Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 08:11 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
I wish I could be a gun enthusiast, but I live in California.
I am and I live in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 08:05 PM

68 posts, read 363,503 times
yeah with limited choices...feel for ya..Cali's guns laws are terrible

Old 01-08-2008, 11:29 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I am and I live in CA.
I'm a gun enthusiast, and I live here, too. Other than the so-called "assault weapons" and "Saturday Night Specials," I can still get pretty much any type of firearm here. That may have changed somewhat with the new laws that went into effect on the first of the year, though. I have several semi-auto rifles and handguns that I purchased here, many even after the major gun ban legislation went into effect. Although I think this state has gone way overboard with the anti-gun agenda, I am thankful that at least we can still get guns here. Ammunition looks like it might become a different matter, though.

California officials have recently decided that hunters in a large portion of California may not use, possess, or carry lead ammunition while hunting if they also have a firearm in their possession capable of firing that ammunition. The affected portion of California is the area that has been defined as being the range of the California Condor. This area stretches in a "V" pattern from approximately Monterey down to Orange County, and back up into the Southern Sierra. If any hunter is caught violating this policy, they will be subject to fines up to $1000, and will probably risk losing their firearms and hunting privileges, and be charged with a misdemeanor violation.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:40 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,046,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I am and I live in CA.
Well, can you show me the way to somebody who'll sell me a Barrett .50?

Old 01-09-2008, 08:05 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
I do agree the gun bans are stupid and i think you should be able to buy what you want. most of my shooting and hunting isn't affected because all my rifles except for a ranch rifle and 1022 are bolt action and my shooting is mostly long range target and varmit. our biggest problem here is finding a place to shoot other than a range, the BLM land is all being leased out to ranchers and unless your friends with someone varmit shooting is a bust. It's a shame everythings fenced off but not a cow in sight. now ya'll went and done it, I'm mad at california.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:27 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
What else should we expect from California politicians? It won't be too long before groups in other states start pushing for stupid laws like California's.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:37 PM

24,458 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Mike,
Have you or any other gun enthusiasts been here?

MG Shooters LLC - The Big Sandy Shoot

Old 01-09-2008, 08:14 PM

68 posts, read 363,503 times
never been...Have our own machine gun shoot here!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:36 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
Well, can you show me the way to somebody who'll sell me a Barrett .50?
Well, you are probably aware that Arnold signed legislation banning the sale of .50 caliber guns and ammo in California, obviously including the Barrett .50. I guess you'll have to settle for the Barrett .499. I've heard of such a beast, but haven't seen anything on their website about it. Either what I saw was a gag, and they aren't making any such thing, or it's their answer to the .50 caliber ban in California.

Not very long ago, Barrett had a policy of not providing return shipping on .50 caliber guns sent to them from California. This included guns from law enforcement agencies. I have heard that LAPD sent a rifle to them for repair work, and Barrett wouldn't ship it back, because they didn't want to violate the gun ban. They told LAPD that they could come and pick up their rifle in Tennessee. I'm not sure if this is true, but I found it entertaining, at least.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:18 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Mike,
Have you or any other gun enthusiasts been here?

MG Shooters LLC - The Big Sandy Shoot
I've heard of it but I've never gone there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting