Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2007, 09:52 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,299 times

Advertisements

Hey Magnum Mike, I'm not laughing at your bench!! Looks good to me. I'm not good with wood either lol!

I have an old Rockchucker too. It works great for me. I don't shoot all that much so the single stage never bothered me. I load for 30-06,7.62X39MM,9MM,.357 Mag,.50 DE,35Rem.and 303 British. I find it relaxing and taking game with your own loads is very rewarding.

I've got a Remington 7600 30-06,SKS,Savage 110 30-06,two Ruger 10/22's,two Mossburg500's,Glock32 357 SIG,S&W 336 9MM,Ruger Security Six .357 Mag.,Desert Eagle .50,Ruger MKII .22 and a Raven .25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 10:08 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
With my Dillon RL 550 B I've had consistent charge weights. It got to the point that I only checked it periodically, just to be sure nothing changed. So far, so good. As for case lengths, and things of that sort, I am just reloading plinking ammo, so it hasn't been any sort of a problem. I've checked several cases after they've been sized, and there were slight differences (usually due to variations in brass manufacturer). All of the cases were still within specification.

If I was going to add anything to my reloading gear, I think the Rock Chucker press would be near the top of the list. As stated, cases can be deprimed and sized before going into the Dillon when loading precision ammo.

I got to thinking about the background check problem mentioned above. In California, with all the waiting periods and such, it would certainly be troublesome for someone to be denied. I have never had that happen, and don't know of anyone else who has, either. I don't know how that matter would be resolved, or how long it would take, should it occur. Well, since they have so long to run the check, hopefully they get it right the first time, so those problems don't occur.
Do you get the Dillon Precision brochure the mail out every month? I was looking at the one I got in the mail yesterday... and.. no I wasn't looking at the sexy models they use in them either, I was looking at their products, and both the Dillon 550 and 650 reloading systems are good to have, but I also found many accessories that are listed with them. I think they do offer the entire system also.

And BTW, they do offer calendar with those sexy models too, who can easily qualify to be Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I got to thinking about the background check problem mentioned above. In California, with all the waiting periods and such, it would certainly be troublesome for someone to be denied. I have never had that happen, and don't know of anyone else who has, either. I don't know how that matter would be resolved, or how long it would take, should it occur. Well, since they have so long to run the check, hopefully they get it right the first time, so those problems don't occur.
With the technology that's available today, the background check system can be definitely be improved. Before I say anything, the majority of criminals don't buy guns from legitimate dealers, they'll do everything to bypass the background check, afterall, that's why we call them criminals. The one sure way to eliminate the risk of any criminal buying a gun legally is to use fingerprints. When somebody wants to buy a firearm, a device can scan the hand and finger prints of the person and run it against a central database that contains this information for individuals that have a history of criminal behavior or mental instability. The chances of two individuals having the exact hand and fingerprint patterns are virtually non-existent. They are about as unique as your own DNA.

But like I said, no matter how advanced the background check system is, criminals will find ways to get around it. Law enforcement agencies need to address the problem with black market dealers, which is really where the problem is.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Hey Magnum Mike, I'm not laughing at your bench!! Looks good to me. I'm not good with wood either lol!

I have an old Rockchucker too. It works great for me. I don't shoot all that much so the single stage never bothered me. I load for 30-06,7.62X39MM,9MM,.357 Mag,.50 DE,35Rem.and 303 British. I find it relaxing and taking game with your own loads is very rewarding.

I've got a Remington 7600 30-06,SKS,Savage 110 30-06,two Ruger 10/22's,two Mossburg500's,Glock32 357 SIG,S&W 336 9MM,Ruger Security Six .357 Mag.,Desert Eagle .50,Ruger MKII .22 and a Raven .25.
Thanks Jeep I know it's not exactly the kind of masterpiece you can put up in those fancy auctions, where people often bid millions on items!

Nice guns by the way!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:54 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:

Which bullet do you use for the british 303? i use the Hornady 174 grain rn, so far it's been the best I've used.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:27 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Which bullet do you use for the british 303? i use the Hornady 174 grain rn, so far it's been the best I've used.
I use the same bullet! I like Hornady's in my 30-06 too.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I use the same bullet! I like Hornady's in my 30-06 too.
I use Hornady XTP for my handguns, A-MAX and V-MAX bullets in the rifles, except the .280 Remington, I use Nosler Ballistic tips in it.

I used Nosler in the past but I hated it when they stopped selling their bullets in boxes of 100. I believe most of their rifle calibers are sold in boxes of 50 bullets per box now, which is beyond me because it costs about the same or more per box, than to pack 100 bullets per box.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:48 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Broke out the pistol last night. My neighbor Jason was out. He's served two tours in Iraq and I have the greatest respect for him. But he can't shoot worth a hoot. Broke out the pistol and rolled bottle caps at 30 feet. He was lucky to hit his house at 30 feet.

Yeah, I live in an area that we shoot when we want. Keep the kids indoors. hahaha

Old 10-12-2007, 09:01 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,159,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Broke out the pistol last night. My neighbor Jason was out. He's served two tours in Iraq and I have the greatest respect for him. But he can't shoot worth a hoot. Broke out the pistol and rolled bottle caps at 30 feet. He was lucky to hit his house at 30 feet.

Yeah, I live in an area that we shoot when we want. Keep the kids indoors. hahaha
I did some target on a watermelon that has been sitting around my kitchen for months ! LOL
I am an amature, just learning.
I hit the melon each time. Not bad.
I also live in an area where we have free will to shoot. I also back up to a preserve. I have 2 acres of nothing but dense trees. Thats the direction I shoot.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
I did some target on a watermelon that has been sitting around my kitchen for months ! LOL
A buddy of mine did that one time with his 7mm magnum rifle. Shot a watermelon and there was a spectacular explosion! He also shot one of those 5 gallon water jugs with the same rifle, and again, it was spectacular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby
I also live in an area where we have free will to shoot. I also back up to a preserve. I have 2 acres of nothing but dense trees. Thats the direction I shoot.
Hmmm.. I'm not sure if there's a possibility of somebody being in that preserve while you're shooting, a stray .38 cal bullet at 500 yards can hurt somebody. It's best to have a dirt berm behind the target you're shooting at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting