Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 04:23 PM

7,045 posts, read 6,298,150 times

Advertisements

My son died January 11th. He was cremated & 1/2 his ashes went to his father's family & 1/2 to mine.

My son & his ex-wife had a horrific divorce & in the end, she denied both him & me visitation with his daughter & consequently I have not seen my granddaughter since she was 5.

She recently turned 18 & reached out to me, and me to her.

My family and I will hold my son's memorial in July.

Her mother has still forbidden me knowledge of their address. But, I messaged my granddaughter with the date we were saying good-bye to her father. She expressed interest in attending the memorial but doesn't want to come alone. I don't blame her.

Her drunken mother called me asking how I would feel if she came with my granddaughter. Even though I was willing to do anything to see my granddaughter, family members (and me) said no. What she put us through, not allowing contact with my granddaughter) is inexcusable. My sister said, if my granddaughter came with a friend, she would be welcomed.

There is a very real chance that I will never get to see my granddaughter because of her mother. I am so torn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 05:31 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Too bad you didn't use it as an opportunity to negotiate.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:33 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Could she just bring your granddaughter and leave her with you. That way you both can visit in peace.

The Mom could I am sure spend time shopping etc.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:33 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
Meo, first let me say that I am so very sorry that you lost your son. That must be an unimaginable heartbreak.

Your ex daughter-in-law behaved badly, and I don't blame you for not wanting to see her. That said, you might try to think of the memorial as an opportunity to begin healing from these wounds. After all, she is the woman your son once loved and who is the mother of his child. If I were you, I would allow her to attend if she wishes to and be cordial to her.

Perhaps your former daughter-in-law is is sorry for her past behavior and wants to make amends. Perhaps not. It sounds like she definitely has some issues. But if you can bring yourself to be the better person and welcome her despite the wrong she's done, this could be the first step in making peace with her and moving forward. Also, think of your granddaughter. She has just lost one of her parents. It couldn't possibly be good for her if you and her mother remain sworn enemies.

Best wishes to you as you deal with this very difficult situation.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:42 PM

619 posts, read 575,664 times
I am very sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the pain of losing your child and not having contact with your grandchild.

At this point in her life, your granddaughter doesn't *need*her mother for keeping in contact with you, but her mother (dysfunctional as she may be) is her mother. Her father is dead. Her grandparents /cousins etc from her father's side were cut out of her life. And there is now a chance that you can see her, and you're pushing it away? If I were you I would allow your daughter in law to come. This will give you a chance to reconnect with your granddaughter! Once the relationship has been reestablished, your granddaughter will be able to be in direct contact, hopefully without mom.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:48 PM

7,045 posts, read 6,298,150 times
What all of you have said are things I have asked myself. She refuses to take responsibility for her actions, saying it was all my son's half sister that did all the damage. But, his half-sister had no decision-making power in the situation, only my son's wife as they were not divorced yet.

What she did (and I still do not know how she did it) was ban me and my family from visiting my son when he was in the burn unit at the hospital. I had to go to the highest official to get that over-ruled. Then I found out 5 years later that she'd told him he would never see his daughter if he kept in contact with me.

I have never figured out what her problem with me was until my son finally reconnected with me & told me that she was always jealous of me.

I will never understand that one. Hello, mom's & son's normally love each other. I can't say any more. It all makes me so sad.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:24 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,317,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
What all of you have said are things I have asked myself. She refuses to take responsibility for her actions, saying it was all my son's half sister that did all the damage. But, his half-sister had no decision-making power in the situation, only my son's wife as they were not divorced yet.

What she did (and I still do not know how she did it) was ban me and my family from visiting my son when he was in the burn unit at the hospital. I had to go to the highest official to get that over-ruled. Then I found out 5 years later that she'd told him he would never see his daughter if he kept in contact with me.

I have never figured out what her problem with me was until my son finally reconnected with me & told me that she was always jealous of me.

I will never understand that one. Hello, mom's & son's normally love each other. I can't say any more. It all makes me so sad.
I am so sorry for the loss of your son.

I understand your former daughter in law treated you very badly in the past and I don't blame you one bit for being angry at her, but as hard as it is you've got to get past that. I'm not saying you have to open your heart to her, or forgive her. Just be cordial while you establish a relationship with your granddaughter. Don't let your anger at the mom get in the way of beginning a relationship with your granddaughter. The door's been open for you to reconnect with her and that's what is most important. Don't let that opportunity go to waste. This may be the only time it happens.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:00 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,407,262 times
Truth be told, I don't blame the family members one bit.

Ideally, I'd definitely ask her to bring a friend, but if not, I guess have her come with her Mother (and have it be the last time you see if need be).

Either way, I'm glad that it seems you're going to re-connect with your granddaughter after all these years

Old 06-10-2016, 11:15 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
My son died January 11th. He was cremated & 1/2 his ashes went to his father's family & 1/2 to mine.

My son & his ex-wife had a horrific divorce & in the end, she denied both him & me visitation with his daughter & consequently I have not seen my granddaughter since she was 5.

She recently turned 18 & reached out to me, and me to her.

My family and I will hold my son's memorial in July.

Her mother has still forbidden me knowledge of their address. But, I messaged my granddaughter with the date we were saying good-bye to her father. She expressed interest in attending the memorial but doesn't want to come alone. I don't blame her.

Her drunken mother called me asking how I would feel if she came with my granddaughter. Even though I was willing to do anything to see my granddaughter, family members (and me) said no. What she put us through, not allowing contact with my granddaughter) is inexcusable. My sister said, if my granddaughter came with a friend, she would be welcomed.

There is a very real chance that I will never get to see my granddaughter because of her mother. I am so torn.
Seems this time it is your doing, as the mother did reach out. People can change a lot in 13 years. I would do it, at least for the granddaughter.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:01 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
If your granddaughter is 18 she is old enough to see you on her own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning