Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 11:54 PM

959 posts, read 1,216,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I agree with you that some very bad things were done in the past. However, it isn't just limited to white people. Awful things were done by all races of people all over the world. If you want to learn from them and and try to stop these kinds of things from currently happening or happening in the future, then I'm with you. However, if you just want to correct a couple of your favorite injustices from history while ignoring the rest, than that would be just as wrong as the acts you were trying to correct.
Awe, McFrosty, but it's so much more fun to just find blame with haole Caucasians for pretty much everything and ignore all the evil done around the world by others, today and in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 01:51 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,316 times
Quote:
Ok, but if you are going to follow the truth, then it is only fair to follow the truth all the way back to the original wrong and in every case equally. If not, then you are just committing another wrong unfair act and haven't learned anything from history.
to reiterate.... The OP was askin.... "How Come United States have control of the Hawaii Islands" I am here to tell the different side of the story, some even say its the truth.

How come?

Illegal overthrow... illegal vote for state hood is the reasons why the US has control over Hawaiian Islands.

You can go on before the Illegal over throw thats up to you. and please include all treaties Kam 1 had with the other islands, and also list all the international laws he broke...

then can you list all the treaties the US broke in overthrowing the the Queen and you may want to list the international laws they broke as well.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:28 AM

31 posts, read 26,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
to reiterate.... The OP was askin.... "How Come United States have control of the Hawaii Islands" I am here to tell the different side of the story, some even say its the truth.

How come?

Illegal overthrow... illegal vote for state hood is the reasons why the US has control over Hawaiian Islands.

You can go on before the Illegal over throw thats up to you. and please include all treaties Kam 1 had with the other islands, and also list all the international laws he broke...

then can you list all the treaties the US broke in overthrowing the the Queen and you may want to list the international laws they broke as well.
To reiterate, we rescued Hawaii and the Hawaiians from the clutches of an illegal Monarchy that had only come to power by brutal overthrow of justly instituted governments/Tribunals. In other words, we set things right, and everyone prospered by it

Old 05-31-2014, 08:05 AM

959 posts, read 1,216,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post

How come?

Well, technically, it wasn't the United States that overthrew the Monarchy. It was a group of businessmen and some cabinet members who organized the removal of the Queen. And this group led by Stanford Dole who was born in Hawaii and had been a Hawaii resident most of his life.

But of course it's easier to blame the US Government. And yes, some US soldiers landed in Honolulu during the overthrow but never fired a shot and did not get involved and were under orders of neutrality. But it's easier to blame the US Government.

And after the overthrow the new leaders tried to give the islands to the US Government but the US Government at the time didn't want it and did not accept the islands. So the overthrow leaders had to form and run their own government. But of course it's easier to blame the US Government for everything.

Could we have stopped the overthrow? Yes. Could we have re-installed the Monarchy? Yes. Did we? No. Technically the US Government was neutral and didn't fire a single shot. And refused the islands when first offered. And technically, the Monarchy was overthrown by Hawaiian residents and led by a Hawaiian born resident (Stanford Dole). But of course it's easier to just blame the US government for everything. Especially when someone is now looking for a financial handout over 115 years after the fact.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22-250 View Post
To reiterate, we rescued Hawaii and the Hawaiians from the clutches of an illegal Monarchy that had only come to power by brutal overthrow of justly instituted governments/Tribunals. In other words, we set things right, and everyone prospered by it

define rescued? and when was the people of Hawaii in any perils? everyone prospered?

Old 05-31-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Well, technically, it wasn't the United States that overthrew the Monarchy. It was a group of businessmen and some cabinet members who organized the removal of the Queen. And this group led by Stanford Dole who was born in Hawaii and had been a Hawaii resident most of his life.

But of course it's easier to blame the US Government. And yes, some US soldiers landed in Honolulu during the overthrow but never fired a shot and did not get involved and were under orders of neutrality. But it's easier to blame the US Government.

And after the overthrow the new leaders tried to give the islands to the US Government but the US Government at the time didn't want it and did not accept the islands. So the overthrow leaders had to form and run their own government. But of course it's easier to blame the US Government for everything.

Could we have stopped the overthrow? Yes. Could we have re-installed the Monarchy? Yes. Did we? No. Technically the US Government was neutral and didn't fire a single shot. And refused the islands when first offered. And technically, the Monarchy was overthrown by Hawaiian residents and led by a Hawaiian born resident (Stanford Dole). But of course it's easier to just blame the US government for everything. Especially when someone is now looking for a financial handout over 115 years after the fact.
A'ole you want to get all technical.... I believe by your post that you are not a technician when it comes to Hawaiian history as your post has many flaws.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'll say it. There isn't a single person alive today who has any claim of Hawaii being a sovereign nation, therefore it makes it moot.

I categorically reject offspring have some sort of entitlement - that is just silly. Children in today's world are quite frankly over entitled and should focus on themselves and move on.

There, I said it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guU0cy41MR0

Old 05-31-2014, 11:11 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post

While I expressed similar sentiments earlier in post #91, I'm not as quick to absolve the U.S. Government from any culpability in the matter. The Newlands Resolution (1898) "to provide for annexing the Hawaiian Islands to the United States" is somewhat problematic. The "authority" of the Republic of Hawaiʻi stemmed from the January 17, 1893 "Proclamation of the Committee of Safety." Unfortunately, the main purpose of the so-called "Committee of Safety" was to abrogate the Hawaiian monarchy and form a union with the United States. Thus, the culpability of the United States lies in the fact that it allowed the "union" with Hawaiʻi to proceed after previously rebuffing it.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:36 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
I agree with you that some very bad things were done in the past. However, it isn't just limited to white people. Awful things were done by all races of people all over the world. If you want to learn from them and and try to stop these kinds of things from currently happening or happening in the future, then I'm with you. However, if you just want to correct a couple of your favorite injustices from history while ignoring the rest, than that would be just as wrong as the acts you were trying to correct.
I don't think anyone is saying its just caucasians? But we are talking about Hawai'i and how it became a state and the illegal overthrow. I believe i need to make clear, i could care less what type a government the kanaka moali would want, my argument is to give Hawai'i back to her people and let them decide which direction to go.

Further old behavior isn't old of your still doing it. Something to think about.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:38 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
my argument is to give Hawai'i back to her people and let them decide which direction to go.
You mean all the dead people

They may have a hard time deciding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii