Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 02:14 AM

169 posts, read 160,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I want the biggest caliber round with the highest capacity magazine rifle I can get for the defense of my home. in high stress situations it is easier to aim and shoot a rifle than it is a pistol.
I heard that man. Come on guys...you got ten bangers waiting outside for ya. Are you grabbing that 9mm or .45 ACP? Really?? No Sir, not me! Give me my M1A or AK or ARs or one of the 12 Gauges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 08:03 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I really don't care...

I've put enough .308 rounds through hulls and superstructures know that it is a pretty silly round for home defense much less to be considered the ultimate home defense round.
I'd agree about the home defense opinion in most cases. But if bullets exiting arent a problem then its as good as anything else I'd think.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:06 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf4ever View Post
I heard that man. Come on guys...you got ten bangers waiting outside for ya. Are you grabbing that 9mm or .45 ACP? Really?? No Sir, not me! Give me my M1A or AK or ARs or one of the 12 Gauges.
Your idea of home defense is way different than mine. I guess if I had to fight a gang off then the normal concerns wouldnt much matter. I'm thinking its much more likely to have to shoot a single or pair of people inside my home. Its going to be hard to say it was self defense if I'm popping bad guys across the street with a scoped rifle.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:45 PM

66 posts, read 69,480 times
Drive by gang shootings could warrant such a case. So could a car load full of trouble. Who made the rule that it's always going to be just one suspect? I never heard that one before. They make their own rules. They don't even follow the law.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:58 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Your idea of home defense is way different than mine. I guess if I had to fight a gang off then the normal concerns wouldnt much matter. I'm thinking its much more likely to have to shoot a single or pair of people inside my home. Its going to be hard to say it was self defense if I'm popping bad guys across the street with a scoped rifle.

I dont care if it is 10 guys trying to break into my home, or 1 guy doing the same. I will get my PTR91 with a 20 round magazine full of 7.62x51 and use that. better than a Glock 21 with 14 rounds, plus it is easier to use in a high stress situation.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:50 PM

66 posts, read 69,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I dont care if it is 10 guys trying to break into my home, or 1 guy doing the same. I will get my PTR91 with a 20 round magazine full of 7.62x51 and use that. better than a Glock 21 with 14 rounds, plus it is easier to use in a high stress situation.
Right, because if you have a rifle or shotgun within arms reach, only a fool grabs for the hand heater!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:39 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,433 times
My simple 870 Remington with .00 buck will do the trick.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:22 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The bullpup configuration does not offer anything my AR platforms cannot already do.

Kel-Tec is not at the top of my "go to" companies in terms of reliability or customer service.

I'll admit the shottie has me intrigued but I'd like to see one operate in person x 500-1000 rounds in a weekend before I'd lay any money out for one. Frankly, I'm probably not strong enough to hold 15 rounds of 12 ga. in the magazines and hold the gun up on target the entire time. It would be more productive and realistic for me just to keep feeding rounds into an 870 while on the move.
Although, the bullpup does offer a firing chamber right next to your face.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:00 AM

142 posts, read 164,692 times
MG a 308 is not a home defense gun and a bulpup is not for everyone. A shot gun with bird shot is devastating to an intruder but also will loose energy after it hits drywall. A 308 will go through several walls and the neighbors wall unless its block and stucco. Its a very bad choice for home defense.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:55 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Everybody lives in a different structure and have much different circumstances.

I would think that the norm is a stick home, 5/8 sheetrock, normal siding and as such, a .308 is overkill. I remember the statement of "Remember, you own the bullet until it stops" and fully understand that.

If a person, like me, lived in a log cabin on several acres, maybe a .308 is not so outrageous. It's not what I would use, personally, but I could understand somebody else using it. When I lived on the farm and had 640 acres to worry about along with a yard with a couple hundred thousand dollars in equipment parked around the different outbuildings, I migh have been called on protecting things out to a couple hundred yards. The one time I was called on to defend, was against an intruder and my 1894 12 gauge was all I needed. With it, I alternated slug, 00 buck, slug, 00 buck.

In the end, I could see a .308 as defense of ones property, but could not see it as "Home" defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting