Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 07:20 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,885 times

Advertisements

Can't you see that you're doing the same thing? You're making this outrage all about you. It's Facebook, who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 07:49 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
This isn't bad. People want to express their grief and want others to know about for their comfort.

The most disgusting thing a Facebook user has done was film a horrific aftermath of a car accident, where he showed a disfigured dead woman and a decapitated man, and upload it on Facebook, tagging his friends.

This is unforgivable. I reported the video. I hope people like that are questioned.
I reported someone for having as their profile picture a man who had his head cracked open and blood & brain matter was all over and FB said it didn't violate their terms. WTF? How bad does something have to be to violate their terms?

There is a comedian whose full name I can't remember right now. The last name is something like Jurisiak. He had a whole show called "My Thoughts And Prayers Are With You" and it was basically talking about the same thing the OP was talking about. A horrible tragedy happens, either personal or world wide and the first thing some people do is get on FB and post "How horrible that 100 people died in that bombing in anywhere, USA, my thoughts and prayers are with them". How many people actually do that to bring attention to themselves?

Also some people seem to forget FB is NOT your diary.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:59 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I reported someone for having as their profile picture a man who had his head cracked open and blood & brain matter was all over and FB said it didn't violate their terms. WTF? How bad does something have to be to violate their terms?

There is a comedian whose full name I can't remember right now. The last name is something like Jurisiak. He had a whole show called "My Thoughts And Prayers Are With You" and it was basically talking about the same thing the OP was talking about. A horrible tragedy happens, either personal or world wide and the first thing some people do is get on FB and post "How horrible that 100 people died in that bombing in anywhere, USA, my thoughts and prayers are with them". How many people actually do that to bring attention to themselves?

Also some people seem to forget FB is NOT your diary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqhcVgsUkmg

Old 02-07-2017, 08:44 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
People react in different ways. When people I know have died, I've posted about it on Facebook, as well as sending condolences to the wall of the deceased.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:52 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
A horrible tragedy happens, either personal or world wide and the first thing some people do is get on FB and post "How horrible that 100 people died in that bombing in anywhere, USA, my thoughts and prayers are with them". How many people actually do that to bring attention to themselves?
I do this, and it certainly isn't meant to bring attention to myself; it's my way of saying how sorry I am that this happened, that I have empathy with the survivors.

If some of you can't understand that, that's on you, not us.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:55 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
It's ridiculous to you and that's fine, everyone has a right to grieve how they want. When I was a kid and someone passed away our mom used to say we couldn't watch TV. Eventually she rescinded that rule. I think it's just old school where you are not supposed to be entertained while you mourn. I personally would be ashamed if a friend passed and I start posting nonsense of where I was and what I did that day on in the following days. I saw other friends one who was also a good friend with the person who passed post about helping a friend move and about the Superbowl. If it were me and I wanted to let people know I moved I would wait a week or two to post it. Facebook is mostly drivel unless it's something important like condolences for someone passing. I don't need to know you were upset because you were stuck on a train because someone was hit on the tracks and got home late.
What I said was ridiculous was your original statement that other people were supposed to follow the rule you described. So yes, everyone has a right to grieve the way they want, and if not talking about anything besides the loss is what you want to do, then do it. My point was just because that's your choice doesn't make other people wrong for making a different choice.

And no, Facebook is not meant for "something important like condolences for someone passing" just because you say so. As a matter of opinion, I think that's probably one of the least appropriate uses of Facebook, although I have accepted that as a reality, it is now what is done.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:04 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
What I said was ridiculous was your original statement that other people were supposed to follow the rule you described. So yes, everyone has a right to grieve the way they want, and if not talking about anything besides the loss is what you want to do, then do it. My point was just because that's your choice doesn't make other people wrong for making a different choice.

And no, Facebook is not meant for "something important like condolences for someone passing" just because you say so. As a matter of opinion, I think that's probably one of the least appropriate uses of Facebook, although I have accepted that as a reality, it is now what is done.
You are not one to determine and define what Facebook is for. You are making this all about you.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:16 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
You are not one to determine and define what Facebook is for. You are making this all about you.
Pot, meet Kettle.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:28 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
People grieve differently. Sometimes the death of an acquaintance can have a profound effect on someone. A coworker I seldom worked with at my part-time job, but who had been extraordinarily kind to me passed away very young after a sudden illness. He left behind a wife he was madly in love with and twin children who were his world. I barely knew the guy beyond our random shared shifts over the course of a few months, and his death affected me greatly. It's been 15 years and I've long since moved away, and I still think about him and wonder how his kids turned out and if his wife was ever able to move on after having been so loved and if they were able to have the life he wanted for them. He was just an incredibly good person.

The original post is more a reflection of the OP's rigidity and lack of imagination than any sign of a flaw in society or a problem with facebook.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:46 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Nope, just saying that you can follow your own rules, but everyone else can do the same thing and follow their own rules. You don't get to dictate the rules for everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning