Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2008, 09:08 PM

217 posts, read 1,003,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
yes i to agree with this, my wife is on it. she also has had two back operations. i have had a back operation also but im only on lortabe. i had a replacement disc put in and am very lucky to not have alot of back pain any more. i also had siatica before i had my operation so i know what it feels like.
Hi. Sorry, I'm allergic to it. Thanks,bye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Have you ever had a nerve block??
Hi Greatday. No I haven't. I wasn't aware you could do a nerve block on a human. Iv'e heard of it for horses. Thanks. More food for thought.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:16 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have a list of new things to try. Hope I didn't miss someone. Best to all of you, skitow-Patrick.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:55 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,313,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitow View Post
Hi Greatday. No I haven't. I wasn't aware you could do a nerve block on a human. Iv'e heard of it for horses. Thanks. More food for thought.
my wife tried nerve blocks. they worked for a week or so . she had four of them with not much luck. but she said they are very painfull.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:23 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,857,820 times
Hi skitow, I know what you mean about the simplest things working. We call baking soda Bi Carbonate of Soda and it works a treat on heartburn, indigestion. One or two huge burps and it's gone. Will be interested in how the backaide helps you. Can they not fuse the vertebrae. Have you tried a TENS machine?
Hope you get some relief . Back pain is terrible.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:01 PM
tao

721 posts, read 3,191,410 times
My heart goes out to you.

This is a very raw subject for me as I'm one month into recovering from back surgery and 2 years of pure hell. I don't have much in terms of med suggestions - the only thing that's worked for me has been Percocet (oxycodone) and Flexeril. Lyrica had horrible side effects. Vicodan makes me sick. So does Skelaxin. Mobic was too scary with it's potential side effects (I'm a smoker). Once I found the Percocet/Flexeril combo (plus icing then heating my back for 20 minutes each) worked well enough to manage the pain I stopped trying other drugs. Eventually it wasn't enough and I went ahead and had the surgery last month. I've managed to wean down from 8 Percocet a day to 3 or 4 a day now. I'm hoping my surgery will be a complete success as I can't take much more of this. I'm in less pain than I was before the surgery - but I still have good days and bad days.

I just wanted to post and say I'm sorry you're going through this and I hope you find something soon that will heal you and end the pain.

One thing that may be of interest...I know somewhere in Florida there's a surgeon who does the spinal surgeries using a laser. My contractor told me his dad had three unsucessful surgeries over the years and then had the laser surgery with that doctor and he was playing golf two weeks later. If that sounds like something you'd want to look into, DM me and I'll ask the contractor for the doctor's name and location.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
my wife tried nerve blocks. they worked for a week or so . she had four of them with not much luck. but she said they are very painfull.
Hi. I will definitly NOT try nerve blocks then. Be nice to her. I know her pain. Why don't you buy her a dozen roses? Might help get her mind off of her suffering. Take care, skitow

Old 05-25-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Hi skitow, I know what you mean about the simplest things working. We call baking soda Bi Carbonate of Soda and it works a treat on heartburn, indigestion. One or two huge burps and it's gone. Will be interested in how the backaide helps you. Can they not fuse the vertebrae. Have you tried a TENS machine?
Hope you get some relief . Back pain is terrible.
Hi. They can't fuse because there is so much damage in my lumbar spine. No one will touch me. At least the top notch docs won't. Sorry, but backaid is high dosage acetaminophen(tylenol). I'm way past that. Yes I do have a TENS. In fact, I have two. Plus a back massager. I don't use the TENS much. I got sick of getting shocked. I'm glad you brought it up. I need to fire it up again. Have you had your BI CARB today? I have. I ate some ice cream(burb). Have a good day, skitow.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
My heart goes out to you.

This is a very raw subject for me as I'm one month into recovering from back surgery and 2 years of pure hell. I don't have much in terms of med suggestions - the only thing that's worked for me has been Percocet (oxycodone) and Flexeril. Lyrica had horrible side effects. Vicodan makes me sick. So does Skelaxin. Mobic was too scary with it's potential side effects (I'm a smoker). Once I found the Percocet/Flexeril combo (plus icing then heating my back for 20 minutes each) worked well enough to manage the pain I stopped trying other drugs. Eventually it wasn't enough and I went ahead and had the surgery last month. I've managed to wean down from 8 Percocet a day to 3 or 4 a day now. I'm hoping my surgery will be a complete success as I can't take much more of this. I'm in less pain than I was before the surgery - but I still have good days and bad days.

I just wanted to post and say I'm sorry you're going through this and I hope you find something soon that will heal you and end the pain.

One thing that may be of interest...I know somewhere in Florida there's a surgeon who does the spinal surgeries using a laser. My contractor told me his dad had three unsucessful surgeries over the years and then had the laser surgery with that doctor and he was playing golf two weeks later. If that sounds like something you'd want to look into, DM me and I'll ask the contractor for the doctor's name and location.
Hi tao. It sucks doesn't it. I hate to tell you this, but you'll probably have good and bad days for life. I hope I'm wrong. If you're only one month out of surgery, DO NOT go back to work for at least 3 months. If you do physical labor, make that a good 4 months. I speak from experience. My first ops, my doctor kept me off work for 41/2 months. I am an aircraft mechanic. Still I went through HELL for the first month limbering up my back muscles. My second ops, I went back to work after 3 months. Huge mistake. I wasn't fit for my type of work. It was the worst hell you can imagine. I could barely finish a shift. After 2 years I had to call it quits. I was 42 and had tears running down my face from the pain. A grown man. That's when I started the PT and went from doctor to doctor. I'm screwed. My back is totally shot. If and when you go back to work, TAKE THINGS SLOW AND EASY. You don't want to end up like me. Dead broke and always in ungodly pain. No thanks for more surgery. There is just too much damage to my back. Thanks for the offer. Take it easy, best of luck to you, Patrick.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:13 PM

Hi all. Just to add a quick note here. I found some SOMA in my stash of suck drugs. I've been on SOMA for 2 days now and haven't had any bad reactions. It stopped the spasms, but does nothing for the pain. I will be seeing my sweet Doctor Betsy this week. I Really feel for you fellow sufferers. It sure changes your life. Smile wide, skitow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness