Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 04:09 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,492,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Meh. Not so much
Pretty sure what you quoted above about plans losing grandfathered status proves my point. Thank you. They new in June 2010 that people would lose their coverage. First off, if you knew insurance you would know that co-payments, coinsurance and monthly payment change every year (actuary, look up the profession). The government knew this and used that as a jump off point to "force" people into ACA. Not sure, look up interviews with the CEO of Aetna, he is brutally honest about the ACA and what it means to people. They even withdrew from the exchange.

Please stop blaming the insurance companies. AND the "increase" you are talking about is $5. Th government is screwing up major.

FYI..Early reports indicate that more people LOST insurance than have signed up.

Last edited by Mr_250; 11-14-2013 at 04:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You are complaining that you have to buy a policy that covers birth control and you don't understand what I said....point being, you pay for a lot of things in your current policy that you will never use, so why is birth control different then that?
Insurance is not an A la carte menu. I do not pick body parts I want to cover. I can't say "ok, this year I want my head, hands and legs covered." No.... Insurance is a hedge against risk which covers the ENTIRE body. How do I know I am not paying for a hip replacement? I might need it or I might need an operation on my stomach or a cast on my arm. I'm not sure what I will need. I am paying insurance to cover all of "the unknown." In one year I could break a hip, break my arm and need back surgery. The next year I could be perfectly healthy and never see a doctor. The three known factors in insurance are 1) my deductible 2) my monthly cost and 3) OVERALL coverage. So yes, I might be paying for a foot surgery and I might never use, but it's there if I need it. Your points are not valid.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:04 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
For the same reason I have to buy auto insurance to cover the uninsured/underinsured driver.
Driving is OPTIONAL. AND that's only true in some states.

State-By-State Insurance Requirements - Vehicle Insurance - Insurance

The federal government has made "healthcare insurance" a MANDATORY TAX. Per the Supreme Court. And that TAX is now being subsidized by SOME taxpayers for OTHERS.

Do you get federal taxpayer subsidies for your uninsured motorist coverage or ANY of your car insurance? NO.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:17 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
It was foreseen, they specifically wrote the law like that which states that a rate increase over $5/month would cause the plan to be illegal.

The government is using the insurance companies as a scapegoat.

ACA will fail because young people are not signing up (which is the main revenue stream for ACA) and 400,000 people will get "free" or "subsided" healthcare that we, the taxpayers, have to support. So these plans might sound better..Tell me how a single male needs to buy an insurance policy that is mandated to cover birth control pills. The USA is on a large downward spiral.
Quote:
Insurance is not an A la carte menu. I do not pick body parts I want to cover. I can't say "ok, this year I want my head, hands and legs covered." No.... Insurance is a hedge against risk which covers the ENTIRE body. How do I know I am not paying for a hip replacement? I might need it or I might need an operation on my stomach or a cast on my arm. I'm not sure what I will need. I am paying insurance to cover all of "the unknown." In one year I could break a hip, break my arm and need back surgery. The next year I could be perfectly healthy and never see a doctor. The three known factors in insurance are 1) my deductible 2) my monthly cost and 3) OVERALL coverage. So yes, I might be paying for a foot surgery and I might never use, but it's there if I need it. Your points are not valid.
I understand that fully..I was responding to a comment YOU made about not needing a plan with birth control pills..... You are complaining about having to have a policy with birth control pills and I was simply pointing out that you pay for a lot of things in your policy that you will never need.....

Old 11-14-2013, 05:34 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Quote:
I understand that fully..I was responding to a comment YOU made about not needing a plan with birth control pills..... You are complaining about having to have a policy with birth control pills and I was simply pointing out that you pay for a lot of things in your policy that you will never need.....
The difference is, the actual FREE MARKET has not existed for insurance in a long time - decades.

However, BUSINESSES have been able to get that broad coverage by volume "discounts" so to speak.

Unions were able to bargain those benefits as part of salary, too.

The company was able to negotiate varying degrees of levels of care if they had enough employees.

NOW, the exchanges are supposed to be providing the same concept - pooled volume discounts. But relying on the VOLUNTARY sign ups of unrelated STRANGERS (not employees). They don't even get the meager FINES that are imposed.

So now we have a bast*rdization of mush that economically makes no sense.

It makes NO SENSE to PENALIZE some people for wanting Big Gulps that they PAY FOR, while facilitating poor people buying crap soda (for example) with other people's money. If we're all that HEALTH CARE CONCERNED.

Utopia dreams are never the answer.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:46 AM

Quote:
I see your point but, in all respect, how do you or anyone know that I will never need those things I pay for in my policy (either today or 3 years from now). I could be certain however, as a male, I will never need birth control pills or you (I'm presuming you are female) will never need a prostate exam. But I'm paying for you and you are paying for me. If one day, I get married and my wife/daughter needs birth control pills I will be more than happy to pay for them. I was not complaining because I am self-insured and ACA can't touch me (fingers crossed), just merely stating a fact. The overall issue I have is that we, as Americans, are being forced to "spread the wealth" is a tough pill for me to swallow (no pun intended). Whats good for the goose is NOT necessarily good for the gander.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:54 AM

9,299 posts, read 14,916,355 times
Three points:

The insurance companies knew for several years that their current plans would not pass muster under the new laws. Wonder why they didn't change them ahead of time instead of canceling people??????? It couldn't be that they WANTED to create chaos- would it ????????

No one has to buy an insurance plan offered via any website state or federal. All one has to do is get covered under any policy of choice. Call a broker, they'll be happy to hear from you. You should be able to get a better policy.

Insurance is insurance against the unforeseen. Most of us never fully use any policy, so why not have the most comprehensive coverage possible? Why complain about what you might not use? Most don't have enough coverage. Home owners' insurance, for example, screws everyone by deliberately EXCLUDING the most common disasters and they've been getting away with for years. It is standardized- everyone gets an HO3 that covers standard issues like a garage (whether you have a garage or not). Part of the ACA was to create parity between male and female policies so that uninsured women did not have to pay a lot more to buy a standard policy. Part of the ACA was stop the EXCLUSIONS (like pre-existing conditions) that were common under previous policies.

Last edited by Hollytree; 11-14-2013 at 06:26 AM..

Old 11-14-2013, 07:19 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Pretty sure what you quoted above about plans losing grandfathered status proves my point.
(BC/BS and the other HI Providers) knew in June 2010 that...

Please stop blaming the insurance companies.
Why? As pointed out they have had over three years to address the matter.
Why is it ONLY the administration that bears responsibility?

The issue remains in HOW the HI companies went about treating their customers.
They took the political softball tossed at them and used it as a way to up rates.
Rates that were too high to begin with and yet you want to hold them harmless.
There's a word for that.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Why? As pointed out they have had over three years to address the matter.
Why is it ONLY the administration that bears responsibility?

The issue remains in HOW the HI companies went about treating their customers.
They took the political softball tossed at them and used it as a way to up rates.
There's a word for that.
As I recall, Obama has stated many many times, "if you like your healthcare, you could keep it. Period." So, if I buy private market insurance I was led to believe that the insurance I bought was going to be left in place and not touched by ACA. As Nancy Pelosi said, "We have to pass the bill to know what's in it." That begs the question, if the people who WROTE the bill didn't even know what was in it how were the insurance agencies supposed to know.

Also note, the insurance companies DID work on it. They worked on making the plans fit to ACA, which in turn raised the prices on existing insurance (because of the new law requiring them to cover more). So, when the prices were raised because of the more extensive coverage the plans offered no longer complied with ACA which states "If any portion of an existing plan changes (be it cost over $5, deductibles, etc) the plan is no longer legal and the plan has to be canceled." Well, if you know insurance you know that plans change yearly based on drug costs, medical cost and other factors. You know that every year people change plans i.e. get married, have kids, need more coverage all of which makes the plan illegal.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:15 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
As I recall, Obama has stated many many times, "if you like your healthcare, you could keep it. Period."
Yeah, we all heard something like that.

I suspect you didn't believe it then either. I know I had my doubts.
And a year or so later when the dust had settled some the reality was discovered.

The issue remains, well for those us who aren't looking for ways to knife Obama in the back,
the issue remains in HOW the HI companies went about treating their customers.

There's a word for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance