Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 11:04 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
"And when I die
and when I'm gone
there'll be one child born in this world
to carry on."- Blood, Sweat & Tears
Actually, Laura Nyro wrote and recorded that song, although BST were the ones who made it famous. I believe she was just nineteen at the time. She had a beautiful, soaring voice. She died at only 49, of ovarian cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 11:09 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I don't like a big fuss being made over me now while I'm alive and I don't want it when I die. Some people love birthday parties thrown for them, and parties celebrating their achievements or recognizing them for various things. I don't like that. I'm a more private person and I'd rather celebrate with dinner with my husband and kids and nothing more. And the same when I die.

My husband has a very different personality and he loves to be the center of attention in life and he would want people to gather for his funeral too. So for him I will do that but I don't want that for me!

Old 04-10-2016, 01:34 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
X dies (whomever that may be), and I am the one who is expected or directed to carry out X's directions for the funeral, cremation, celebration or non-event...whatever. Why would I do anything other than what X wanted, unless it was something horrendously expensive, wasteful or illegal?

X knew what he or she wanted, why would I not keep faith with them? Seems downright treacherous and unloving to substitute my idea of what X should have wanted to satisfy me and a bunch of other people.

If the living have their own ideas about how X's life should be "celebrated" in order to please them, or whatever, let them do that after X's wishes have been carried out.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:33 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Have a little memorial gathering, if you like. Any siblings may like to arrange it with you, but you can always go ahead and do it on your own. I did something like that and it was comforting for everyone, I think.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:01 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Funerals are a strong tradition in the Christian church. But as Americans become less religious, and families smaller, more fractured and separated by distance, discarding of the traditional funeral is becoming more common. AFter all, if someone dies in a large city, with very little family and few friends, what is the point of a church funeral for a small group of mourners. This becomes more true as people get older and start to outlive their own siblings and friends. MY MIL is 96, and almost all her family is dead, in a nursing home or moved away. My guess is that her funeral will be very small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning