Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 12:44 PM

22 posts, read 98,773 times

Advertisements

The other thread is closed before I could comment about cycling in Honolulu.

I'm moving to Honolulu in a next few weeks and will be bringing my road bike with me. I'm moving from a state where bike lanes and riding are prevalent around the city and rural areas. I have been accustomed to be riding in bike lanes with cars moving 30-55 mph next to me here in the mainland. I have lived in Hawaii long enough to experience how we drive compared to mainland drivers.

How safe is cycling in urban (Honolulu) and rural Oahu compared to mainland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 02:11 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,570,446 times
I suggest that you contact one of the many cycling clubs on Oahu. They will certainly have first-hand, real-time knowledge and experience.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:13 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,725,682 times
I rarely see biking in the urban core of downtown to Waikiki - there is hardly any dedicated bike lanes (and - a biker has been killed on the King Street cycle track) - combined with hot weather and random tradewind rain doesn't make a good combination.

I was driving on Kapahulu Ave this morning. They actually painted bike symbols on the road in both sides / and it's completely impossible for a bike and car to coexist on the road - and while you can argue the bike has the right of way and cars shouldn't mind merging over - we don't live in a perfect world.

In my opinion the urban core of Honolulu is one of the most bike unfriendly areas in the US.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:54 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,082,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
a biker has been killed on the King Street cycle track
What is this utter nonsense you keep regurgitating over and over on these forums? No cyclist has ever been killed or even seriously injured in the cycle track.

Good grief.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:06 AM

11,047 posts, read 23,857,204 times
Urban Honolulu is not a good place for bicycles. The traffic is horrendous and tight and folks don't watch out for bicycles. Theft of bicycles and parts is high, too.

If you do ride in Honolulu, assume you are invisible and don't expect the cars to watch our for you or expect you to be there. I used to ride my bike to work, but it was only for about seven blocks and most of that was riding through a park where traffic wasn't a concern. Once I got out to the road where there was cars, it had scary moments.

The terrain is nice and flat if you're going along the coast. If you're going up into the mountains, then it gets a bit more of a workout.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:05 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,082,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekwuz View Post

How safe is cycling in urban (Honolulu) and rural Oahu compared to mainland?
Oahu gets a bad rap when it comes to cycling. But it is changing and changing very rapidly. Many miles of safe cycling routes, lanes (merged and separated) and paths have sprouted up in just the last two years. Going forward, many more miles of bike lanes and routes will be created just inside the next 12 months. So what used to be a mostly bike-unfriendly place is now becoming much more bike-capable. It is primarily thanks to a mayor that realizes the many benefits of cycling for society.

However, as you can probably tell from the feedback on this forum (some members even fabricating outright lies to try to dissuade people from riding here), most people in Hawaii do not support furthering the expansion of cycling infrastructure. Most people see cyclists as a nuisance to them as they "slow them down" or "get in their way" when they are rushing to get somewhere. Very few people want to see more bikes anywhere, period. The irony is that while they want the bikes off the road, most of them don't support alternative means of safe access for cyclists. No bikes on the road (makes drivers mad), no bikes on sidewalks (makes pedestrians mad) which ultimately leaves cyclists no safe and desirable (by NON cyclists) place to ride. This nonsensical way of "thinking" is just a result of pure selfishness and arrogance. A "me me me" attitude that is a sad byproduct of society in general - if it doesn't directly benefit ME, why should I support it?

But as mentioned, safe cycling access routes are sprouting up everywhere. I would say that the bike infrastructure has increased about 10,000% in Honolulu in just the last 2-3 years. Yes, it was THAT bad pre-2014. In fact, before 2014, there wasn't a SINGLE usable bicycle lane on any of our streets in the urban core. Not one. With our perfect year-round weather and very high traffic congestion, cycling makes for a great alternative to driving a car. And of course there are those that only cycle for the recreation of it. Providing healthy and SAFE activities for more people to participate in improves society as a whole.

2-3 years ago, I would say that cycling was just plain scary in the urban core (a 2 out of 10). Today, I would say that it's about a 5 out of 10. By the end of next year, it will likely be a 6 out of 10, overall. You need to be a bit more cognizant about your surroundings when riding here. We have a high concentration of elderly drivers on the road. That and thousands of tourists that are too busy looking at scenery than what's directly in front or next to them. People are still getting accustomed to driving with all the new bike lanes put in place; bike lanes are mostly a foreign concept to locals. You have to assume every car is turning in and out of these new lanes at all times - and ALWAYS yield to them until you are 100% certain they see you and acknowledge you. I would invest in a high-output LED rear strobe (Dinotte or similar) for daytime riding and high lumen LED flasher for the front. And of course follow the no-brainer advice of wearing bright clothing and a helmet at all times.

For the longer rides, Kalanianaole Hwy has a bike lane that stretches all the way through East Honolulu. Thousands of cyclists use this route every week. On Sat mornings, you will sometimes see up to a hundred or so traversing it. It is a very popular route with cycling groups. That route isn't any less safe than those you have experienced in the mainland.

Here is a map of the routes on Oahu -

http://cchnl.maps.arcgis.com/apps/On...dfcbd7f6c435ad

With time (and city/state support), I think Oahu can become one of the most cycling friendly places in the nation. Safety coupled with our year-round perfect weather, ever-expanding high density urbanization and statistically having the healthiest people in the nation, we could become a role model for alternative transportation and safe access to healthy recreation.

Last edited by pj737; 06-22-2016 at 03:17 PM..

Old 06-22-2016, 03:51 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,725,682 times
Besides the King Street cycle death - which didn't make the news - but certainly happened since I know who it was - consider this - It is hugely naive to think every bicycle death makes the news. Roughly 20-30 people die everyday in Honolulu.

From this article written by an avid Honolulu bike rider

Bicycle Riders Face Grim Statistics Of Injury Or Death In Hawaii | Honolulu Legal Examiner | Honolulu Hawaii Personal Injury Lawyer

"Bicycle injuries and deaths are a serious issue that to this day remain relatively unreported. "

Even more troubling - take heed of the last sentence.

" The Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition conducted a study that contends that 75% of at fault motorists were not cited for hitting or killing a bicycle rider or pedestrian. Even more worrisome is a concern that motorists involved in hit and run accidents with bikes are not being found or charged.

Does anyone think that is happening in Honolulu? I doubt it."

Old 06-22-2016, 07:58 PM

788 posts, read 506,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Oahu gets a bad rap when it comes to cycling. But it is changing and changing very rapidly. Many miles of safe cycling routes, lanes (merged and separated) and paths have sprouted up in just the last two years. Going forward, many more miles of bike lanes and routes will be created just inside the next 12 months. So what used to be a mostly bike-unfriendly place is now becoming much more bike-capable. It is primarily thanks to a mayor that realizes the many benefits of cycling for society.

However, as you can probably tell from the feedback on this forum (some members even fabricating outright lies to try to dissuade people from riding here), most people in Hawaii do not support furthering the expansion of cycling infrastructure. Most people see cyclists as a nuisance to them as they "slow them down" or "get in their way" when they are rushing to get somewhere. Very few people want to see more bikes anywhere, period. The irony is that while they want the bikes off the road, most of them don't support alternative means of safe access for cyclists. No bikes on the road (makes drivers mad), no bikes on sidewalks (makes pedestrians mad) which ultimately leaves cyclists no safe and desirable (by NON cyclists) place to ride. This nonsensical way of "thinking" is just a result of pure selfishness and arrogance. A "me me me" attitude that is a sad byproduct of society in general - if it doesn't directly benefit ME, why should I support it?

But as mentioned, safe cycling access routes are sprouting up everywhere. I would say that the bike infrastructure has increased about 10,000% in Honolulu in just the last 2-3 years. Yes, it was THAT bad pre-2014. In fact, before 2014, there wasn't a SINGLE usable bicycle lane on any of our streets in the urban core. Not one. With our perfect year-round weather and very high traffic congestion, cycling makes for a great alternative to driving a car. And of course there are those that only cycle for the recreation of it. Providing healthy and SAFE activities for more people to participate in improves society as a whole.

2-3 years ago, I would say that cycling was just plain scary in the urban core (a 2 out of 10). Today, I would say that it's about a 5 out of 10. By the end of next year, it will likely be a 6 out of 10, overall. You need to be a bit more cognizant about your surroundings when riding here. We have a high concentration of elderly drivers on the road. That and thousands of tourists that are too busy looking at scenery than what's directly in front or next to them. People are still getting accustomed to driving with all the new bike lanes put in place; bike lanes are mostly a foreign concept to locals. You have to assume every car is turning in and out of these new lanes at all times - and ALWAYS yield to them until you are 100% certain they see you and acknowledge you. I would invest in a high-output LED rear strobe (Dinotte or similar) for daytime riding and high lumen LED flasher for the front. And of course follow the no-brainer advice of wearing bright clothing and a helmet at all times.

For the longer rides, Kalanianaole Hwy has a bike lane that stretches all the way through East Honolulu. Thousands of cyclists use this route every week. On Sat mornings, you will sometimes see up to a hundred or so traversing it. It is a very popular route with cycling groups. That route isn't any less safe than those you have experienced in the mainland.

Here is a map of the routes on Oahu -

http://cchnl.maps.arcgis.com/apps/On...dfcbd7f6c435ad

With time (and city/state support), I think Oahu can become one of the most cycling friendly places in the nation. Safety coupled with our year-round perfect weather, ever-expanding high density urbanization and statistically having the healthiest people in the nation, we could become a role model for alternative transportation and safe access to healthy recreation.
He who pays for the roads, get to ride on the roads (aka "gas tax", license fees etc.). He who doesn't, doesn't. By your own admission, you are trying to jam things people don't want down their throats. Presumably, because of your own personal preferences instead of sound logic or rational policy.

What's next, horses, mules, dog teams? Motorize or stay off the roads, IMHO, and sound logic.

Last edited by Propulser; 06-22-2016 at 08:10 PM..

Old 06-22-2016, 10:50 PM

959 posts, read 1,201,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
He who pays for the roads, get to ride on the roads (aka "gas tax", license fees etc.). He who doesn't, doesn't. By your own admission, you are trying to jam things people don't want down their throats. Presumably, because of your own personal preferences instead of sound logic or rational policy.

What's next, horses, mules, dog teams? Motorize or stay off the roads, IMHO, and sound logic.
This is kind of ridiculous I think. Honolulu core along with Waikiki has the density and the weather that could make it a great biking city. i would love to hop on a bike and ride to the mall, the beach, the gym, etc.

The real problem is that I don't feel it is safe to do so in Honolulu today. What a shame. I think if it was safe and convenient, many people would be biking around.

Ala Moana mall is walking distance for me, but sometimes I drive. It has at times taken more than 30 minutes in the parking structure just trying to find a stall for the car. If I could safely bike, and safely store my bike (for example) I'd never drive there again.

I'm sure there are many, many people who feel the same way.

For short trips, I'd love to ditch the car.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:16 AM

788 posts, read 506,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
This is kind of ridiculous I think. Honolulu core along with Waikiki has the density and the weather that could make it a great biking city. i would love to hop on a bike and ride to the mall, the beach, the gym, etc.

The real problem is that I don't feel it is safe to do so in Honolulu today. What a shame. I think if it was safe and convenient, many people would be biking around.

Ala Moana mall is walking distance for me, but sometimes I drive. It has at times taken more than 30 minutes in the parking structure just trying to find a stall for the car. If I could safely bike, and safely store my bike (for example) I'd never drive there again.

I'm sure there are many, many people who feel the same way.

For short trips, I'd love to ditch the car.
I was an avid cyclist riding perhaps 75 miles a week or more. I'd put my bike n the back of my truck and ride to the beach and ride the bike path, - 26 miles. It is great from a recreational standpoint, and when my truck was in for service, provided a fall-back mode of transport.

Having said that, I would offer that relying on a bike as a principle means of transport (as opposed to recreational riding), is kind of like driving a stick shift in traffic. Fun for a few minutes, and then a chore thereafter. However, I have no objection to such an endeavor.

I oppose using any motor vehicle funds to build bike paths or bike lanes on roads, to taking usable roadway out of service of motor vehicles by turning them into bike lanes, and, in general, mixing muscle-powered and motorized conveyances together on the same pavement. That would includes bike, trikes, skaters, scooters, skateboarders, walkers, joggers etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: