Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:13 PM

7 posts, read 6,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
Question: If he shoots and kills his "attacker" could it be considered pre-meditated since there is so much documentation of what his intentions "might" be?
Not anymore than me going to the range every week to practice shooting 10,000 or more rounds a year so I won't miss. Not anymore than buying snap caps and practicing dryfiring at least 25-50 a day so I can press (not pull) the trigger perfectly in a fashion as to not dump a empty case balancing on the front sight by it's base. Not anymore than training your arse off and learning everything there is to know so there will be no thinking, no foul ups, no remorse....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 09:03 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live1911s View Post
Not anymore than me going to the range every week to practice shooting 10,000 or more rounds a year so I won't miss. Not anymore than buying snap caps and practicing dryfiring at least 25-50 a day so I can press (not pull) the trigger perfectly in a fashion as to not dump a empty case balancing on the front sight by it's base. Not anymore than training your arse off and learning everything there is to know so there will be no thinking, no foul ups, no remorse....
Exactly.

I don't go to the gun range and fire off rounds at a target because I want to compete. You can't just get a gun and think that makes you safe. You actually need to learn to use the gun, you need to practice, you need to get to really know your gun.

Of course part of going to the range is fun...at least for me it is. I enjoy the smell of gun powder, I enjoy shooting.

Having said all of that, any responsible gun owner will tell you that the last thing they want to do is to have to shoot someone. No one *wants* to be put in to that situation.

It is better, though, to have really gotten to know your weapon and know how to use it IF that situation should occur than to have a gun lying around and not have a clue how to use it.

There is much more to responsible gun ownership than just having one.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:24 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Get a dog, not a gun.

DO NOT, EVER, BUY A GUN WITH THE INTENTION OF USING IT TO RESOLVE AN EXISTING PROBLEM. That is the STUPIDEST thing you can do, as it will invariably lead to an unnecessary death - PROBABLY YOURS. If you get lucky and survive, you'll spend the rest of your life in jail for premeditated murder.

Seriously. I realize you're frustrated, and you want to "win" whatever ping-pong game you're dealing with, but a gun is NOT the answer. Period. End of story. BUY A DOG.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:46 AM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
In Dick's Sporting in the area where they have the hunting guns, they have an area where there are
"Personal Protection" shot guns. This Mossberg was $219.00 and it was a short barrel where you put load three shells. I was a NYS Private Investigator for 25 years and was in some of the worst areas of NYC,
Brooklyn and the Bronx and never once had I felt so violated as I had in front of my home. There was never a need for a gun and I was in some of the worst projects in N.Y. I am getting a shot gun and possibly will get the carry permit if we don't get out here quickly. Warren
First thing you do when buying that shotgun is open the loading tube and remove the wooden dowel that they inserted that limits the capacity to three rounds. I believe it is in there to comply with hunting laws regarding how many rounds a gun can carry while deer hunting.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:36 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,041 times
Wilkes Barre must have changed since the last time I was there (80's)

My uncle lives in Old Forge and visited them regularly, never thought it was a bad area

Old 09-12-2012, 10:28 AM

24,480 posts, read 17,220,223 times
You have some good advice here. How would you feel if you did shoot someone even if you are in the right it will still be a long legal road then you have to watch your back for retaliation by the deu... bags friends/ family.
Ovcatto said it best about recognising a situation before it becomes one. Avoid it at all costs. With a gun in your pocket most people get a over inflated sense of bad boy macho from watching too many movies. What if you pull it then in a struggle the deadly force of a gun is turned on you. It happens all the time. Speaking of movies this reminds me of that Clint Eastwood one "Gran Torino" and for those that saw it it didn't end well.
Gun safety 101 Don't point the gun at anything you don't intend to kill.
Maybe you could try mace, get a big dog, or if your state is like mine which requires a firearms card to buy mace then carry hornet/wasp spray. The spray is in a big can totally legal and will shoot like 25 feet and is just as effective as mace.
Good luck.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:04 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
pumping the bad guys full of lead is not the end of your problems its the beginning. have u considered speaking about the multiple assaults in the last 3 days to the police???
killing some people will stop the immediate problem but create many more. do not do not get a gun and think by showing it to them they will run away, horrible beginner mistake.
never produce a weapon without the clear intention of using it. the chances are with our lousy justice sytem if u use that gun, u will go to jail and those who attacked u will be free.
I mostly agree with this......

If the gun is a hand gun of any kind, pulling it pretty much means you decided to pull the trigger a few seconds before you touched it.

If the weapon is a shot gun, then to have it means you touched it, and have it pointed some place safe, up or down.

IMO there is non place for self defense with a rifle above .22 cal.... and only that if it's all ya got.

Last if you are in the act of defending a home/property it would be wise to have a phone in the other hand and the cops hearing what goes on.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
OP this is not a war you can win when your family is involved.

Unless some unfortunate accident befalls the perps.

If it were me and your story is not a fabrication, I would move ASAP.

You cant win playing their game which is what they are trying to get your to do. These scumbags have nothing to lose and you have everything.

You may have been an investigator for 25 yrs but unless you have lived life in that strata you are outgunned so to speak.

Move on your family is worth more than anything else.
LOL yeah the gun won't cost so much as the back hoe huh

Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live1911s View Post
That is true. Are you a brandisher, or a shooter? Forget any and all brandishing punishments that you might have coming. If it comes to "that" you have fractions of seconds to stop the threat or he/them will STOP you. If you draw and the perp turns and runs full tilt away you can't shoot him in the back. You'll have to let him go. That's not the same as "drawing down on someone" only to scare them. Don't ever bank on the fact he will see the gun and run away. True it happens A LOT, but don't ever count on it. Be ready to use it and know when to back off when the threat is gone. The worst thing to imagine is one of those guys ^ I spoke of above getting their own gun taken from their hands that "couldn't do it" and use back on YOU! Don't be that guy!
The main difference is being tried by 12 over being carried by 6.... I know you know....

I tend to think of defense as Stopping, and if the bad guy dies that's his business.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
First thing you do when buying that shotgun is open the loading tube and remove the wooden dowel that they inserted that limits the capacity to three rounds. I believe it is in there to comply with hunting laws regarding how many rounds a gun can carry while deer hunting.
That would be bird hunting, since 5 shels would be legal in most states for deer hunting. Just sayin'.

I had wanted to read this thread last week, but had to go off a ways for another event I do, so i am kinda late..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting