Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 12:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
...just point out the irony. He started the post in the city forums and many there were saying "get a gun and blow them away" (in so many words)....and here we are, the ones labeled as zeolous gun nuts by others, being responsible and saying "wait, think gun laws, safety, and moral responsiblities before you own and use a firearm".
That's as it should be of course, but funny how it plays against stereotypes.
Excellent observation.

Warren, if you are not familiar with weapons please, please take the NRA course. (MOGal posted the link. She also had posts your should read twice.) You're upset right now and that's understandable. But running out and purchasing a weapon you are not familiar with isn't the answer right now. And the LAST thing you want to do, IMHO, is let these guys know you have a gun.

The moment you and your family leave your house to go somewhere.... the neighbors know where to look for one. Think about that.

And if you do buy one take Sheena and your kids to the NRA course. They need to know what a gun is capable of. Everyone needs to know the repercussions of taking out a weapon. Everyone needs to know gun safety. And also think about where you are going to store the ammo. And what might happen if you keep the gun loaded and something happens and in a moment of passion you grab that gun.

Personally, if things are that bad and looking to stay that way, I'd move. What's more important? The safety of your family or your investment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 12:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
...just point out the irony. He started the post in the city forums and many there were saying "get a gun and blow them away" (in so many words)....and here we are, the ones labeled as zeolous gun nuts by others, being responsible and saying "wait, think gun laws, safety, and moral responsiblities before you own and use a firearm".
That's as it should be of course, but funny how it plays against stereotypes.
The link to the OP's wife's thread helped give perspective. This is a family who moved to a neighborhood which is in decline. Nothing they can personally do will fix that.

I accept that those who label sheepdogs as "zealous gun-nuts" are only projecting their own insecurities and fears. Sheep hate and fear the sheepdog because they would rather graze quietly than to be aware of the evil that lurks in the shadows waiting to strike.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:36 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I'm sorry you have forced into a situation that is threatening to you and your family.

Without knowing exactly what transpired, what was said, how far they advanced, it is very difficult to give a definitive answer on what to do. There has been a lot of very good information and recommendations, but let me tell you, a gun is the "Last" resort.

You should know your rights and responsibilities. Don't just listen to what cops or anybody else tells you, hike your but down and read, for yourself, exactly what the laws say. Too many times, somebody hears of an incident and they say, "I would have done this" and somebody else listens to that and assume's it's a legal fact that you can do that. Do not go by hear-say, read up on it. Know exactly, where you stand.

Know your bounderies. Does that perp have to step in the house, or is the stoop good enough, how about the yard, or on the sidewalk or property, are they advancing, to what degree does the threat have to escalate to before you can react? There are a lot of things to know about bounderies and when those bounderies are crossed.

Know your capabilities. How strong are you? Can't you stand your ground? Could you pull the trigger, if needed to? Personally, I'd take an ass whoopin to having to shoot and kill somebody, if I knew that the ass whoopin was all the further it was going to go. But if I had one iota of an inkling that it might go further, I would, and have stood my ground and pulled the trigger.

Go to a range that rents weapons. Ask if they have any kind of one on one training available. You do not want to go to a class of 15 people and try and learn. You need some one on one time to learn from scratch, exactly what you need for a firearm. If that instructor is worth a crap, he'll be asking you questions like, how is the layout of the house, what distances are we talking about, what is the construction and what is on the other side of those walls, who and what is inside the house and to what degree are you going to stand up for your rights. He'll be able to help "fit" you to a weapon that fits you and is capable of what you need to use it for.

Once you have burned some powder and became profficient with a firearm, then you can start looking at defense classes that will lead to a CCW.

It's a hard decision to pull a trigger. Are you going to hit the perp? Are you going to miss and hit the neighbor? Are you going to hit a family member? What kind of trouble is going to result from the perps death? What kind of repercussions are going to result? How are your family members going to react to you after you have killed a perp inside your house? Or even outside your house? Is the perps family going to file a wrongful death suit against you? Most importantly, are you strong enough and capable of standing up to all the scruitanny of months, if not years of the system and courts grilling you?

It's not as simple as "I have a gun, bang, problem solved."

If you have considered everything I have covered and what many others have said, and you understand it, then it's time to figure out what kind of weapon you need. Good luck!

Old 08-16-2012, 05:09 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
This has all to do with protecting my family. I was assaulted twice in four days and living in the commonwealth of Pa. they could not arrest the perps, so we are basically left alone on an island, with no protection. I wanted to get an opinion on getting a carry permit OR getting the personal protection shotgun for the home. The second assault took place on my front porch, which in my state is part of my Castle.
Just be aware that the Castle defense will still have you arrested and standing before a judge.

Document, document, document. A camera system is important.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
We live in Wilkes Barre City, Pa. and I was assaulted two times in three days and sustained injuries to my face head and jaw. I am fed up. I went to Dicks Sporting Goods today and want your opinion. I was told to either go to the Court and get a "concealed weapon" permit and carry a firearm or purchase a Mossberg Personal defense shot gun which you can load three shells at once.

I am new to guns and need as much help as possible. Thanks, Warren Zee.
I don't know where you live NEPA ??? But I'd be moving as soon as possible if I were you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-16-2012, 05:14 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,631 times
Make sure to notify the local authorities of the situation and file a report that you fear for your life, so that if you have to use deadly force, then you will have built a foundation for its use. Speak to a local attorney because even if you are right in the use of deadly force, you might end up in court.

Get a permit and make sure to take a class and learn all the local laws. A firearm is only as good as the person who carries it. Many a firearm has been taken away from a person carrying it, or owning it, and then used on that person or their family. Not everyone has the ability to kill or attempt to kill another human being. A man or woman must know their own limitations. I have known of police officers who could not pull the trigger when the time came. He who hesitates may be lost.

In many states you can have a firearm in your home, in that case a shotgun with 00 or 000 buck is a great choice but make sure to secure it when away because if your neighbor knows you have it, then they might just decide to take it for themselves when you are not home or sleeping. Have a home alarm installed so you will not be caught by surprise when sleeping or coming home.

Never use a firearm to gain leverage because you may be the one to end up in jail. Make sure of the law in your area about having the weapon outside your home and using it on your property.

Look at all other options such as moving away first. Taking a human life is something a person will have to live with forever and it can and probably will change you.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:29 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I would move if possible. When it comes down to it, messing up your credit because of a sudden move is better than losing a family member. And even if you get a gun, your wife and child still have to be able to come and go from the house and it doesn't sound like they can.

Also, if you do end up shooting one of these people, you'll be in jail for a few days at least but probably several months, while the rest of them are free to take their revenge on your wife and son.

I would suggest a nice, heavy baseball bat stored somewhere accessible for home defense, as long as you're strong enough to hold onto it if the bad guy tries to yank it from your hands. Get a can of mace for your wife to keep with her all the time (to hold in her hand when she goes from the door to the car, to take out the trash, etc).

I've lived with a situation where I had dangerous, drug-addicted neighbors who were mad at me. It's not a fun thing to deal with. Every time we had to call the police, they took the neighbor's side. We moved rather than risk a confrontation where we had to shoot someone. I wouldn't have felt any grief over killing the neighbor if necessary to protect myself or my children, but moving was a less disruptive solution for my family.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:45 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I would suggest a nice, heavy baseball bat stored somewhere accessible for home defense, as long as you're strong enough to hold onto it if the bad guy tries to yank it from your hands. Get a can of mace for your wife to keep with her all the time (to hold in her hand when she goes from the door to the car, to take out the trash, etc).
Bad advice. A baseball bat is a weapon if used for that purpose, subject to all the legal restrictions that apply to weapons. What I am saying is that the legal consequences of using a baseball bat will be no different then using a firearm in most areas. It will most certainly be considered deadly force.
Good advice is in the rest of your post.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:38 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
The more I read this thread the more I think the OP should NOT buy a gun, at least for the time being. Seems to me his emotions are running high, and thats a dangerous thing.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:26 AM

69 posts, read 175,348 times
Question: If he shoots and kills his "attacker" could it be considered pre-meditated since there is so much documentation of what his intentions "might" be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting