Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:07 PM

209 posts, read 771,274 times

Advertisements

Don't feel bad. It's tough for me too socially. I don't go drinking, clubbing, or any of that crap that people my age do. It's like I'm an alien when I tell them my ideal of a good time is move with friends instead of doing the nasty with some drunkin' chick from some back allie club.

I'm totally not cool, and I love it. ;p
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 10:13 PM

290 posts, read 1,159,348 times
Newport News is middle of the road in my opinion..You can run into as many nice people as you can a-holes! lol..

Old 08-22-2008, 09:02 PM

8 posts, read 28,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeakesim View Post
Is it just me, or do people seem less friendly in this area than they used to be. I used to think the friendliness of this area was one of it's strong points. I lived a lot in the Northeast and used to think that people here were a lot nicer than up there. But over the past few months I have noticed that the people are a lot more closed off and rude than in the past. It used to be people would say "Hi" to you when walking on the street, but now they seem to stick to themselves. And this is in Great Bridge which I thought was a family friendly area. Even at restaurants/stores, they act like they are doing you a favor by helping you. Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way too?
Wow. I am in the same exact boat! I've lived in New England for the past 15 years, and was fed up with their snobby "the world revolves around me attitude". My family moved down here with the impression that the people were overall nicer, as we had witnessed firsthand on some vacations. But unfortunately, Hampton Roads has it's fair share of rude people.

Please don't even get me started on the driving style....

Old 09-03-2008, 07:45 AM

159 posts, read 531,985 times
Unfortunately most of the people who live here aren't originally from here. I can spot a native from a mile away

Old 09-03-2008, 07:58 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,007 times
So are the natives the friendlies or the un-friendlies ?

Old 09-05-2008, 07:06 PM

41 posts, read 128,017 times
We're the friendlies, I can assure you! Hampton Roads is a very cosmopolitan area, with not only folks from all over the nation, but a lot of people from overseas as well! Unfortunately, not everyone meshes well (ie Driving styles, hence traffic), but those who have put roots here or have grown up here are generally friendly. Every area has its share of rude folks, unfortunately, but as a native whose family has been here for generations, I enjoy meeting new folks and making new friends. VA may not be as "Southern" as the deeper South, but there is still a lot of hospitality to be found amongst its people

Old 09-06-2008, 05:59 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,007 times
That statement was made in jest. My family has been in Virginia since the early 1800's. I count myself and family as one of the " Friendlies ". I have to say we rarely meet any unfriendly people here in Williamsburg. It's a great place to live and raise a family !

Old 09-06-2008, 08:24 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post
That statement was made in jest. My family has been in Virginia since the early 1800's. I count myself and family as one of the " Friendlies ". I have to say we rarely meet any unfriendly people here in Williamsburg. It's a great place to live and raise a family !
Yep, me too. My DS says I'll talk to anyone, but that's just the nature of my everyday life. I figure if someone's having a bad day, they can have it somewhere else! :-O

Old 09-07-2008, 12:19 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post

REALLY!!! I am very surprised by this comment! You know that I live in Williamsburg as well and I have to tell you that I have never met so many people in one area that were so stuck up! And trust me when I say that the area that I grew up in outside of Atlanta, was made fun of for the amount of wealth that floated around. We were even called "East Cobb Snobs!" I think the difference here is that I have also encountered some racist folks and this is not to say that there are not racist people in Atlanta, but I don't think I have ever encountered people so outspoken about being racist prior to moving to Williamsburg. Plus, we live near many of the retired folks and I think that also has something to do with the unfriendliness. We have 2 small kids who run around outside and scream and play and make noise, like they are supposed to, and I don't think that our neighbors who moved here to retire quietly appreciate that much! Oh well! Just my opinion on our situation!

Old 09-07-2008, 12:38 AM

209 posts, read 771,274 times
I said "black person" instead of "African American" down here and I had a white guy call me racist and a black guy to agree with me... It's bizarro world here... If you are wondering, I HATE the term African American. You were born in America, you are American. I have friends from Africa and they hate the term too. I don't understand why people have to be so PC that they MUST classify everyone and everything.

If I must call some body of darker skin African American, I demand I be called Mutt American since I'm mixed.

Ranting aside, I'm about to move into a rich neighborhood and I wonder how I will be accepted, even if at all. *I'm a loner, so it wouldn't bother me one way or another. lol* Your post made me think about that, dvcgal. So, I'm going to blame you if I'm picked on when I move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area