Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:47 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,186,051 times

Advertisements

Search the forum someone forgot name made them all in a list ---- moving to HI is the title and all is located there - I spent weeks on this forum before coming over here...... And I had an idea being on Ouha twice already... if you never been to islands never just move .... unless you really have a calling but why is it calling you --- don't come here to run away from something it will follow you...

I will just high light a few since I am a newbie looking in and here trying to decide........... and many people Hotzcatz Leilani Guy Whynot and many other have more info -- look to them for suggestions - I can only speak from my experience .... and on Big Island - Ohau I spent time twice working from mainland in last ten years too busy for me....

medically I would look into your options - so far what I have found on big island is not mainland....
although Ohau and Maui quick flight... that sounds like a priority for you. Amputee ....."who cares" what I have seen -- like i said snorkling it was a shock and only because I thought wow wonder if a shark got him! LOL lots of hitch hikers picked up a few nice people no worries - dreg locks common and wishing shower was availble more of a onsighters idea than amputee--- but it is all good and takes all kins to make a world! No problem no worries....

When they advise expense of moving LOL thought I got it -- now I am getting it!!! downsize to nothing -- if less than a suit case --You will probable want to wear shorts and sandles - today first time I wore a shirt shirt - it is too hot/humid to wear jeans - did it for a day in Waipoi Valley on horse ride - think summer - again each their own but you don't need to do it to be visually comforatable no one will care!

if possible and plan on buying or renting with furnishings...find a room to rent .... but it is not cheap to come over -- my friend book a flight 12 days ago and joined me - got a great deal only around $400 to fly next day - but if you move a house now your looking at thousands... and then you gota go back if you no like! Comprehending being here more than reading internet.... And I flipped the bill for a place to stay and car rental and on and on... not cheap to check out - but if you stay away from the "tourist" things you can keep expenses down....

transportation bring car buy car? either way expensive.... know what your buying (used car saleperson here could see issues here)

Vog --- love Pele - Vog hates me - luckily I like Pahoa area - so far little Vog - but again Vog is my main concern. Praying for lava....

Your attitude will deliever your life over here -- you may land and say I love it (or as I landed in Kona and said I hate it ) Pahoa - Hilo love............. it is interesting here you love it or hate it no in between...

And frogs .... do they bother you to sleep? they lull me to sleep but others would hate it - been here almost a month and haven't laid out on a beach...sat on many cliffs or lava and watched waves..... love it -- friend that came over didn't like it so much -- wanted more beaches more more more...

Quiet - if your living near houses or in house -- quiet - my friend from many acres of property very loud - told to be quiet lower voice all the first couple of days -- it is a flow - your with it or not... only way to find out is come and see...

How big town you from? Do you mind waiting for container ship to bring what you went to store three days ago? go to store and not find what you want all sold out? I am used to driving 20 miles to buy gas or cigs... are you used to town closing up at 8pm? I am so no big deal....

Romance -- living in fish bowl of small town here LOL just like home -- your 23 what do you want?

Jobs listen to others - no idea --- be flexible is all I can say...

Again it isn't like saying do I want to go to SD or WA or CA --- it is a move that you must check out first...... I am here and thinking Yep this is it - but I am older and less implusive!

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 12:12 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,075 times
Default Ten best and ten worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
Could you elaborate a bit please? What are the major sacrifices you need to make? What are the biggest annoyances?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...st-hawaii.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...-honolulu.html

Old 11-27-2008, 07:04 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,411,551 times
Quote:
Could you elaborate a bit please? What are the major sacrifices you need to make? What are the biggest annoyances?
Racial strife, traffic, high costs of living, inept local government, affordable housing, the same everywhere.

I'm rather disappointed that you needed to me to expand on this. Unless you really believe that Hawaii is somehow immune from all this? Of course you don't, that would be the height of ignorance. What would I have to complain about? I chose to move here over a year ago. What sense would it make for me to come here just to complain about how bad everything is? Mind you, this doesn't mean that I ignore the ways in which Hawaii is broken. I merely choose to make my experience here pleasant on my "working vacation." As for sacrifices? Other than leaving many of my things in storage, not a whole lot. I came for the experience of being here.

Last edited by ZhugeLiang; 11-27-2008 at 07:13 PM..

Old 11-29-2008, 12:14 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,586,128 times
I agree with most of the posts, it's like a fish bowl and it's why many Hawaiians move to the mainland, ironically the big ocean in comparison, for the more opportunites. I lived in Hawaii for a while both with my folks and on my own and we all moved away for the bigger opportunities, but we all LOVED Hawaii and consider it a second home. In fact my current neighbor happens to be from Hawaii. She's been here for several years but still wears her hawaiian shirts, when it ain't snowing of course. Hawaii is a place I could sit on the beach all day and be content. But at least now I want a purpose in life and not just to be content, but I do hope to return someday, perhaps like many to retire and be content. Maika'I pomaika'i!

Old 12-01-2008, 03:45 PM

66 posts, read 354,216 times
Quote:
Well, compared to what I'd expect in Washington/California (the other places I was thinking) 1,300 for a 2BR definitely isn't too terrible. I'd probably be looking more for a 1BR or a studio, most likely. One of my friends lived in O'ahu for a year and told me that air conditioning isn't necessary as it never gets below 70 or above 80. Then again, us Wisconsinites are from the land of negative winters and 90+, ridiculously humid summers.

The thing I am most worried about, actually, is medical care. I lost my left foot in a car accident when I was in high school (hence not wanting to wear sandals or shorts), and I'm just not sure what to expect in that regard. Since there is a major naval base, I'd assume there has to be something there. I'd also hope the people in Hawaii would generally be accepting of me, something I know is a problem in many asian cultures.

Also, do you "feel" the fact you are actually on a tiny island in the middle of a gigantic ocean? Is there a sort of isolating feeling like that?
If you're single and don't mind the high cost of living you'll probably be fine. Apply at private schools to teach history. Someone mentioned they're only interested in Hawaiian history here, this is especially true for the public school system. You will need to do your research to see if the medical care you need will be available on Oahu. My husband recently had to fly to San Francisco to have a specialized surgery that was not available here. He has also had to fly there to have his follow ups.

Lots of intermarrying here, the Asians will probably love you.

Yes, it does affect me being on an island in the middle of the ocean. Travel costs are a huge issue since I have to consider my husband and children too. But again, if you're single that won't be as much of an issue.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:33 PM

8 posts, read 36,560 times
Quote:
I did some searching and could find nothing but a few vague comments. If I were to move to Hawaii, what is the "culture" there? Is it rasta-ish? What if I don't like sandals, and prefer to wear jeans over shorts? Would I be looked upon as mentally unstable?

What if I'd prefer to kayak or row rather than just sit on the beach?

Any input would be appreciated. It is 18 degrees in Wisconsin right now so I just know that I need to get out, and the sunbelt cities don't do it for me one bit... way too sprawly,
its somewhat comforting to know that there will be other sconnies in hawaii when i get there. haha

Old 12-08-2008, 02:39 AM

134 posts, read 517,053 times
No. I wondered about that too, but you really don't think about it. It's not like you're on a cruise ship. The island doesn't sway back and forth with the ocean.

Coming from such a cold area, you're going to be really hot here. You may want to look into something on the Windward (east) side of the island if you choose Oahu. It gets a much better breeze.

I've noticed that there are all kinds of people here. Military, contractors, local Hawaiians, "Rasta" surfer dudes, people who moved here b/c they thought it would be fun, retirees who grow pakalolo in their backyards, Japanese people, tourists, packs and packs of screaming kids (I think they grow in the mountains), your basic clubbing types, staunch political firebrands, tech geeks, militents, hobos in camps, ******* in Beemers, joggers, tweakers, alkies- really, just about everybody.

Hawaii is a very beautiful place. And if you are okay with living in small quarters, dealing with BAD traffic, having a low paying job, and having a VERY high cost of living...it might be for you. I think part of the reason it's a good vacation spot is that it's very scenic, but really- scenery doesn't make a lifestyle. And a lot of people don't realize that before they come out here. I'm not saying you're doing that, just trying to explain the "Great place to visit, bad place to live" saying. After your initial excitement wears off and reality sets in, you need a job, housing, and some money and good planning to back yourself up.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:42 AM

134 posts, read 517,053 times
Also, do you "feel" the fact you are actually on a tiny island in the middle of a gigantic ocean? Is there a sort of isolating feeling like that?

No. I wondered about that too, but you really don't think about it. It's not like you're on a cruise ship. The island doesn't sway back and forth with the ocean.

Coming from such a cold area, you're going to be really hot here. You may want to look into something on the Windward (east) side of the island if you choose Oahu. It gets a much better breeze.

I've noticed that there are all kinds of people here. Military, contractors, local Hawaiians, "Rasta" surfer dudes, people who moved here b/c they thought it would be fun, retirees who grow pakalolo in their backyards, Japanese people, tourists, packs and packs of screaming kids (I think they grow in the mountains), your basic clubbing types, staunch political firebrands, tech geeks, militents, hobos in camps, ******* in Beemers, joggers, tweakers, alkies- really, just about everybody.

Hawaii is a very beautiful place. And if you are okay with living in small quarters, dealing with BAD traffic, having a low paying job, and having a VERY high cost of living...it might be for you. I think part of the reason it's a good vacation spot is that it's very scenic, but really- scenery doesn't make a lifestyle. And a lot of people don't realize that before they come out here. I'm not saying you're doing that, just trying to explain the "Great place to visit, bad place to live" saying. After your initial excitement wears off and reality sets in, you need a job, housing, and some money and good planning to back yourself up.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:22 AM

210 posts, read 972,416 times
it is not the feel of a tiny island, it is the knowledge that there is nothing NEW to see-you will see it all in a couple of months-the whole island, people, places, and THATS it. there will be nothing new for you to see, and it get very depressing.
Hot weather all the time is not fun either, if you are from the north. also, be ready to pay 5 times more for everything, and have a very isolating and quiet life.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:17 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,985 times
How hot are we talking here? I spent much of last summer in Texas and it never dipped below 90 during the day, and Wisconsin isn't a whole lot better during July. City-Data says that the average temp in July is about 78; that doesn't seem too bad to me.

As for an isolating and quiet life... I figure it's better to live it in Hawaii than in my cold apartment in Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii