Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 07:21 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Cincinnati natives are north of the Ohio river but some Cincinnati natives like to call themselves Southern.
Hmppf, I lived in Louisville, KY for for 48 years and we NEVER considered Cincinnati to be Southern!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 07:29 PM

Default Better time soon, Akuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma View Post
I hate were I live but unfortunetly I'm stuck here. I live in Spartanburg which is about 20 min from Greenville. When I moved here from Katrina(Hurricane) from Biloxi, MS. My life has been in ruin ever since. My job in which I transfered here to, had so many shady people working in it I had to quit and find another employer. Found another employer then had my Identity stolen. Got my financials back on track then my wife, of 10yrs, cheats on me with another man... WTF?????

Yes I have to say I totaly regret moving to the Greenville /Spartanburg Area. Now today I have to find a new place to live, due to the fact I can't even look my "soulmate" in the eyes. Now I have to start over again. And try to learn to "trust" again, unfortunetly that wont be easy.
I'm really sorry you're having such a hard time. Sounds like lots of bad stuff at once. It does seem that there are many wonderful people in Greenville. Perhaps you can open yourself to giving them another chance. I hope things improve for you soon.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:49 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,584,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Hmppf, I lived in Louisville, KY for for 48 years and we NEVER considered Cincinnati to be Southern!!!
No comment on my part, but read this thread, a whole can of worms I promise ya! http://www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...h-midwest.html

Old 04-25-2008, 04:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,300 times
HI, I'm not sure what you like, so don't know if this area will suit you, but we love it.
We love the outdoors and there is plenty here. Sports in the area are: biking, hiking, climbing, white water, running, swimming, water skiing, kyaking, etc...Bad pollen. Lots of christians which isn't a bad thing. I've found plenty of open minded liberal friends. Most people are not in your face about it. Lots of international flavor. My husband is a realtor and we have lots of business from people moving here. We have lived in LA; Reno, NV; Atlanta, GA; Charlotte,NC; Palm Springs, CA; Washington State; Colorado; overseas and this place only lacks lots of snow in the winter for downhill and back country skiing. (that would make it perfect for my hubby). Great place for kids!
Good luck.

Last edited by SCunning; 04-25-2008 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: took out web site.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:06 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,646,674 times
It's funny that you guys and gals mentioned that "things move slower" speaking of that, I grew up in Florida and have stayed in NC many times with friends and family over the years. I moved to PA when my daughter was a year old (many moons ago). I'm embarrassed to admit it but when I went down south after having not been down for awhile, I realized how anal retentive, in a hurry and overall miserable I really was. Having that visit really set me back in my place and made me appreciate the south for what it is. I would never live anywhere else again once I'm back down there. I'm unfortunately still in PA now but we are plotting our move back down and hope to have something good happening before winter hits again. Since realizing that we need to move back to the south, we both have slowed down and enjoyed life for what it is. It's funny, when you live up here for so long, you kind of just do what everyone else does and here, things just aren't fast enough, no one is pleasant, and life is just boring most of the time (although, we keep ourselves pretty entertained and busy). Just wanted to share that thought - maybe too for the people considering moving down who have never experience life in the south. It's just a way of life down there and it's wonderful.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:19 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Everyone should read this article (http://www.greenvillemagazine.com/feature01.htm - broken link) quickly before it is updated with another story. Terri Wilfong, The City of Greenville's new police chief was very pleased with the people here, as indicated by this quote:
slur? oh well..

Of course it's not like anyone would have the opportunity to call her a Yankee. To me it's the equivalent of northerner or someone from anywhere else outside the South. She wouldn't meet somebody and hear "Yankee." after saying where she's from.

Ex. "Hi I'm John from New Hampshire."

"Yankee."

that would be weird. lol.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:11 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Guestposter, let it be. This is an article describing her first experience in town and the time since. She visited the city as a guest (not a police chief candidate) prior to being accepted for the position, so no one on the street knew who she was or where she had come from. Your mentality is part of a small and diminishing group who view all "outsiders" as invaders of your own territory. Most of the people living in this city today don't think that way and actually know how to respectfully accept differences in appearance and verbal accent for what they are.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:43 AM

991 posts, read 4,619,198 times
Does anyone have information on Special Needs children? At the HS level around Greenville?

Old 04-26-2008, 01:27 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
slur? oh well..

Of course it's not like anyone would have the opportunity to call her a Yankee. To me it's the equivalent of northerner or someone from anywhere else outside the South. She wouldn't meet somebody and hear "Yankee." after saying where she's from.

Ex. "Hi I'm John from New Hampshire."

"Yankee."

that would be weird. lol.
You are right! No Self respecting Southerner would call someone a Yankee as a slur to their face. As a friendly kidding sure!Most people know that we are always polite to strangers on the street,It's in privite that you hear nasty remarks. "If you don't have anything nice to say... Then sit here by me!!"
I think Skyliner missed your point, or did not read it well.
Good point,and welcome back, we have missed having your point of view!

Old 04-26-2008, 06:43 PM

Kentucky is a Southern State with Midwestern Values

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
No comment on my part, but read this thread, a whole can of worms I promise ya! http://www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...h-midwest.html
Good point RangerDuke08, My personal belief is best expressed by the poster below.

Originally Posted by teebird1012
It's a combination of both really. To me, Kentucky has always been a southern state with midwestern influences.

Last edited by staywarm2; 04-26-2008 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: addition of title
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area