Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:00 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,199,385 times

Advertisements

Considering that I have my CCW already, and that I've bought a few guns and had to fill out a Form 4473, I'm sure that if someone really wanted to come poking around they've already got my name and stuff. My attitude about this comes from that- My name is probably already listed or something somewhere (Even though technically it shouldn't be) and if there is a gun grab, I'll probably be questioned.

Doesn't mean I'll have anything for them to find, though. Besides, isn't the ATF still pretty busy with the Fast & Furious thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 06:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
the disturbing thing about CCW people is they dont see the difference between authorization to carry and authorization to use.
they read the penal code and the really think that what it says is what happens in a court of law.
go down to the courthouse and hang out and see what happens to people that use a gun for any reason esp if they own property.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
What better way to have a "roster" of all the people who have guns than to use the documentation that is on file for concealed carry permits?
Oh, for christ sake, as if 4473's wouldn't be enough, if you are the sort to entertain such overwrought and unwarranted paranoia considering the that only four years ago the Courts ruling in the District of Columbia v Heller would have put such paranoia to rest. But I suppose the NRA needs some sort of boogie man to keep the money rolling in.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:38 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Get your Missouri and Utah (gets you Wisconsin) permits and be happy. If a SHTF scenario actually were to happen, odds are you wouldn't be hanging out at home, waiting for people to show up anyway.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the disturbing thing about CCW people is they dont see the difference between authorization to carry and authorization to use.
they read the penal code and the really think that what it says is what happens in a court of law.
go down to the courthouse and hang out and see what happens to people that use a gun for any reason esp if they own property.
This doesn't describe any CCW holders I know personally. In fact, most reputable CCW instructors will tell their students just how serious it is to brandish or have to pull the trigger in a self-defense scenario. One attorney in my state who is greatly credited with helping write our CCW laws is very fond of the illustration: fill a 55 gal. drum with $100 bills and that is a start on the possible financial impact on a CCW holder's life should he find himself/herself in the position of having used lethal force in self-defense.

Hint: The politics forum is the best place to post sweeping generalizations, not here.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:57 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,199,385 times
Quote:
Concealed carry permits allow one to carry a handgun on one's person, concealed, while out in public places. There is no "authorization to use". In a great majority of states, if one feels one's own life or the lives of others are threatened, the use of deadly force (not equivalent force) is allowed.

Therefore, you are "authorized" to carry with a CHL and "authorized" to respond with lethal force via state laws if you feel your life, the lives of your family members, or (usually) the life of another unrelated person is (are) in danger.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:08 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Spoken (written?) by someone who has obviously NEVER taken a CCW course themselves.

All the state mandated CCW courses I've taken (I hold permits in NV, UT and FL) have primarily focused on the legal aspect of carrying. That's an entire day in a classroom, talking almost exclusively about the laws surrounding exercising the right to bear arms, and what you can expect from a legal standpoint should you ever be forced to draw and/or use your weapon.

To say that CCW permit holders think they're somehow allowed to murder at will is just plain stupid. Sorry, Huck, but you are SO FREAKING WRONG on this, it's extraordinarily apparent that you have no clue whatsoever WTF you're talking about.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:32 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Stupidity of the law, does not negate you from learning. Just because you have a CCW, you still have boundries.

I agree with you, people are stupid sometimes, you have to wonder how people get CCW somtimes.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:36 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh, for christ sake, as if 4473's wouldn't be enough, if you are the sort to entertain such overwrought and unwarranted paranoia considering the that only four years ago the Courts ruling in the District of Columbia v Heller would have put such paranoia to rest. But I suppose the NRA needs some sort of boogie man to keep the money rolling in.
You did read where he said he bought 1 gun from a store 25 + years ago right?

And where was the NRA brought up? Your stretching to start an argument here.....

Old 07-11-2012, 06:20 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You don't live in California.

Also since you claim to be an attorney how about you be more helpful in this particular forum and save the BS for P&C.

OP I wouldn't worry about it much.

But I understand your feelings especially with the amount of governement intrusion in our lives.

Get the CCW like MOgal advised.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 07-11-2012 at 06:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting