Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 01:18 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,865 times

Advertisements

Our home is on the beach and although I have not actually lived there yet (home is rented) I spent some time there when we purchased last spring. I felt safe and did not see anything that bad that any city area might have to deal with. I'm very happy with our home, new neighbors and area we selected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 07:34 PM

8 posts, read 44,797 times
Oceanview is where everyone gets the "good" drugs. But its cleaned up ALOT in the last few years. Lots of million dollar waterfront homes, new condos and apartments being built. Lots of new construction and development going up. It's turning into a ritzy area but still has some seedy pockets here an there. You'll know where these places are when you see them. Oceanview has the best pier for fishing and some of the best seafood restaurants in the area.

Seriously, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. just use common sense like you would anywhere else and you'll be alright

Old 09-24-2008, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,803 times
I live in Ocean View. Am originally from Pittsburgh. Have lived here several years, am a professional, have an amazing family, and own an almost million dollar home. I love the area and it is beautiful. I have my own gorgeous beach.

Every area is what you make of it. Every area has crime, drugs, etc. Do not judge an area until you have seen it is my opinion to you. Go there and visit if you haven't already. Do not listen to anyone on here, myself included. You have to be your own judge!

Old 09-25-2008, 05:18 AM

111 posts, read 353,640 times
I myself live in Ocean view, in a cute little studio apartment across the street from the beach. I feel quite safe coming and going at all hours. Just use some common sense, you know - lock your doors, be aware of your surroundings, and it's just fine. Except for the big three story houses across the street from me blocking most of my view, I have no complaints. I hear it used to be a bad area, and that it's also dramatically improved. Of course, this is coming from a single person who doesn't have a family to raise, but it's not a bad area.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,698 times
Default OV is sketchy....

I just moved into a house off of shore drive. -I've only been here two months and I'm pretty sure there's a crack den next door... Speaking of 7-11s there's one 300 ft away that's been robbed twice since I've been here. I think ocean view has a lot of bad history. If you know how to use the internet and you can read this then you don't belong in ocean view. Stay Away. My consolation is that I'm only going to be here for a few months longer. -Hands down the strangest, creepiest place I've ever lived.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:28 AM

9 posts, read 27,870 times
First of all, Ocean View is a very large area and has been going through a major transition over the last 15-20 years. Today, there are pockets of million dollar homes and condos throughout. Yes, there are some streets that contain some rundown duplexes and apartments but every buyer gets to choose what their comfort level is. Also, you don't have to be purchasing a million dollar home to be on a "good" street either. I've had many clients that found nice detached homes in the $200k range that were totally comfortable with the neighbors. Just do your homework and good luck.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,356 times
I stumbled upon this board and I felt compelled to write a response. I am a resident of Willoughby Spit at the far west end of Ocean View, and I urge you not to buy into all of the ridiculous nonsense that you hear from individuals with "personal experience." As with ANY area, you will find both good and bad areas. Ocean View had it's hey-day decades ago and, as a result, many of the homes and buildings are older and, yes, some are in disrepair. However, great steps have been taken in recent years to renovate and restore the area. I find that Willoughby Spit and West Ocean View, while older, each have an incredibly rich history and a very promising future. Additionally, East Ocean View and, in particular, East Beach and the marina are both beautiful and upscale. The important thing to know about Ocean View is that there are both wonderful and safe areas as well as small pockets of holdouts from the run-down years of OV. You will find the majority of these pockets in East Ocean View between Mick's Pancake House and the East Beach development and they will be several blocks off of Ocean View Avenue and away from the bayfront. These less safe areas are both hard to miss and easy to avoid as a potential homebuyer. -Attorney and Willoughby Spit Homeowner

Read more: [url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/hampton-roads-area/312386-ocean-view.html#ixzz0WlJq0cNt[/url]

Old 11-13-2009, 01:25 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVLegalEagle View Post
I stumbled upon this board and I felt compelled to write a response. I am a resident of Willoughby Spit at the far west end of Ocean View, and I urge you not to buy into all of the ridiculous nonsense that you hear from individuals with "personal experience." As with ANY area, you will find both good and bad areas. Ocean View had it's hey-day decades ago and, as a result, many of the homes and buildings are older and, yes, some are in disrepair. However, great steps have been taken in recent years to renovate and restore the area. I find that Willoughby Spit and West Ocean View, while older, each have an incredibly rich history and a very promising future. Additionally, East Ocean View and, in particular, East Beach and the marina are both beautiful and upscale. The important thing to know about Ocean View is that there are both wonderful and safe areas as well as small pockets of holdouts from the run-down years of OV. You will find the majority of these pockets in East Ocean View between Mick's Pancake House and the East Beach development and they will be several blocks off of Ocean View Avenue and away from the bayfront. These less safe areas are both hard to miss and easy to avoid as a potential homebuyer. -Attorney and Willoughby Spit Homeowner

I always find it funny when someone starts with the saying ...you will find both good and bad places everywhere.......I say BS........I live where I live in Va Bch because it is a good area with no bad area around it......

Last edited by rtandc; 11-13-2009 at 01:56 PM..

Old 11-15-2009, 09:20 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,930,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
I always find it funny when someone starts with the saying ...you will find both good and bad places everywhere.......I say BS........I live where I live in Va Bch because it is a good area with no bad area around it......
What's meant by the saying is any decently sized city is going to have good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods, although it's entirely possible to do as you do and live in a place that's not within arm's reach of a bad neighborhood. Va Beach has neighborhoods like Alanton, but there's also Lake Edward within the same city. Good and bad together in one place. Sometimes it gets narrowed down to one, specific area like Ocean View. Ocean View goes on a block by block basis. One block could be great, and the next one not so much. Or it could be nice during the day and sketchy at night. Either way, it's good and bad together in one area.

And I would have to agree on Ocean View. It's not all bad. There's far worse, in my opinion.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,251 times
i am looking into buying in ocean view. i am a new home buyer and am not looking for anything huge or upscale, i like old homes, but i want to know what streets or areas to avoid, and which ones are on the upturn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area