Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:40 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,845,339 times

Advertisements

fwiw "eating like a bird" isn't a good analogy - most birds eat up to 3 times their body weight per day - unless of course you mean "eat like a bird' to mean eat constantly..........just sayin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 08:51 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,080,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't have kids, but most of my friends and family do, some of them, like justthe6ofus are on top of what the kids eat. A lot of them, however, seem to cop out and feed their kids crap. "Oh, Mikey will only eat tater tots." It just seems like kids should be eating well from the get-go, rather than being fed countless chicken nuggets and french fries and fruit snacks, none of which is healthy. Lots of kids are finicky, I get that, but there has to be a happy medium that's better than teaching them bad habits.
I agree with what you've said.

Out of my 4 kids my youngest is my only picky eater...and in this house we don't cater to picky.

He gets served what the rest of us are eating. They know there is NO complaining. If you don't like something, pick out the parts you don't like. If you can't eat it, breakfast is only 12 hours away.

What REALLY gets me going is when people assume that all kids eat chicken nuggets and fries and that's the only offering. We have been to a few organized events (weddings, formal dinners...kids were invited) and while all the adults were having grilled meats, fish..etc and a veggie side dish, the kids were given chicken nuggests and fries. No veggie, no salad. Dh and I usually wind up splitting our meals with the kids and asked for 4 extra salads.

My kids don't order off the "kiddie" menu at restaurants either. My two older boys usually get their own adult meal (they don't finish but we take home their leftovers) and my two younger children will split an adult meal (again, with leftovers). Sure, we want the coloring page and crayons, just bring them REAL food, not chicken nuggests and fries. Drives me crazy!

Old 10-27-2010, 02:07 PM

7,141 posts, read 12,678,151 times
Well if we're unhealthy, get diabetes, heart conditions, cancers, etc. from our poor lifestyle choices, someone's making a lot of money on us...such as pharmaceutical, lose weight products & the medical industry, for example. It's a circular chain, isn't it, with us as the profitable lab rats...

I wonder why our govt. subsidizes the corn crops used in high fructose corn syrup, but not spinach or broccoli, for example???

Or am I just being too cynical??

Old 10-27-2010, 02:15 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,050,034 times
Cool rephrasing my thoughts.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
ROFL......most "fake" foods have little to no calories; hence the terminology low fat.......no fat........low calorie etc........I still stand by my opinion that obesity is more a lack of exercise and unhealthy/sedate lifestyles rather than processed foods...

It's FAR easier to blame food rather than our lifestyles...where people feel like they are "too good" to walk or bicycle.....so instead of searching within ourselves for answers, we blame food or external forces....the easy "cop out".

IF it was mainly a food problem than...IMHO....almost everyone would be overweight.....I eat tons of food and processed foods too...yet I still maintain an ideal body weight and I'm over 50 years old now....but I walk and bicycle and have a physical job as a Nurse on the floor..
I'm not blaming FOOD for the epidemic of obesity in our country and perhaps other countries. Yes, food is the culprit IMHO but it is people who make the choices. People choose unhealthy food. People choose over processed food ~~ or should I say NON-FOOD

People choose the food !

Many individuals (including myself) are not able to exercise sufficiently due to disability or other issues. They can still maintain a healthy immune system by their choices in what to eat. It is really very simple ~~ choose to be healthy (without prescription drugs) by choosing to eat real food from nature unadulterated by processing ~ in moderation

Old 10-27-2010, 03:17 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,581,046 times
When I went to school back in the dark ages, there was only 1 obese person in the whole school. I worked at a school up until 15 years ago and there were a lot of obese kids.

I work with a crew of men that 50% of them are obese and they don't care one bit. The one that bothers me the most is the one who sits and plays games on his "box" all day and into the night, he has 2 young sons and they have one too and they play each other all the time. Lunch consists of them getting in the car and driving through 3 different drive through to get each ones favorite food, then back home to eat it and get back on the "box".. He is teaching those boys that he professes to love so much, the same bad habits that got him morbidly obese and they are fat kids.

I asked him one time if they have bikes and do they ever go out as a family and ride bikes, play ball or do things outside. He looked at me like I was a bloody idiot! Around Christmas one time he asked for suggestions as to what to get his kids and the wife.. I said "BIKES!".. Nope, she got jewelry, they got games for their "box"..

Todays obesity problem is the combination of food and lack education and exercise.

Those so called healthy food out there that really are not healthy, the trickery in the food they are putting out should NOT be allowed. Where is big brother that is telling us to get healthy but allows food like that to be sold and labeled "healthy"? The joke on the serving size that is such a small amount that nobody EVER follows that so because it says "lo-fat" they think it is ok to use 1/2 a bottle of salad dressing. I could go on but I will get off my soap box on the trickery they use to fool us with their labels.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:51 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,050,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
When I went to school back in the dark ages, there was only 1 obese person in the whole school. I worked at a school up until 15 years ago and there were a lot of obese kids.

I work with a crew of men that 50% of them are obese and they don't care one bit. The one that bothers me the most is the one who sits and plays games on his "box" all day and into the night, he has 2 young sons and they have one too and they play each other all the time. Lunch consists of them getting in the car and driving through 3 different drive through to get each ones favorite food, then back home to eat it and get back on the "box".. He is teaching those boys that he professes to love so much, the same bad habits that got him morbidly obese and they are fat kids.

I asked him one time if they have bikes and do they ever go out as a family and ride bikes, play ball or do things outside. He looked at me like I was a bloody idiot! Around Christmas one time he asked for suggestions as to what to get his kids and the wife.. I said "BIKES!".. Nope, she got jewelry, they got games for their "box"..

Todays obesity problem is the combination of food and lack education and exercise.

Those so called healthy food out there that really are not healthy, the trickery in the food they are putting out should NOT be allowed. Where is big brother that is telling us to get healthy but allows food like that to be sold and labeled "healthy"? The joke on the serving size that is such a small amount that nobody EVER follows that so because it says "lo-fat" they think it is ok to use 1/2 a bottle of salad dressing. I could go on but I will get off my soap box on the trickery they use to fool us with their labels.
This is so true ~ the processed food manufacturers use every trick in the book plus very clever marketing to fool the consumers into thinking their non-food is healthy

But, IMHO it is possible to educate ourselves so we do not fall prey to their tactics. After all, WE (not big-brother) are responsible for our own wellness

Old 10-27-2010, 04:21 PM

Yep we do control what we put in our mouths and how much (or little) we exercise. But it takes iron willpower, sometimes, to fly in the face of the 'fast-food' lifestyle we're being sold as a steady (and unhealthy) diet...

Old 10-27-2010, 05:19 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,886 times
I'm a 54 year old woman, so grew up in the 60's and 70's. I ate junk food back then also. I had McDonalds, Taco Bell, ate chips and ice cream.I think one big difference is there was no such as "super sizing". I mentioned this in another thread as well. Now-a-days, it is impossible to order a small drink! A so called "small" drink is HUGE! I think we have a lot more choices of junky food, but we are diffinately given a whole lot more of it. But, like others have said, I walked/ran and biked everywhere! We were outside all the time. I live in a neighborhood now where parents drive their kids 3-4 blocks to school. And if it rains or snows, forget it! No one walks!

Old 10-27-2010, 06:11 PM

I love seeing kids on bikes, but it's grown more rare..in our town, I'm more likely to see a retired person pedaling around town to stay fit...parents! Drive your kids from in front of their screens and get them outside exercising..even better, ride together as a family...good for everyone. And it doesn't cost much at all. We got our bikes at a garage sale for very little.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:45 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,535,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
It's not "testy and immature" it's just I am tired of do-gooders (government included) telling me what is healthy, what is safe, what is normal etc etc etc.

Mayhaps it's still not settled because this is a democracy and most people still don't believe it's a major problem?

I would think people are more concerned about loosing their jobs, making ends meet and seeing their children get a good education than people being overweight.

One question, why is "our country" being singled out? According to the WHO over one billion people worldwide are overweight with urban Samoa having the highest overweight population.

If this is such a huge issue I suggest you move this/open a new thread in the World section and get feedback from there.
Nobody said it was NOT a world wide problem...but it is mainly just developed countries. Also the pictoral link and other links I posted were for the United States only.

I'm more concerned with the U.S. ramifications as is the majority of the forum. The moderators were kind enough to move this thread to the HEALTH Forum where it can get more exposure...I THANK THEM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness