Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 04:34 AM

19 posts, read 42,217 times

Advertisements

I am so glad to have found this forum. These threads have offered a wealth of knowledge. I plan to move to Hawaii and I wonder, for those who have already made the move, what do you wish you had known or wish someone had told you before you moved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 07:36 AM

270 posts, read 506,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglass11 View Post
I am so glad to have found this forum. These threads have offered a wealth of knowledge. I plan to move to Hawaii and I wonder, for those who have already made the move, what do you wish you had known or wish someone had told you before you moved?

I agree, this is a terrific forum with a vast spectrum of information ! It seems from reading, that much may be gained from those that moved-then left-and now post from elsewhere, about their perspectives of the prior experiences.
For me, WHY they left too, is that much more insightful. Hope they keep commenting !

Old 02-17-2012, 08:09 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,103,670 times
TOOO DANG EXPENSIVE!!!!!! Housing is ridiculous, goods to expensive. Schools aren't good, but are any good anymore? medical care can be iffy in some situations. As long as you have money, no problem, its paradise and you can get away as often as you want to or need to.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:29 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,031,211 times
How idiotic State and local government officials are. They pass too many laws in effect this is a police state with strong union prescence.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:42 AM

270 posts, read 506,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
TOOO DANG EXPENSIVE!!!!!! Housing is ridiculous, goods to expensive. Schools aren't good, but are any good anymore? medical care can be iffy in some situations. As long as you have money, no problem, its paradise and you can get away as often as you want to or need to.

The housing "quality" versus cost/locations is highly questionable.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:43 AM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
How idiotic State and local government officials are. They pass too many laws in effect this is a police state with strong union prescence.
they escalate beaurocracy to an artform.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:14 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglass11 View Post
When I do exit interviews at our company - the what I wish I knew list usually is:

I thought I'd be happy making half what I did on the mainland
I thought I'd be happy to pay twice the rent and live in half the space
Wow - nobody told me about all that traffic
I thought family and friends would visit more often since I cant afford to visit them
Nobody told me my electric bill would be $150/month with no air conditioning
Nobody told me a lot of places won't ship to Hawaii
I learned the phrase "That's Hawaii" when coming across a really odd law
It was harder to fit in than I thought
The number 1 is - I thought if I came and didn't work out at least I could say I did it and be happy about it - but now that I'm broke it wasn't really such a smart move - what was I thinking.

I'm always surprised so many people move here with no reality check of how difficult it can be to live here - but I think even if someone told them these realities they'd laugh it off and be in denial and come anyway. But most eventually leave anyway, usually when the lease is up.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,754 times
- That there is still a lot of resentment about statehood/occupation/overthrow... whatever you want to call it. (You think you are just moving to another state but it is more like moving to another country).
-That theft was such an issue, you gotta LOCK YOUR STUFF UP!
-That you need first AND last months rent just to move in someplace.

-That Moving there for a year or two and then moving somewhere regular is like renting a Ferrari and then going back to driving a Civic. Sure, the Ferrari has tons of negatives (cost, poor fuel economy, expensive repairs, reliability issues) and the driving the Civic is a much smarter choice (more reliable, fuel efficient, practical, and safe...) but a part of you always thinks about that Ferrari. Hawaii, similarly, is so beautiful that you will miss it no matter where you go after and some part of you will always think about going back even though you know it is a bad idea.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:38 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Here's an old thread where we had some fun with this...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...land-life.html

Old 02-17-2012, 05:17 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,706 times
I got rid of a lot of warmer clothes and long sleeve tees, thinking I'd live in shorts and short sleeves. After a year here, I'm in a hoody and sweats until at least noon. You become acclimated and you might miss the warmer clothes for the winter mornings.

Other than that, there is nothing that visiting and research didn't prepare us for...costs, housing, schools, all are easily researchable by web or visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii