Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:09 PM

283 posts, read 1,291,177 times

Advertisements

I am 47, and in pretty good shape. I work out, walk, do cardio work, etc.

Recently (maybe in the past year) I have had bouts of leg cramps at night. They are in my lower leg - calf and/or muscle that runs down the outside of the calf. I cannot shake them. If I flex one way, the main calf muscle hurts. If I flex back the other way, the side muscle locks up.

The only way I have been able to get rid of them is to stand up and bear weight on my leg. Most of the cramps are in the leg that I had ACL surgery on in 2001. I have had no residual issue with my knee since the surgery, and I never had these cramps before they began off and on this year.

Any insight? All I have ever heard is "Eat bananas!" (for potassium)

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 08:40 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird22 View Post

Recently (maybe in the past year) I have had bouts of leg cramps at night. They are in my lower leg - calf and/or muscle that runs down the outside of the calf. I cannot shake them. If I flex one way, the main calf muscle hurts. If I flex back the other way, the side muscle locks up.

The only way I have been able to get rid of them is to stand up and bear weight on my leg. Most of the cramps are in the leg that I had ACL surgery on in 2001. I have had no residual issue with my knee since the surgery, and I never had these cramps before they began off and on this year.

Help!
The 3 things that came to mind while reading your post was:
1)the potassium that you mentioned, 2) are you stretching really well before and after your workouts? and 3) that it may be a lactic acid build up from your workouts.
But i dunno. Do you like to take hot baths? A hot bath with epsom salt (and equal part baking soda [and a little bit of lavender essential oil] if you wanna make it nicer) on a daily basis may help. Rinse afterward.
I have a slant "bed" that i lay upside down on daily for about 20 minutes. This has all sorts of health benefits and is also great for tired, stressed and achy legs. Great for preventing vericose <sp? veins as well. It's not recommended if you have high blood pressure though.
Another thought comes to mind. I use the product Emergen-C for replacing electolites (arrgghhh my spelling!) after hard workouts. This may help as well.
Also, a symptom can show up in the lower leg (for example) but the cause may be coming from somewhere else. It may be good to see a physical therapist or a sports medicine person or a chiropractor (if you know of a good one and are open to that kind of treatment).

Old 03-25-2008, 08:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Sounds like you have ligament damage to me. I do and it tightens at night.If so a heating pad will help .I have a old shoulder injury and have ligament problems quite often.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:47 PM

157 posts, read 624,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird22 View Post

Help!
Are you getting an adequate amount of water everyday? If you are exercising daily your intake should be increased for whatever your activities are. Go to your local health food store and pick up a bottle of calcium/magnesium supplements. Take them in the evening an hour before bedtime and see if it makes a difference. This has worked great for a lot of my freinds who have experienced leg cramps. The combination of calcium/magnesium helps the muscles to relax and drinking lots of water during the day helps to flush any lactic acid build-up that can often be a culprit for leg cramps. You might also try putting a heating pad on your legs and have someone massage them for you. If they continue to cramp you might check with your doctor re: the acl repair and whether there may be any long term effects that may affect your leg muscles to overcompensate or feel more stress from exercise. Even though your knee is great it's always possible to have some residual issues from a surgery affect related areas of the body but only your dr could tell you for sure. Hope you find a remedy that works well for getting rid of the leg cramps. The best to you.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times
I recently watched a program on TV about people suffering from severe leg cramps at night where they had one take a Vitamin B suppliment and the other take quinine in the form of Tonic water a couple of times a day. The expert scientist wasn't expecting that either option would yield good results but apparently both did. Anyway, here's a link to the program. Maybe they might help?

What's the best cure for leg cramps?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:01 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
I used to get the cramps, then my doctor told me to take a magnesium supplement (with food) every day. It helped get rid of them.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:13 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
They hurt like hell don't they? First of all be checked for Diabetis as this is sometimes a symtom. Secondly do not lay down or sleep with your legs elevated above yout torso. Thirdly if you are in a sitting position all day, get up and walk around every hour or so if you can (I know of you are a pilot or truck driver this may be hard). Finally a bottle of Calcium 500D will help you. I got mine from Walgreens and I take one a day and have not had anymore cramping since.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:36 AM

283 posts, read 1,291,177 times
Thanks for the responses. I could probably drink more water. I drink a lot of coffee. Sometimes I am good with the water... sometimes not.

I would bet that a combination of the above would be helpful. I'll report back.

Last night, prior to going to sleep, I drank a pint of water and ate a half of a banana. Not sure if it is directly related to the water/banana theory, but I didn't have the first cramp.

I have a loosly (in my head) scheduled trip to the orthopedic doc, with the mission of getting a recommendation to a Physical Therapist. I got the abbreviated version of PT for my knee, and I think that shortened ligaments may be coming into play, too.

Diabetes theory is interesting (I have 2 siblings that are diabetic), but I don't have any signs of it in my recent labwork. I try to check blood sugar from time to time b/c of family history.

Again, many thanks for the responses.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:39 AM

756 posts, read 2,574,684 times
Restless Leg Syndrome

Old 03-26-2008, 06:07 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,468 times
Everything here sounds like good advice. I'm 48... My Mom had night-time leg cramps for years, so I have always wondered if it is part genetics as well.

When I *forget* to watch my fluid intake I get the same thing... cramps in front and back, so no matter WHICH way I stretch it gets worse. Tonic Water has been my emergency friend for years... it works and quickly. (for me) Add some lemon or lime juice to counter the bitterness and it is really refreshing, especially in the summertime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness