Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 12:31 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times

Advertisements

Yah, I am sure that every backyard, garage has a CNC and production machines. They're only a few hundred grand. Hell, everybody has them, readily available.

Once the can is perfected and goes into production, the cost goes way down. Design costs are set aside for a 3 year return, max. Usually 18 months or less. The cost of that can has no relationship by on what it actually costs to produce, it is based on what the market will pay. People make I sound like each can is tuned for a particular rifle. Not the case. If it was, you'd have to send them your rifle for a month so they could perfect your can. How many times have you heard of that happening? No, they are not going to be $100 each, but $1200 is rediculous, there is no way you are going to convince me they have that much tied up in a production run item.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 02:02 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,989,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Yah, I am sure that every backyard, garage has a CNC and production machines. They're only a few hundred grand. Hell, everybody has them, readily available.

Once the can is perfected and goes into production, the cost goes way down. Design costs are set aside for a 3 year return, max. Usually 18 months or less. The cost of that can has no relationship by on what it actually costs to produce, it is based on what the market will pay. People make I sound like each can is tuned for a particular rifle. Not the case. If it was, you'd have to send them your rifle for a month so they could perfect your can. How many times have you heard of that happening? No, they are not going to be $100 each, but $1200 is rediculous, there is no way you are going to convince me they have that much tied up in a production run item.
A 3 year old suppressor design is ready for a change. You can't stay competitive running them out much longer than that. That also means that you start designing the next one as soon as that one hits the market...not after 3 years. It will take those 3 years to improve it...money money money.

No, suppressors are not tuned to a certain rifle, but they are tuned to certain pressures, barrel lengths, and performance matrices.

What is valued more? POI shift and lack of backpressure...or suppression of sound? Weight, or suppression? Will it be used for sub, or supersonic suppression?

The list of trade-offs dictated by physics goes on and on and on.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:05 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times
Suppressors aren't really my thing, personally. If I did decide to get one, or thought about getting one for just one of my pistols or rifles, the price and other fees are a definite turn off.

Quote:
And here I thought all I needed to make a suppressor was an oil filter and a double nut, or a two liter soda bottle and some duck tape.

I saw it on youtube so it must be true!
According to The Walking Dead, a flashlight makes a great suppressor. :P

Old 01-13-2015, 05:00 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,989,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
Suppressors aren't really my thing, personally. If I did decide to get one, or thought about getting one for just one of my pistols or rifles, the price and other fees are a definite turn off.

According to The Walking Dead, a flashlight makes a great suppressor. :P
The $100 effective Form1 suppressors, and one not so $100 56k beware, or even 2mb like me...... - AR15.COM

Ryan's Ultimate Flashlight Form 1 Suppressor thread - AR15.COM

here ya go for all you "I MUST! have a cheap suppressor" types. Yes, they do exist, yes, they are "fun", no, I'm not interested...but I'm not everyone. Maybe this is right for YOU?

Old 01-13-2015, 12:00 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
The $100 effective Form1 suppressors, and one not so $100 56k beware, or even 2mb like me...... - AR15.COM

Ryan's Ultimate Flashlight Form 1 Suppressor thread - AR15.COM

here ya go for all you "I MUST! have a cheap suppressor" types. Yes, they do exist, yes, they are "fun", no, I'm not interested...but I'm not everyone. Maybe this is right for YOU?
Nope. I'm a firm believer you get what you pay for. If a person wants cheap, then they shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't last too long, or there are certain issues with such an item such as a cheap suppressor.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:24 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garvan View Post
once the maker has orders, stock and set up machinery, they are knocking out a "can" every few minutes, actually. Much, much less work involved than making a $600 AR15.
Thank your government. It is government licencing, regulation, taxes and transfer fees that drive the cost of a simple muffler through the roof. You used to be able to buy them for a very few dollars at any hardware store back before NFA34.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:52 AM

50 posts, read 80,801 times
The idea that it just costs that much to manufacture a can is total BS. Its not rocket science and any one with a rudimentary tool and die experience can whip one up in a day. Its the restriction, licensing, and gov. restriction that keeps prices high. That and the BS the buyers buy into that their particular can is just soo much better than this other POS can because they paid so much more for it. I used to argue with some of the idiots at one of the suppressor forums about 22lr cans. I have one that works well, comes apart at both ends and I can remove the guts to clean it and I paid $98 dollars for it plus $200 TS. I was told it would not work, it was as loud as no can and all the other BS. If your not using very sensitive sensors, your ear can not tell the difference between my can and the 800 dollar cans. The other thing that makes cans expensive is the end vender. They will triple or even quadrupedal the price of a can. Thing is because of the gov. restriction on them, back ground checks, tax stamps ect. they are not manufactured and sold in enough quantity to make them subjected to market forces. The best can if the restrictions were removed would suddenly drop by 80 percent or more. Walmat would be selling them driving prices down even more. Too many people think that if they pay more they get more. Sometimes that is true, many times you just pay more. But it makes the genital challenged feel good about something

Old 01-20-2015, 07:01 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellsfloto View Post
The idea that it just costs that much to manufacture a can is total BS. Its not rocket science and any one with a rudimentary tool and die experience can whip one up in a day. Its the restriction, licensing, and gov. restriction that keeps prices high. That and the BS the buyers buy into that their particular can is just soo much better than this other POS can because they paid so much more for it. I used to argue with some of the idiots at one of the suppressor forums about 22lr cans. I have one that works well, comes apart at both ends and I can remove the guts to clean it and I paid $98 dollars for it plus $200 TS. I was told it would not work, it was as loud as no can and all the other BS. If your not using very sensitive sensors, your ear can not tell the difference between my can and the 800 dollar cans. The other thing that makes cans expensive is the end vender. They will triple or even quadrupedal the price of a can. Thing is because of the gov. restriction on them, back ground checks, tax stamps ect. they are not manufactured and sold in enough quantity to make them subjected to market forces. The best can if the restrictions were removed would suddenly drop by 80 percent or more. Walmat would be selling them driving prices down even more. Too many people think that if they pay more they get more. Sometimes that is true, many times you just pay more. But it makes the genital challenged feel good about something
No, No, No, NO! It has been established in this thread that there is no middle ground. All suppressors are either made out of exotic super-alloys with million$ CNC machines in a large factory with an army of QA/QC inspectors on staff, or they are made out of aluminum flashlight shells with freezer-plug baffles. If you want a simple .22LR suppressor for plinking at aluminum cans or for hunting squirrels, it's either benchrest accuracy or crap. No other options are possible.

Even if all import and registration restrictions are eliminated, it would be completely impossible for a factory in China to start pumping out millions of Aluminum "K" or "Omega" baffles for pennies each ready for assembly here in the US. Or for a retired machinist turned "garage gunsmith" with a simple metal lathe and milling machine to be able to fabricate the components for dozens of moderate-quality "M"-baffle suppressors in a day's time. Or, assuming people are actually allowed to sell used suppressors without a $200 tax, there is NO WAY the widows of deceased gun-owners would ever sell their former husband's weapons for less than what he paid for them.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:47 AM

50 posts, read 80,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
No, No, No, NO! It has been established in this thread that there is no middle ground. All suppressors are either made out of exotic super-alloys with million$ CNC machines in a large factory with an army of QA/QC inspectors on staff, or they are made out of aluminum flashlight shells with freezer-plug baffles. If you want a simple .22LR suppressor for plinking at aluminum cans or for hunting squirrels, it's either benchrest accuracy or crap. No other options are possible.

Even if all import and registration restrictions are eliminated, it would be completely impossible for a factory in China to start pumping out millions of Aluminum "K" or "Omega" baffles for pennies each ready for assembly here in the US. Or for a retired machinist turned "garage gunsmith" with a simple metal lathe and milling machine to be able to fabricate the components for dozens of moderate-quality "M"-baffle suppressors in a day's time. Or, assuming people are actually allowed to sell used suppressors without a $200 tax, there is NO WAY the widows of deceased gun-owners would ever sell their former husband's weapons for less than what he paid for them.
I don't buy this bs that these are made so complicated. I have taken a few apart and they are much more simple than a chain saw or any of the thousands of much more complicated things China pumps out. Its BS that they are really worth that kind of $. If you want to believe that to support your paying high $ that's your bad of snakes. I am thinking of buying a 9mm suppressor, but I will tell you, I have a buddy who bought one of the oil can suppressors and its damn near as quite at one of the much more expensive suppressors. Now if you want to tell me that oil can is very complicated and China can not..... Wait it was made in China.
The clip below is a company who makes the adapters, they run about 90 bucks, the tax stamp is 250 percent higher then the actual product. I believe you can not change the can on your own, you have to send it in to the company, another thank you federal gov.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haiqFcIXTqs

Last edited by sellsfloto; 01-20-2015 at 10:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting