Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2007, 03:33 PM

133 posts, read 750,582 times

Advertisements

I have a Ruger P94 (9mm) and a Mossberg 500 Riot gun. We go to the range now and then to shoot targets at lunch (indoor range very close to the office).

I'd love to have an AR15 type of gun but living in California makes it very hard- and I don't want to go through the steps to piece one together with off-list lowers etc. The Bushmaster Carbon 15 is nice (and legal... for now) but I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger (pun intended ) and buy one. Not to mention, .223 ammo is $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 04:51 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Some nice rifles in here for sure. Some look pretty expensive. Priceless, I guess you could say.

I have some standard stuff just to get around.

A few Chrismases ago, my wife bought me an 870 Remington 12 gauge. Then year before last she got me a Win Springfield 30-06. Then just this year I purchased Callahan at a gun show in Lamar Colorado;

So just the basics for now!

Old 11-20-2007, 04:52 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I agree, when was the last time you heard of a career criminal complying to the law and waiting 10 days to pick up a firearm he bought from a legitimate gun dealer?

Absolutely senseless! But, that's California politicians for ya.
Unfortunately, that's the law here in California. I guess I will just have to play the waiting game like I have for everything else I've bought in the last several years. The worst time was when I bought a pair of Ruger Vaqueros with sequential serial numbers. I had to buy one, wait ten days to pick it up, then wait another twenty days to buy the other one. This is craziness here in California, but at least I can still buy guns here (just not all of them that I want), for the time being.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Some nice rifles in here for sure. Some look pretty expensive. Priceless, I guess you could say.

I have some standard stuff just to get around.

A few Chrismases ago, my wife bought me an 870 Remington 12 gauge. Then year before last she got me a Win Springfield 30-06. Then just this year I purchased Callahan at a gun show in Lamar Colorado;

So just the basics for now!
Other than the adjustable sights, that looks just like my Vaqueros.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:06 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,095 times
I'm kinda waiting to leave Cali first, although it won't be for a few years due to school. But I am looking to get a Springfield Armory XD.40.
It feels real nice in my hand, possibly a Glock 23, but I like the SAXD a bit better.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:06 PM

Default What I'm waiting for...

These are the ones that I'm waiting for at the moment. I've wanted them for a while, and can now make it happen. I am looking forward to getting to shoot them. Less than a week until I can pick them up.

Any Gun Enthusiasts Here?-xd45.jpg

Any Gun Enthusiasts Here?-m1a-scout.jpg

Old 11-20-2007, 05:21 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,095 times
Bee-yew-tah-full

Old 11-20-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
I'm kinda waiting to leave Cali first, although it won't be for a few years due to school. But I am looking to get a Springfield Armory XD.40.
It feels real nice in my hand, possibly a Glock 23, but I like the SAXD a bit better.
I bought a Glock 23 years ago, when Glocks were still fairly new. It's a great gun and I love to shoot it, but I also wanted something similar in 45 ACP, so I ordered the SA XD45 (in Dark Earth color), because I also like the way it feels in my hand, as well as how it looks. I can hardly wait until I pick it up after Thanksgiving.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:14 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Question: what is the appeal of, say, an AK47 vs. an AR15?

Someone told me the AK's can take a lot of abuse and still keep firing.

I do not own any firearms (my choice) although I have no problem with otherwise law abiding people keeping 'em around 'just in case'.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:08 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Question: what is the appeal of, say, an AK47 vs. an AR15?

Someone told me the AK's can take a lot of abuse and still keep firing.

I do not own any firearms (my choice) although I have no problem with otherwise law abiding people keeping 'em around 'just in case'.
Well I recently purchased an SK which fires the same round as the AK (7.62X39mm) and is also quite reliable. From what I have been told and the one I have fired, the AK is very simple, the machining tolerance is a tad on the loose side. This adds up to a rifle that will fire when many won't and the ammo is still pretty cheap compared to other rounds. The downside I would imagine is that it is not as accurate as an AR-15.

For myself, the rifle is purely for self/home defense in which case I would not need much range, only the ability to throw up a wall of lead. So between that and the inexpensive rounds, I chose cheap as it isn't something I plan on using much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting