Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 02:37 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Yup, the nerve of them. Making my policy better and safer.
If you wanted a better policy, why didn't you buy it? Up until now the policy you had worked perfectly well for you. Since the government said it's "better" you jump right on it. Pay up for that policy, about 100% over what you were paying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 02:51 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
I'm am so pissed off that I am being forced to buy something that is not available. We were promised to be able to keep our plans! Anyone else feel like I do?
How about some specifics???

Your post is meaningless without specific data on your old plan v. the new subsidized plan.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:53 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
.Tell me how a single male needs to buy an insurance policy that is mandated to cover birth control pills.
For the same reason I have to buy auto insurance to cover the uninsured/underinsured driver.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
For the same reason I have to buy auto insurance to cover the uninsured/underinsured driver.
Auto insurance isn't required in every State. It's a personal risk/liability I will make if I want to purchase it or not. I do NOT need the government telling me what to do. When I am paying my premiums (before ACA) they already had the uninsured included because if you go to the emergency room you can not be denied coverage which in turns the insurance companies are aware of which is why people's premiums were high. However; Obama promised us a savings per year of $2,500. I have yet to hear anyone, and please cite sources if you have, that had a plan that they liked and that plan was canceled and the amount per month went down. OR the deductible stayed the same or was lowered. A person making $15,000 a year with a $6,000 deductible is not really covered?! Don't ya think.

Plus, every week the Federal government takes money out of my check for Medicare. I know that doesn't cover everyone, but it does cover people over 65 and younger younger people with disabilities. That sounds funny, ACA wants to cover the same people (older and those with preexisting conditions..JUST FYI...I like the preexisting conditions clause in the ACA).

Old 11-13-2013, 06:00 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
It was foreseen, they specifically wrote the law like that which states that a rate increase over $5/month would cause the plan to be illegal.

The government is using the insurance companies as a scapegoat.

ACA will fail because young people are not signing up (which is the main revenue stream for ACA) and 400,000 people will get "free" or "subsided" healthcare that we, the taxpayers, have to support. So these plans might sound better..Tell me how a single male needs to buy an insurance policy that is mandated to cover birth control pills. The USA is on a large downward spiral.
Tell me why I have to pay for a policy that covers prostrate screening....did you break your hip this year? You paid for a policy that covered that. How about having your tonsils out...did you have that done this year? You paid for a policy that covers that. How about have brain surgery, your policy covers that too....

Old 11-13-2013, 06:22 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Tell me how a single male needs to buy an insurance policy that is mandated to cover birth control pills. The USA is on a large downward spiral.
I agree; if women didn't have sex they would need birth control pills. It's not men's fault.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Tell me why I have to pay for a policy that covers prostrate screening....did you break your hip this year? You paid for a policy that covered that. How about having your tonsils out...did you have that done this year? You paid for a policy that covers that. How about have brain surgery, your policy covers that too....
Not really sure what you are talking about here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I agree; if women didn't have sex they would need birth control pills. It's not men's fault.
Not sure what you are talking about. I, as a man, is I engage in an sexual activity I provide my own protection, it's not up to anyone but me. If I need it, I get it. I am not being forced to getting it. It's called life and life has risk. Also, birth control is used for other than sex.

This could go on forever and ever. There are some good points and some bad points just as everything has. It will never be fully one correct on one side or the other, but to me watching the 15+Million people loss coverage when they were told they were going to keep it is just disgraceful. I respect your opinions.

The USA should be run as a business, not a welfare state. If Obama was the CEO of a company and he told his consumers that they would be getting a product and once that product came out and it was not what he promised; he would be fired so fast. He needs to hold to his promise of letting people keep their insurance.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:03 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,367,597 times
Quote:
Auto insurance isn't required in every State. It's a personal risk/liability I will make if I want to purchase it or not. I do NOT need the government telling me what to do. When I am paying my premiums (before ACA) they already had the uninsured included because if you go to the emergency room you can not be denied coverage which in turns the insurance companies are aware of which is why people's premiums were high. However; Obama promised us a savings per year of $2,500. I have yet to hear anyone, and please cite sources if you have, that had a plan that they liked and that plan was canceled and the amount per month went down. OR the deductible stayed the same or was lowered. A person making $15,000 a year with a $6,000 deductible is not really covered?! Don't ya think.

Plus, every week the Federal government takes money out of my check for Medicare. I know that doesn't cover everyone, but it does cover people over 65 and younger younger people with disabilities. That sounds funny, ACA wants to cover the same people (older and those with preexisting conditions..JUST FYI...I like the preexisting conditions clause in the ACA).
I'm on medicare, but my son's policy in Florida with BCBS went from $412 down to $396.98 and has all the added benefits of the ACA. (got letter with particulars on new plan as substitution for old) However, we recently moved to Nevada, and he will most likely purchase a plan on the Exchange in Nevada as that will be our new legal residence. The Nevada's Exchange shows the closest plan to his previous plan with the Nevada Health Plan is $267 a month (My HPN Platinum1), and he will get a subsidy off that amount.

The very most expensive plan offered on the exchange is one by BCBS which is a Multi State Plan runs $355 a month. Also there are NO Co-Pays. Yes 0 co-pays after the $750 deductible. There is also no cost on drugs after the $750 deductible or no co-pays on any doctor visits or procedures. The only additional charge at all is $500 per hospital stay. But the BCBS has a much smaller network of doctors and hospitals than the Nevada Health Plan does, but is Multi State which is beneficial, as we will be doing some traveling in the states. Have not decided which way to go. But for him, there obviously is a savings. I guess it depends on where you started from. He had a policy that paid most everything and no large deductibles.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:24 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Not really sure what you are talking about here?

Not sure what you are talking about. I, as a man, is I engage in an sexual activity I provide my own protection, it's not up to anyone but me. If I need it, I get it. I am not being forced to getting it. It's called life and life has risk. Also, birth control is used for other than sex.

This could go on forever and ever. There are some good points and some bad points just as everything has. It will never be fully one correct on one side or the other, but to me watching the 15+Million people loss coverage when they were told they were going to keep it is just disgraceful. I respect your opinions.

The USA should be run as a business, not a welfare state. If Obama was the CEO of a company and he told his consumers that they would be getting a product and once that product came out and it was not what he promised; he would be fired so fast. He needs to hold to his promise of letting people keep their insurance.
You are complaining that you have to buy a policy that covers birth control and you don't understand what I said....point being, you pay for a lot of things in your current policy that you will never use, so why is birth control different then that?

Old 11-13-2013, 07:53 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
It was foreseen, they specifically wrote the law like that...
Meh. Not so much

Quote:
June 2010:
The Department of Health and Human Services released preliminary regulations in June.
They state that plans would lose their grandfathered status if coinsurance and copayments
increase more than a specified amount, for example.

According to HHS estimates:
--40 percent to 67 percent of individual policies will lose grandfathered status by 2011;
--34 percent to 64 percent of large employer group plans (100 or more employees)
will lose their grandfathered status by 2013: and
--49 percent to 80 percent of small employer group plans (three to 99 employees)
will lose their grandfathered status by 2013.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkins
In other words, your plan is grandfathered in unless your insurer explicitly makes it worse
by jacking up your deductible or otherwise monkeying with your coverage in an attempt
to (inclined plane) you, which is the basic stated business model of insurance companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance