Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you keep a round in the chamber?
Yes 66 76.74%
No 20 23.26%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 04:24 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
When it comes to SHTF single actions is a no go unless it's cocked and locked. I prefer double action with a round in the pipe.

I carry a Beretta PX4 which is DA/SA so the first squeeze of the trigger is double action and the follow up is single action. This allows for very fast follow ups. It's loaded with Fenix FXP 9mm +P (Gold Dot in ShellShock casings). Excellent ammo for the money.
The WALTHER P99 AS (and the compact version), are in my opinion, the "perfect" pistol for a variety of reasons.
The P99 AS version (a medium sized pistol) has been available in the U.S. for approx 15 years and the "c" compact version for IIRC, for about 5 yrs. This "AS" version is essentially a DA/SA trigger system with the capability of choosing to carry the gun in one of 2 modes.......DA [1st shot only]; ..SA [all shots will be S/A]
I prefer the DA/SA mode, with a round in the chamber......achieved by pressing the decocker button, thus putting the trigger system into the DA mode for the 1st shot.
With a green laser/800 lumens flash light unit mounted, it is the perfect night stand pistol.
It can be carried effectively as an EDC either way.........obviously it is slightly more difficult to conceal for EDC with the laser/light mounted. ..However I found a holster made in Isreal that works out quite well for EDC with the laser/light mounted.
Being in my 87th year and having owned and shot approx12 different hand guns in the last 74 yrs, this Walther IIHO, is the best of the bunch!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 05:28 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,407 times
Sound like a great pistol but I would not mount a light on it. A perp can shoot at the light so I'd hold a light separately and hold it away from my body. This gives you a chance.

Congrats for surviving this long so far. I'm 68 and hope to have many more years. Before I got my PX4 I was carrying a Glock G29 10mm pistol for years. A full house 10mm will stop s**t in a hurry. But alas, It's becoming a bit much for me and I will not pay 10mm prices for the power of a 40sw. I got a 40sw barrel for the 29 and damned if they ain't snappy. It's worse than the 10mm.

Oh, by the way, I have a 2000 lumen flashlight so they cannot see me at all.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:33 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,334,408 times
So Griz, you started shooting handguns when I was born.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:46 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
So Griz, you started shooting handguns when I was born.
Yeah, I 'm an old fogey............., however, I was blessed to have a father who did not want to raise his daughter and son in a city inviroment. So, he and my mom scrimpted and saved from their early married yrs (1926--both had jobs).......and in 1931 they bought an acre of land out in the country 55 miles from Chgo where they both worked. In the next three years they built a house on that acre and we moved in, in1934......I was born in early 1932.
Got my 1st firearm, a .22 rifle, In 1941 and my first handgun, a 9 shot .22 revolver, in 1945.
Dad died in 1945 and mom and I lived in that house until 1950.
I can't tell you how many squirrels. rabbits,, pheasants, ducks and geese , I harvested that made up approx 50% of our daily food supply.......especially during the yrs of WWII.....And the nearby lake was great for bass, bluegills, perch and crappie.
Used a borrowed shotgun from age 11 to 17, when I finally saved enough to buy a used 12ga SXS.........
I still have all three of those first firearms:.......a Win mdl 74 semi auto .22 cal rifle; ...a High Standard .22 revolver, and a LeFever 12ga SXS.
I was a lucky kid to be raised out in the boonies and literally grew up with a rifle or shotgun in one hand and a fishing rod in the other..
Today's kids have no idea the way things were for kids in my age bracket being raised out in a rural environment.......I loved it and was able to make a little spending money with a couple of part-time jobs and trapping Muskrats, Beaver and Mink, ......

Old 10-03-2018, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Today's kids have no idea the way things were for kids in my age bracket being raised out in a rural environment.......I loved it and was able to make a little spending money with a couple of part-time jobs and trapping Muskrats, Beaver and Mink, ......
When the power grid goes down during SHTF the today's kids are up the s**t creek because they know jack squat about survival.

They'll be crying because their iphones and tablets aren't working anymore.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:40 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
Sound like a great pistol but I would not mount a light on it. A perp can shoot at the light so I'd hold a light separately and hold it away from my body. This gives you a chance.

Congrats for surviving this long so far. I'm 68 and hope to have many more years. Before I got my PX4 I was carrying a Glock G29 10mm pistol for years. A full house 10mm will stop s**t in a hurry. But alas, It's becoming a bit much for me and I will not pay 10mm prices for the power of a 40sw. I got a 40sw barrel for the 29 and damned if they ain't snappy. It's worse than the 10mm.

Never occurred to me with the light on the gun like that. Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Old 10-03-2018, 10:39 AM

You're welcome. Survival matters.

Oh, and another thing, to aim the light you'll be pointing the gun as well. You'd not want to shoot your loved ones. This happened before and that's a scary thought.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:48 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,334,408 times
Griz, sounds like you had an idyllic childhood - except for losing your dad so early. He sounds like he was quite the American family man who did the right thing.

I was a military brat and grew up mostly on US Army posts, and didn't get out into the boonies except for summertime visits to my rural grandparents' home in NW Missouri. They lived pretty "rustically" - didn't get indoor plumbing until 1950. Their outhouse could get really chilly when we visited at Christmas time.

My grandpa gave me his Winchester Model 42 .410 pump in 1955 - it was my first real firearm. Still have it in the safe and will pass it on to one of my sons.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:03 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,514,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
The WALTHER P99 AS

Yes, the P99 is a fantastic pistol. I had 4 of them around 2003 to 07 or so. Then I caught the Beretta bug again and sold them off. But, I missed the platform, so I got another one last January. I've cycled it into my carry rotation. I will say that I shoot it the best out of any guns I own. It is a fantastic platform.

Quote:

I did the seperate light thing for years. I stopped having a light on my gun. And, I have 2 lights on my night stand. However, after getting divorced, I bought a condo. It is 2 stories. I recently went back to having a light on my nightstand gun. When/if I would need to go downstairs, I want to have my other hand free. So, I've decided to keep the light on the gun again.

But, I will admit that I have night lights throughout the 1st floor. There are no hiding places. I did that previously in my house that I used to have. May not need to turn on the light.

As for 2000 lumens - I think that is a bad idea. I have a 2000 lumen flashlight too, but I don't use it inside. I once woke up and couldn't find the water bottle next to my bed. I grabbed my flashlight, and turne dit on. Apparently, when I last used it, I left it on high. I had 1000 lumens reflect off the white wall that was 3 feet in front of me. I saw spots for several seconds after that. Remember - I had just woke up.

After that, I always kept the light on a lower setting by my nightstand. A cop that has been awake and is searching a home for a bad guy wants a bright flashlight. When you first wake up and grab your gun - you may not want 1000 or 2000 lumens first thing. You can end up blinding yourself.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:07 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,514,707 times
My nightstand gun:

And, since I live in a condo (basically, an apartment that I own), I have o worry about neighbors who are thru the wall. So, this is my main home defense weapon. It will penetrate less interior walls than a 9mm will.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting