has the pretty downtown as you mentioned and as a result of the companies (Michelin & BMW) locating there it has received quite a bit of investment from outside sources and the newcomers who are taking interest and deciding to locate there. While living there I was told by several natives that most of the shopping, companies, restaurants and other business's have sprung up there within the last 10 years. This sudden development can also be attributed to it's location in the middle of Atlanta to the south and Charlotte to the north.

Has some of the growth resulted in sprawl? You bet it has. There are quite a few strip malls some of them very nice and some of them that are not so nice.

In my opinion the downtown area received the beautiful renovation but many of the other areas of Greenville were left out, thus the reason you read this forum and always see people raving about downtown Greenville's revitalization.

Greenville has a lot of good things going for it and hopefully the progress will continue.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:10 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:

What you'll find is a nice sized metro. Greenville isn't tiny, but it isn't huge. You'll hear a great deal of focus and comments on downtown, because downtown Greenville has been ranked one the best in the U.S. The focus on downtown doesn't mean other areas aren't nice, it simply means that downtown is OUTSTANDING. Beautiful, full of shops and restaurants, and full of life, it is a downtown better than most any in the U.S. of any size. Numerous cities (larger and smaller) have sent delegations to Greenville to study the success of downtown.

Don't think the attention downtown receives means it is the only nice area of the city. Most areas of Greenville and the metro are on par or better than sister cities. The Eastside is new homes and growth with many "McMansions", and while it may be suburban, it is heavily treed, and has good shopping. Same goes for the Southeast (Golden Strip) area. While new, it is "nice" new with stores like Whole Foods and upscale chain restaurants. North of downtown, you can almost immediately start the climb up Paris Mountain which has great neighborhoods, close to city center. The USPro Cycling Championship uses Paris Mountain on part of their route. Parks abound around Paris Mountain and Furman University (absolutely beautiful campus) sits in the shadow of the mountain. Slightly further north, you'll find numerous high end new developments and golf communities, along with a few wineries and numerous parks....all in the shadow of the "Blue Wall" which is the main climb into the mountains.

All in all, take the metro as a whole, and it is a cut above most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area